JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My understanding is that this isn't quite correct, but do correct me if I'm mistaken.

I tried looking for original sources (or at least translations thereof) for this, but most results for this question are just other forums... and unfortunately there is quite a bit of forum lore out there that is plain untrue (for example that CZ-52's are "stronger" in construction than TT's).

According to Max Popenker (who is about as authoritative a source on Russian/Soviet small arms as exists), the intention that the rifle be fired with bayonet affixed applies to most patterns of Mosin up until the M38. This suggests by the 1944 pattern (ie M44) this was no longer the case. I'm aware that the M38 doesn't have the option of a bayonet, but the way Popenker's article reads, this ceased to be standard practice for every pattern designed from 1938 onwards.
My M44's shoot better with bayonet out. That does not mean that is how they were intended. I believe the Soviets issued its soldiers an 'accurate enough' rifle and told them to do thier part. And these short rifles are pretty good shooters in my opinion. Hot surplus ammo does give a pretty good kick...

IMG_20191223_165259476.jpg

Parts correct October, 1942 with a brand new lend lease barrel M1.

1903A3

Last Edited:
Both new/damaged from Numrich. Believe finish was several light coats of Minwax Early American stain then tung oil over that. Been awhile since I did them tried alot of stains and stuff to get the finish I was after.

I've already built the 03a4, but still getting geared up for the 1941 with the Unertl. Did you you a repro scope or find an old Unertl to use?
Went with a HiLux? repro scope is not bad but mount's are horrible! Soft metal and screws just have to be careful with them. Want to upgrade at some point. Just hard to justify the original scopes I have found. And need to fix the front mount as its offset alittle. Used the holes that were already drilled when I bought it.

Went with a HiLux? repro scope is not bad but mount's are horrible! Soft metal and screws just have to be careful with them. Want to upgrade at some point. Just hard to justify the original scopes I have found. And need to fix the front mount as its offset alittle. Used the holes that were already drilled when I bought it.

I'd heard that about the mounts as well. Was thinking of replacing them with DZ Arms Unertl Mounts (Posa style) - DZ Arms

Talk to Dewayne Greiner about getting a set of the real thing - you will NOT be sorry. He is a great guy to deal with and a fount all all things Unertl-y.

This here is a 1952 x18 Unertl scope on my 1957 BSA leftie MkII International...

1577810751441.png
1577810821060.png

No recoil spring as it's just a .22LR....

Was going to the range, but this weather sucks. It gave me the opportunity to at least take some pics.

The M1s. The Garand, is the one that went "boom" in previous thread, now back to spec.

M1s.JPG

And my 03s. Upper is a Smith Corona on a post war stock, Augusta Arsenal rebuild. Lower is a Remington I brought back from a sportster with a new stock and a parts kit from Sarco. Stock got a mix of BLO and Fiebing's dark brown leather dye to get the color I wanted.

03A3s.JPG

And since we are talking about what grandfathers shot... Here is what my did, although I don't have pics of his actual tank. Also , he did not get assigned to a t-34/85 until almost the end of the war. Most of his adventures were in the t-34/76. And yes, he was a Communist to the core...

T-34 1st.jpg

I just got this first one $cheap from a guy who was closing down his shop in Colorado and liquidating all inventory. 1941 Enfield LIthgow SMLE, matching nose cap and receiver serial #'s. Factory Through Repair, but retains Australian markings on the stock. Smooth action and awesome trigger, lighter pull and cleaner break than my Long Branch No. 4.

The second one is my 1943 M1 Carbine, Inland Mfg. Unfortunately I have some vehicle repairs, so I will be posting this one up for sale tomorrow morning on NWFA. It has a canted front sight, other than that works flawlessly.

IMG_9761 (4).jpg M1 Carbine_5-27-19B.jpg

The second one is my 1943 M1 Carbine, Inland Mfg. Unfortunately I have some vehicle repairs, so I will be posting this one up for sale tomorrow morning on NWFA. It has a canted front sight, other than that works flawlessly.

View attachment 652620

My carbine had a canted front sight and offset rear sight to compensate. The rear sight was not just adjusted all the way to one side, it was pushed in the mount. An armorer that worked on it told me the barrel was over tightened when it was put on last, probably during refurbishment, and thus the front sight cant which then necessitated the rear sight to be moved. He adjusted the barrel and corrected the issue. Carbine3.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top