JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
my father was a 19 year old navigator with the air branch of the OSS during WW2
he once told me special operators were issued the High Standard 22, but the air crews still carried the 1911
the OSS used many types of aircraft from captured German aircraft, C 47s and stripped down B 24s
it's possible this gentleman was part of the OSS air group and received this pistol in a trade from an operator

Alford Crew.jpg

my father was a 19 year old navigator with the air branch of the OSS during WW2
he once told me special operators were issued the High Standard 22, but the air crews still carried the 1911
the OSS used many types of aircraft from captured German aircraft, C 47s and stripped down B 24s
it's possible this gentleman was part of the OSS air group and received this pistol in a trade from an operator

View attachment 717104
Yes most of the the information we found about this pistol mentioned the oss
And some special forces in Vietnam.

I guess it was the go too gun .
For special 'stuff' lol.
One of the first surppessed gun's.
According to records the U2 pilot Gary Powers had one with him.

Well, good news/bad news, it's NOT suppressed if you were unsure, so that's the good news! Bad news, it's not suppressed! LOL
These are super easy to change barrels on so it's likely if it ever was issued with a suppressor, they swapped the barrel out and transferred it over for civilian surplus sales!

For reference.
1593664879064.png

Well, good news/bad news, it's NOT suppressed if you were unsure, so that's the good news! Bad news, it's not suppressed! LOL
These are super easy to change barrels on so it's likely if it ever was issued with a suppressor, they swapped the barrel out and transferred it over for civilian surplus sales!

For reference.
View attachment 717109
Yes after we went back and forth looking at the pictures we had.
It looks like a bull barrel.
But we could not be sure.
From looking around on the web.
There are different versions .
Bull barrel built-in surppesser or thread barrel for surppesser.
Or just a regular barrel.
Training gun .
Issue gun .
Special forces.gun .
But like you said the paint job .
Or the treatment on it kinda gives it away.
It was a military issued gun.

Yes most of the the information we found about this pistol mentioned the oss
And some special forces in Vietnam.

I got more info on my grandfather

He was a Master Sargent in The US Army Air Corps and flew a A-6 intruder. And later was promoted to Captain at the end of his service.

Now to learn more about the Pistol lol if this helps us :D

I got more info on my grandfather

He was a Master Sargent in The US Army Air Corps and flew a A-6 intruder. And later was promoted to Captain at the end of his service.

Now to learn more about the Pistol lol if this helps us :D
That would be Vietnam not WW2
The A6 didn't come out till the 60s .
Probably got grandfather and uncle mixed up here.

No big deal my mom does the same thing with me and my brother and are grandfather and my sister and her kids.
And none of US HAVE BEEN TO WAR.
Except our grandfather.

Last Edited:
In the AirCorps, a pilot would have to be a Lieutenant or better, especially as a command pilot ( Like bombers) as the A.A.F didn't have a Warrant Officer program like the regular army did/does! ( A Sargent would have been a crew member at the most) Most pilots did their advanced flight training in the AT-6 Texan ( which is likely what your referring to) before getting their first high performance single engine aircraft assignment or moving on to multi engine trainers to transition into transports or bombers! Working with the OSS would have flown almost exclusively the Westland Lysander S.T.O.L. aircraft, with a hand full of other aircraft, usually field modified or special long range bomber conversions for speed and range with multiple jumpers! With the Lysander, they could drop or land someone in Europe, then go back and pick them up later, being able to land very short in the numerous farm fields! They were an extremely successful aircraft, made super trick when we Americans got a hold of them and fitted them with very effective mufflers, special propellers, and flash suppression exhaust systems, Water Methanol injection, big balloon tires long before Tundra Tires were popular and a number of other neato mods!

AT-6
1593672770437.png

Lysander
1593672818362.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews