JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this on another site and thought it would be useful:
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,166188.0.html

Received today.

State of Washington
DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
Mailing Address: 600 Capitol Way N, Olympia, WA 98501-1091 • (360) 902-2200 • TDD (360) 902-2207
Main Office Location: Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington Street SE, Olympia, WA

December 2, 2014

M E M O

To: Hunter Education Instructors

SUBJECT: ANALYSIS OF INITIATIVE 594

Dear Instructors,

During the November election, the voters enacted Initiative 594, concerning background checks on firearm sales and transfers. I-594 becomes effective on December 4, 2014. The Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), in close consultation with our legal counsel in the Attorney General's Office, has assessed the potential effects of I-594 on the Hunter Education Program, our instructors, and our prospective students. We do not believe that I-594 will significantly affect the program.

I will briefly summarize our analysis below. More detail will follow in the next few days.
• I-594 requires that all firearms sales or transfers in Washington be subject to background checks and be made through licensed dealers, unless specifically exempted.
• I-594 exempts all law enforcement agencies from the background check/transfer requirement. WDFW, as a general authority Washington law enforcement agency pursuant to RCW 10.93.020(1), is therefore exempt from this requirement. Any firearms purchase, sale or transfer to or from WDFW or WDFW employees when acting within the scope of their authority, is exempt from the background check/transfer requirement in I-594.
• The Hunter Education Program is a WDFW program authorized by state law pursuant to RCW 77.32.155(1)(a). Hunter Education Instructors, when in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program, act on behalf of WDFW, and are therefore exempt from the background check/transfer requirements. This exemption extends to Hunter Education Instructors whether or not they are actually in the classroom, provided that they are in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program. (Firearms transfers by Hunter Education Instructors that are not for the purpose of the Hunter Education Program and within the scope of their authority as WDFW volunteers, are not entitled to this exemption.)
• Transfers of firearms between Hunter Education Instructors (when in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program) and sports clubs, gun clubs, and other non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are also exempt from the background check/transfer requirements.
• Transfers of firearms between Hunter Education Instructors and Hunter Education students are also exempt from the background check/transfer requirements of I-594, when the Hunter Education Instructors are in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program. Again, this is because the firearm transfer is to or from Hunter Education Instructors acting on behalf of WDFW, a law enforcement agency.
• I-594 contains limited specific exemptions for certain temporary transfers of firearms kept at shooting ranges and temporary transfers of firearms to persons under the eighteen for educational purposes. Although Hunter Education instruction is an educational purpose and may occur at a shooting range, these two exemptions do not limit or override the broader background check exemption applicable to law enforcement agencies. Therefore, within the constraints described above, transfers of firearms between volunteer Hunter Education Instructors and students are exempt by virtue of WDFW being a law enforcement agency, regardless of the age of the student, and regardless of whether the firearm is removed from a shooting range.
• Although we are still evaluating I-594, it does not initially appear that student-to-student transfers of firearms would fall within the general WDFW exemption for law enforcement agencies. For students under eighteen, however, temporary firearms transfers for educational purposes are exempt if the student is under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult (such as a Hunter Education Instructor) who may lawfully possess firearms. Students eighteen and older are not entitled to this exemption. However, regardless of the age of the person, temporary transfers that occur at an established, authorized shooting range are also exempt, if the transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at the range. If adult student-to-student transfers are not exempt, then adult students may, without triggering I-594's background check/transfer requirements—
 Use inert firearms or air rifles (which do not meet the definition of a firearm); or
 Hand their functional firearms to an instructor who then hands it to the other student.

In summary, the transfer/background check exemption I- 594 applies to the following transfers of firearms to or from WDFW Hunter Education Instructors while in formal volunteer status for WDFW and acting within the scope of their authority for purposes of the Hunter Education Program:
• Between WDFW employees and Hunter Education Instructors
• From one Hunter Education Instructor to another Hunter Education Instructor
• Between Hunter Education Instructors and NGOs
• Between Hunter Education Instructors and students

Additionally, student-to-student transfers may also be exempt under the circumstances and for the reasons described above. Where such transfers are not exempt, we believe that minimal changes to classroom procedures will avoid conflicts with I-594.

As I read it they are using the logic of A=B, B=C therefore A=C for their agents, but then make the leap that C and D are right next to each other so A=D. Hey whatever works to keep a good program going, but I doubt their logic would stand up in court.

I-594: They passed it, now we get to see what's in it

As provisions of Initiative 594 kick in today, the first signs of what this legislation means are beginning to show up exactly where the anti-gun proponents insisted they would not: Hunter Education and promoting firearms safety, according to a discussion unfolding right now on the Hunting-Washington forum that begins with a Tuesday memo from the Department of Fish and Wildlife.

<broken link removed>

The legal opinions did not come from the state AG. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me, saying that volunteers for the DFW are acting as law enforcement is more than a convenient stretch of the law. More like pure BS. Instead of actually tasking the AG with a binding opinion that can be applied elsewhere, they simply offered a convenient opinion so that they didn't have to challenge the state.

The legal opinions did not come from the state AG. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me, saying that volunteers for the DFW are acting as law enforcement is more than a convenient stretch of the law. More like pure BS. Instead of actually tasking the AG with a binding opinion that can be applied elsewhere, they simply offered a convenient opinion so that they didn't have to challenge the state.

That's the problem, and the antis goal with I-594. Lie about 18 pages of crap the average voter will not read, get it passed, and use the confusion as a smoke screen to deter people from exercising 2A rights.

bubblegum I-594. This is the US...repeal the 2a or remove all of the unlawful restrictions from the books. Both cannot exist.

Based on the blog post linked from page 3, the Departments opinion that instructors are covered under the law enforcement exemption is clearly wrong. They are not badged law enforcement officers.

Watching Ferguson squirm out of this mess is going to be interesting.

The bit about a student being able to hand their gun t an instructor, and the instructor hand it to another student because of the cop exemption is interesting. It implies any cop can sell to anyone without a background check. I hadn't read that into the law before, but it does ring true to the text.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top