JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I want to pick up a Garand, but I refuse to be put through the 1639 BS.

A bolt gun would be cool, if I could find a 1917 Remington Enfield that is not overpriced I would not mind buying it.

My Great Grandfather (Mom's side) was in WW1, so I imagine it would bring a bit of a nostalgic feel with it.
My Father's side is Canadian, so I'm going to guess they used the same thing in WW1 as the British but the type escapes me at the moment.
If you get your C&R FFL then since it bypasses 1639, & Garands are C&R, then the CMP can send directly to your door, or if you spot one, you can buy it & take it right home.

1933 Tikkakoski m/27, with original prewar stock lacquer which is fairly rare, first model nosecap and initials "VL" carved into the stock.

20200921_201800.jpg

Sarchet, those pre war Finn stock are very rare, they saw intense combat in 2 wars
here is my 1928 Finn M28 with a SIG barrel and an M28-31 pot belly stock, but the original rear sight, probably a post War armory rebuild
the SY specifies a Civil Guard rifle, the local unit designation is stamped below the stock
this is a SAKO built rifle

P1030951.JPG P1030953.JPG P1030959.JPG

Sarchet, those pre war Finn stock are very rare, they saw intense combat in 2 wars
here is my 1928 Finn M28 with a SIG barrel and an M28-31 pot belly stock, but the original rear sight, probably a post War armory rebuild
the SY specifies a Civil Guard rifle, the local unit designation is stamped below the stock
this is a SAKO built rifle

View attachment 760623 View attachment 760624 View attachment 760625
I'm not familiar with a Sako made M28 especially with a SIG barrel. Are there Sako markings on the metal?

Contrary to the common belief that the M39 saw a lot of duty in WW2, the M27 did most of the heavy lifting as far as Finn bolt action rifles were concerned.
the M27 was the main rifle for the Finn regular Army, true
the Civil Guard and the Finn Army used two different rifles until the Civil Guard was absorbed into the Finn Army in 1944
since most if not all of the Civil Guard rifles were personally owned, the M28 and M28-31 stayed in service through both the Winter War and Continuation War
Sako had an upgrade program for the M28 to match most of the M39 specification, so many Civil Guard just upgraded their existing rifles with their own funds

" A quarter of the manpower of the field army consisted of Guard members. This contribution proved important, as Guard members were the best trained and equipped personnel in an army which lacked even basic supplies. "

on my M28, one can see the SA stamp on the barrel, where is was inspected and accepted by the Finn Regular Army in '44

Finn M28 add.jpg

I'm not familiar with a Sako made M28 especially with a SIG barrel. Are there Sako markings on the metal?
yes, SIG made 20,000 barrels for SAKO according to Doug Bowser in his book "RIFLES OF THE WHITE DEATH"
the Tikka manufactured barrels had a T in a triangle under the SY on the barrel shank, the SIG barrels did not
according to Doug, of the 33.016 M28 made by SAKO, only 13,000 had Tikka barrels
only 16,699 were inventoried into the Regular Army in 1944
there is a SIG proof mark under the woodline, I'll try to get to mine soon and take photo with the stock off

this is also covered on 7.62x54r.net

I was fortunate to get a 1998 copy of Doug Bowser's book, good reading if you're a Finn Mosin fan

the M27 was the main rifle for the Finn regular Army, true
the Civil Guard and the Finn Army used two different rifles until the Civil Guard was absorbed into the Finn Army in 1944
since most if not all of the Civil Guard rifles were personally owned, the M28 and M28-31 stayed in service through both the Winter War and Continuation War
Sako had an upgrade program for the M28 to match most of the M39 specification, so many Civil Guard just upgraded their existing rifles with their own funds

" A quarter of the manpower of the field army consisted of Guard members. This contribution proved important, as Guard members were the best trained and equipped personnel in an army which lacked even basic supplies. "

on my M28, one can see the SA stamp on the barrel, where is was inspected and accepted by the Finn Regular Army in '44

View attachment 760631
I am very familiar with the history and own a SIG barreled M28 along with a M27 and a handful of M39's.
You stated that yours was Sako made. Do you have Sako markings on the metal? Is your serial number in the first 900?

according to my information the M28 was assembled at the Arms and Engineering workshop of the Civil Guard in Riihimaki, which is referred to as SAKO
my barrel is stamped "27"
my rifle is in the 4000 range
according to the SAKO web site, production was started in Riihimaki in 1927, but the term SAKO was not used until early '30s

according to my information the M28 was assembled at the Arms and Engineering workshop of the Civil Guard in Riihimaki, which is referred to as SAKO
my barrel is stamped "27"
my rifle is in the 4000 range
according to the SAKO web site, production was started in Riihimaki in 1927, but the term SAKO was not used until early '30s
They were assembled at Sako not made by Sako. Sako made about 900 barrels, very early. Mine like your is the part of the first batch of SIG barrels. 1927 dated.

They were assembled at Sako not made by Sako. Sako made about 900 barrels, very early. Mine like your is the part of the first batch of SIG barrels. 1927 dated.
ok, I grant you, it was assembled by SAKO, not fully manufactured by SAKO
in my post I used the term "built"
no matter what name it was built under, it's a fine rifle
the 2 stage trigger on my M28 is better than the trigger on my M39
on the stock I have there is a second crossbolt near the muzzle and a set of steel strips imbed the length of the for stock
wire swivels also installed - it looks like a spliced M28-30 stock

ok, I grant you, it was assembled by SAKO, not fully manufactured by SAKO
in my post I used the term "built"
no matter what name it was built under, it's a fine rifle
the 2 stage trigger on my M28 is better than the trigger on my M39
on the stock I have there is a second crossbolt near the muzzle and a set of steel strips imbed the length of the for stock
wire swivels also installed - it looks like a spliced M28-30 stock
Sako was very keen about claiming glory in anything the made. Hence the bold stampings on later rifles. Your wood looks postwar because of the dowels used on blemishes but I'm not familiar enough to know for sure. If you have one handy could you post a picture of the splice you were describing? And the underneath in general?

Sako was very keen about claiming glory in anything the made. Hence the bold stampings on later rifles. Your wood looks postwar because of the dowels used on blemishes but I'm not familiar enough to know for sure. If you have one handy could you post a picture of the splice you were describing? And the underneath in general?
here you go, typical "Finn Splice" to prevent stock warpage
I relieved the stock under the barrel myself, pressure only at the front lug and front barrel band
corked the barrel under the front band
no accuracy collar on this one

20201010_105133.jpg 20201010_105248.jpg

here you go, typical "Finn Splice" to prevent stock warpage
I relieved the stock under the barrel myself, pressure only at the front lug and front barrel band
corked the barrel under the front band
no accuracy collar on this one

View attachment 760696 View attachment 760697

Definitely a postwar stock splice. Wartime/prewar splices have round, tapered fingers - I'll snap a picture of mine today.

It's nice to see a discussion about the M28. Most people have never heard of them. I bought mine in the late '80s, my first Mosin-Nagant. It has a SIG barrel and an 1897 Izhevsk receiver. I paid $65 for it at a gun show in Reedsport and didn't know what it was.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top