Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Post Office Parking Lot/Property Amendment

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by biglos, Sep 2, 2014.

1. biglos

biglos Everett New Member

Can't find any clear information about the Post Office Parking Lot/Property Amendment for having a firearm in your vehicle when on Post office property. I'm also referring to the State of Washington if anything specific. Anyone have any legal updates?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  2. GunRightsCoalition

GunRightsCoalition Vancouver Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I might be wrong but I think this is grounded in case law.

3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I was at the main PO in Vancouver today. I purposely parked on the street and left ALL my weapons and spare mags in the car even though I am legally allowed to park in the handicapped spots. I'm too old and don't want to spend my retirement nest egg fighting something I can easily avoid!

4. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I think the laws apply to the buildings.

You are pretty safe with your firearms stored in your car - if they are legally stored in the car while on a public street, then you are fine in a parking lot.

The exception might be if you went onto a military installation, such as McChord AFB, where different rules and laws apply.

The USPS is not going to be searching cars for firearms.

5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

The post office in my town has neither metal detectors or armed security. Therefore, what they don't know won't hurt me.

6. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Same here in this little 2 bit town I live by, they could care less if we CC there. The postal employees (when appropriate) always asks how the battle goes (2A) when I come in...

U201491 and Redcap like this.
  7. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Hey Jim :)
    Isn't it all just about the federal laws on federal property up there same as here?

8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I'm sure it is, in the big cities (especially Olympia where I frequently visit) they are very watchful so will not cc there.

9. biglos

biglos Everett New Member

Ok I did find this!

www.nagr.org/NAGR-Wins-Right-to-Carry-on-USPS-Property.pdf

10. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

What kind of concealed is it when people can see you're carrying? Seems a little counter-intuitive?

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

If you look at the regs from the PO general you can posses a firearm on PO property if you are conducting legal business or any legal activity like walking down the road and you need to check your PO box.
    It is not illegal to have a concealed weapon OR OC weapon on PO property.......if you are conducting legal activities
    So if you are a bank robber and enter PO property,you are illegal.But if you are checking your mail,then you can ,in fact have a concealed weapon on your person
    I did conferm this with a very gun friendly lawyer also.

No you find the link

Redcap likes this.
  12. deen_ad

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Well, that's a Denver Federal Judge, but it doesn't apply to the whole US as I understand it.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

U201491 likes this.
  13. deen_ad

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Problem is: Will the LEO understand that or will you end up in court and have to pay big $$ to an attorney?
    I'm too old and poor to be a test case!

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

14. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Yep that is just about the way it will go. Let the naive do the test cases and spend all their money.
    I'll use mine for Ammo :D

15. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

For whats it worth, I was told by a post office employee that local LEO/sheriff do not have jurisdiction on federal property, only federal law enforcement. ...No, I'm not a lawyer or an expert on federal law......;)