JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I believe that the post office inclusion has it's at it's basis, employees not being allowed to carry. They had to include the general public in the law since the union lobbied for the regs being unfair, if just their employees were singled out as not being allowed to carry.

I believe that the post office inclusion has it's at it's basis, employees not being allowed to carry. They had to include the general public in the law since the union lobbied for the regs being unfair, if just their employees were singled out as not being allowed to carry.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that, but can the USPS, based on the terms of a Union contract, deny someone their 2A rights? What if the union contract stated anyone can be searched at any time on USPS property without reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed?

To a point many business places have done just this.

Random Drug ( blood or urine ) test can occur as the word applies randomly. Why the premise is it created a safe working environment.
That is also the same argument for 2nd amendment violation in that it helps creates a safe working environment.

How many are told they must take a drug test that have no history or signs of taking drugs ? Been going on routinely for nearly 20 years I think.

So kinda the same thing sorta taking your blood or urine and searching you seem like a personal violation all the same
cause not needed apparently.

I take your point, but are USPS buildings public or private property? I'm asking the question because I honestly don't know. If they are private property, they can do almost anything they want, but if it is public property with no compelling reason that weapons should be banned, such as a court house or Jail, can they limit your constitutional rights?

Postal property is federal
property

And you can support that statement how? The property that post offices sit on are many times leased. And the USPS is NOT a governmental agency. It gets funding from the federal government but it is not actually a government agency.

My company policy says exactly that. We can be searched and so can our vehicles if parked on company property.

Same here and they conduct routine searches with dogs. I avoid parking on company property. The company was sued by state with help from NRA and lost. But Ok. Has a law on books that requires employers allow workers to have guns locked in vehicles where they work.

And you can support that statement how? The property that post offices sit on are many times leased. And the USPS is NOT a governmental agency. It gets funding from the federal government but it is not actually a government agency.

You got anything to support that.

Federal Gov doesn't fund the USPS, it is self supporting.

Since when is the USPS not a government agency, it is controlled by Congress.

Mobile Desktop

Text is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 ; additional terms may apply.

Terms of Use Privacy

United States Postal Service

History

Current operations

Collecting private data

Budget

Governance and organization

Universal service obligation and monopoly status

Law enforcement agencies

Elements of addressing and preparing domestic mail

Paying postage

Service level choices

Sorting and delivery process

Delivery timing

Employment in the USPS

Violence as "going postal"

In fiction

See also

References

Further reading

External links

Read in another language Read in another language

Last modified 2 days ago

"United States Post Office" redirects here. For individual post offices, see List of United States Post Offices. "USPS" redirects here. For the non-profit boating safety and education organization, see United States Power Squadrons. "USPS" redirects here. It is not to be confused with UPS, the abbreviation of the United Parcel Service..

United States Postal Service

Logo used since 1993

Agency overview

Formed July 1, 1971 Washington, D.C. [1]

Headquarters 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW Washington, DC 20260-0004

Employees 546,000 (2012 Career Employees) [2]

Annual budget $70.634 billion (2011) [3]

Agency executive Patrick R. Donahoe, Postmaster General

Key document Postal Clause of the United States Constitution

Website

USPS.com

The full eagle logo, used in various versions from 1970 to 1993.

The United States Postal Service (USPS), also known as the Post Office and U.S. Mail, is an independent agency of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution. The USPS traces its roots to 1775 during the Second Continental Congress, where Benjamin Franklin was appointed the first postmaster general. The cabinet-level Post Office Department was created in 1792 from Franklin's operation and transformed into its current form in 1971 under the Postal Reorganization Act.

The USPS employs over 574,000 workers and operates over 260,000 vehicles. [4]

The USPS is the operator of the largest vehicle fleet in the world. [5] The USPS is legally obligated to serve all Americans, regardless of geography, at uniform price and quality. The USPS has exclusive access to letter boxes marked "U.S. Mail" and personal letterboxes in the United States, but still competes against private package delivery services, such as UPS and FedEx. [6]

The USPS has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s with the minor exception of subsidies for costs associated with the disabled and overseas voters. Since the 2006 all-time peak mail volume, [7] after which Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act", [8]

(which mandated $5.5 billion per year to be paid into an account to pre-fund retiree health-care, 75 years into the future, a requirement unique among organizations and businesses in the U.S. [9] ), revenue dropped sharply due to recession-influenced [10] declining mail volume, [11] prompting the postal service to look to other sources of revenue while cutting costs to reduce its budget deficit. [12]

The answer seems pretty clear to me. Federal money = federal rules.

If memory serves congress allocates about 96 billion to the USPS. Of course the bulk of the USPS budget comes from postage revenues.

My company policy says exactly that. We can be searched and so can our vehicles if parked on company property.

So does my company (UPS).

Funny thing is, no one ever seems to get worked up about the row of trucks, campers and trailers full oif camping gear that are all parked in the back row on the Friday before the opening morning of deer hunting season.

But then again, maybe those guys made sure to leave their deer rifles at home.

However this shakes out -
Parking lot OK = good news.
Since outhouses in a Federal Forest are federal buildings and thus off limits to firearms, I wouldn't go inside the Post Office area - not even the self-serve area.

As for the Post Office-Like facilities, such as mail counter in a grocery store - above my pay grade, but I will treat them as if they were a regular post office.

I know the law is not settled yet, but in my rare and brief visits to the post office I rely on two things:

1) Concealed is concealed
2) Exception to the no-guns in federal building law: (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

However this shakes out -
Parking lot OK = good news.
Since outhouses in a Federal Forest are federal buildings and thus off limits to firearms, I wouldn't go inside the Post Office area - not even the self-serve area.

As for the Post Office-Like facilities, such as mail counter in a grocery store - above my pay grade, but I will treat them as if they were a regular post office.

Outhouses are not restricted from firearm possession. The restrictions on federal forestlands pertain to buildings where federal employees would normally be conducting their work, like a ranger station or visitors center. The postal counter in the grocery store is served by a private contractor, not a federal employee. Should have no firearm restrictions other than what the business owners policy is. Our post office in Port Angeles has no signage about firearms but does have a sign that robbery is a crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top