Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Post Number One...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jonnyuma, May 29, 2016.

1. Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma A Dirty Little Town in NW Oregon Member

'Morning NWFA. As the title says, this is post #1 for me here.
    I'm a recently divorced (and therefore broke) father of two grown boys. In the past few years I've gotten back into guns (the ex wasn't diggin' em...didn't stop her from stealing all of mine and selling them behind my back tho...weird how that works) by re-filling the safe and building ARs. SB941 took the fun out of that endeavor so now I just build for personal use.
    I wrote that I got back into guns, but intentionally left out shooting. I haven't been doing nearly enough, which is what prompted me to join NWFA...get some much needed info on clubs, ranges, training, and maybe meet some new friends. I've only been in PDX a few years...lived in EO for a few yrs before that, and AZ for 20+ yrs preceeding that. Opportunities in AZ and EO are much different than in PDX, as I'm sure you can imagine :rolleyes:

So, anyway...thanx for having me over. Apologies in advance for any resurrected necro-threads I may accidentally jump into...new guys o_O.

See ya in the forums,

Jonny Y

Sgt Nambu, spookshack, GOG and 4 others like this.
  2. Goosebrown

Goosebrown Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Welcome. I am a member at Tri County Gun Club in Sherwood if you want any info, let me know.

Jonnyuma likes this.
  3. Jonnyuma

I should probably PM you about that. They (TCGC) seem like exactly what I'm looking for.
    When I researched this area (I-5 corridor, P-land to Salem) it came up as being particularly shooter-friendly...ranges, sports, "games", etc. I'm not finding that to be the case now that I'm here....maybe you can help me out with some of that, @Goosebrown...man I'd sure appreciate it.
    Thanks for the comeback, appreciate that too.

BTW, I'm in the delightful Rockwood area (brutha gotta live someplace) so Sherwood isn't exactly in my 'hood...but if TCGC is as good as I hear it is, I can find a way to make it work. I'll be in touch.

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Welcome;)

DDRC is about 30 min south of you. 1000 yard range. I'd be a member if it weren't over an hour there for me.

Also, I highly recommend signing up and joining the "site clean ups", normally shoot after the clean, but most importantly (aside from meeting people and putting faces to names is finding public land shooting spots which are generally rarely openly talked about.

Will be a little further drive but you can shoot targets other then just paper.

Best of Luck!

Jonnyuma, Goosebrown and etrain16 like this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome. I'm a member of Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (DRRC) myself out Eagle Creek/Estacada way. Lots of different shooting option from pistol to rifle to shotgun, and the only 1,000 yard range anywhere near Portland. As Joe noted, it's a bit of a drive for you too (abut 40 minutes for me), but it's a great club and beats driving twice the distance to try and locate a spot in the woods.

Jonnyuma and Joe13 like this.
  6. Goosebrown

I'd be glad to invite you to shoot at TCGC if you like one weekend. However, much as I like TCGC, Douglas Ridge is an AWESOME club and it is a lot closer for you to get to. I would look there. I really wanted to be there, but its an hour from home and TCGC is 20 minutes.

spookshack, etrain16 and Joe13 like this.
  7. Goosebrown

If you do go out into the forest, PLEASE clean up after yourself. It really is great to go to the cleanups but it sucks that we HAVE to have cleanups.

8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Welcome to NWFA!

Pretty good folks hereo_O

Jonnyuma likes this.
  9. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to the forum

Jonnyuma likes this.
  10. Timbertodd

Timbertodd Aloha Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Welcome!

Jonnyuma likes this.
  11. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson. If you ever get down this way hit me up and we'll go to the Josephine County Sportsman's Association range. It's a very nice range.

Jonnyuma likes this.
  12. Jonnyuma

I just got off of DRRC's website...looks like a winner! Even the drive is nice. I've been going to the English Pit in Camas, WA (only goes out to 100 yds...feh) so about the same drive, time-wise and NO I-205 TRAFFIC...yay.

I'd really like to get out there in (if I'm not a member yet) September for sight-in. I've got an 18" middy that I'm trying to finish up before the elections...sighting in the scope w the help of a spotter would be fantastic. Do they require a valid hunting lic for that event?
    Is there a waiting list for membership?
    I'd like that. I haven't seen a weekend off in over a year, but I'm working on that. The one advantage to having your "weekend" in the middle of the week is no crowd or waiting for a lane when I do manage to get some range time.

spookshack likes this.
  13. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Goosebrown is a great guy. I took him up on his invite a few months ago while I was going through the membership process. Had an awesome time! :D

Goosebrown and Jonnyuma like this.
  14. Jonnyuma

Agreed. Cool to invite someone you've never met before to be your guest. I'd like to take him up on that sometime.

I'd think that out in Forest Grove you'd have loads of good shootin' spots within a few min drive...or walk...?

15. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Welcome aboard. I see you have made yourself a few well put posts as your first handful in various threads so far.

Keep it up!

16. Jonnyuma

Thanks, @Dyjital...I always try to be a useful mammal :):s0104:

17. Goosebrown

Thanks. So did I. First time I got to shoot and M&P. It was a good time.

18. etrain16

As far as I know, they don't require a license for the sight-in event. I volunteered at the event last year and seem to recall seeing folks there that weren't hunters, just taking the opportunity to attend the event and sight in a gun. I'll likely be doing the event again this year, it's a good way to get in your 8-hours of work time.

As far as a waiting list, I don't think they currently have one, they haven't for a while. Best to confirm with them via email. First year there is a join-up fee and building assessment in addition to your first year dues. Renewals are in June for everyone, so if you join away from there, they'll pro-rate dues for the first year. 2nd and 3rd years include the building assessment ($25) as well. After that, it's just straight dues. Each member needs to put in 8 hours work time a year. I do mine with the hunter sight-in event. Others do work parties. Lots of different matches and classes available too - reloading classes, Appleseed, Service Rifle (CMP), High Power and others.

And being able to get out there mid-week is good as they're definitely busier on the weekends. Just remember that Thursdays are always reserved for long range only, so the rest of the range is shut down (although I think the indoor range is available on those days).

If you want to take a look around sometime I might be able to meet you out there for a tour, or contact the folks there for a look see.

spookshack likes this.
  19. Jonnyuma

Thanks, @etrain16...appreciate that scoop. Their website is one of the most informative and intuitive to use that I've seen so far. I was hoping to join sooner rather than later but all of the fees added-up make it a pretty substantial amount (for me...I'm poor). I'd hate like hell to put the app in, get approved, and then not have the dough to finish the deal...muy embarrassing. Ive got a couple of other things that can't get put off and like a dummy I just bought a shotgun I didn't need (SxS 12 ga...but it's so cooool...).

I'd like to take a tour of the place, if they do that sort of thing...I'm mostly jazzed about the 1000 yd range.

etrain16 likes this.
  20. etrain16

Yeah, it's a bit of a chunk to start. I held off for a couple of years but finally bit the bullet and joined. The yearly dues are less painful now, just got the renewal in the mail this week. But yeah, it's a good range, and worth it in the long run.

As for the shotgun - you know the rules here, right? Mention a new gun, gotta post pics!!!

:s0122:

fredball likes this.