JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7.62/.308 is my favorite large caliber round, too.

I had to do some "wet work" with an M60 during my Army tour... caused the front of a house to collapse in the process.

I have an Isreali Galil in .308 that I SWEAR to have buried with me. ;-)

I also have a sub-MOA capable Ruger American Bolt action in .308 that I bagged a forked horn Blacktail with (one shot, one kill)... 1.5 hours into opening day last season.

I'd like an M14/M1A someday, even a M1 Garand chambered in .308 would be awesome.

Love the .308 Win. My first experience with it was when as a very young man shooting my dads HK91. It simply is a great all around multi-use round. I think I would consider my collection incomplete without a quality .308 Win.

My first rifle was a Savage 99c in .308, found it amoung a number of rifles at a garage sale when I was 19, and picked the one with the largest round. I shot many many rounds through that rifle and loved watching tall grass lay down as the bullet left the muzzel. I dreamed of harnessing the power of the .308 in a semi auto and it wasn't till 10 years later when I bought my FAL did I get my chance. It was exhilarating. I've since owned 5 m1a's, a saiga 308, and the FAL and enjoyed them all immensely. Hope to one day have a Galil in .308, though it sounds like grave robbing might be necessary there.

Wish the prices would go down though. Got my first can of 762x51 for $160 for 660 rds.

I trained and qualified expert with the M-14 in the army. Carried one throughout my tour in South Korea (with selector switch).
I currently own an M-1A NM and a Winchester model 100 in .308. It's a fine combat and general purpose round!

Very cool, i just have to respond since my first centerfire was a Winchester Model 88 as well, inherited from my great uncle when he passed away. It's chambered in 308 win and i brag it up always. I have harvested multiple blacktails, three bull elk, and a nice bear with that rifle. I may upgrade my rifle someday, and hide that one in the safe, but if so i will stick with 308 win, as the caliber is so versatile.

They should have let you keep that M14! I spent some behind latest versions of the M14, the MK14 Mod 0 and the EBR.
How well does your Model 100 run? Mine was a lil finicky on ammo type.

Respectfully,
MT

It's never been picky with the major brands. I tend to stay with federal 165 grainers.

Does your Model 88 have the basket weave pattern engraving?
They are such beautiful rifles and decided to get a Model 100 (Reminded me of the HK 770) to partner it..

:oops:I don't own either today.:confused:

It does have the basket weave pattern; although its showing its age lately with all the years of beating the brush. I used to think it was a bit of an odd looking rifle - but its reliability, straight shooting and heritage are priceless. I was thinking, I don't think i have ever had to pull the trigger more than once on an animal with that gun.

I just got into the .308/7.62 game this year. I wanted a semi-auto rifle in .308 for hunting and longer range target shooting.

I bought a Zastava M77 .308 AK-pattern rifle and am slowly modifying it to closely resemble current military (M77AB3) configuration. For the price/performance I simply couldn't argue - $550 shipped.

I am primarily an AK collector, and I missed out on the .308 Saiga and Vepr rifles at low cost, but the M77 appears to be a far better rifle quality-wise - the fit & finish is excellent, has an adjustable gas system, and some shooters are putting up 1-2 MOA targets out of the box with basic optics. Good enough for me out of a semi-auto .308.

In lieu of the original Serbian mags, it can use slightly modified M14 mags without issue - simply needs a small catch cut into the front of the mag to engage the AK trunnion, and the rear M14 tab snaps right into the AK mag catch.

This is the goal of my build - not my photo, but what I already have mostly built, minus the folding stock - ACE is currently out of stock on the slant-cut Yugo folding block:

Not sure what to do about an optic yet, or if to use the side mount, or Texas Weapon Systems hinged top cover rail..

GYb4SNu.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top