JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

right now it looks like work will have me moving to the Seattle area, specifically around Bellevue. I am wondering if there are any clubs or groups that do tactical training in the area. I am not really looking for the class room environment, rather a more club like atmosphere. Where I live now we have a club that shoots twice a month and we split it between scenarios and skills and drills.

A little introduction, mostly a pistol shooter, interests are tactical shooting, have taken courses in tactical pistol, tactical vehicle pistol shooting, tactical carbine and will be shooting Vehicle carbine in a week. I currently shoot at least once a week, and twice a month I shoot with my currrent club and spend the day running scenarios or drills and skills. I like the challenge of "shooting is a thinking mans game" so intellectually challenging shooting is my favorite, I am not so good at slow sniper type shooting.

I can't afford to drop $100+ per day to shoot, but I also don't want to let my skills atrophy because I can not find a place to shoot.

Any clubs that cover moving and shooting, shooting from cover, multiple shooting positions, defensive shooting, target threat determination, etc.....

I am mostly interested in pistols, but have worked with carbines and shotguns.

Jim

West Coast Armory's tuesday night pistol league and friday night rifle league is fun, but the skillset range is very wide. A few cops and soldiers come shoot, but they don't turn down newbies who barely know their weapon's manual of arms either... so the quality of the crowd is the luck of the draw.

One league that is absolutely top notch is the Tactical Rifle league up at Custer, WA. Unfortunately, like USPSA, they are in recess until March 2011. Sherriff SWAT from various counties run this league all the time... it's basically rifles in a USPSA like setting, 200+ round count. You must either be a IDPA/USPSA veteran with at least 2 years under your belt (verifiable by public record) or have an in person safety check with the match director.

Is that a pain in the ***? Yes, yes it is, but it also makes the overall quality of shooters who come out MUCH higher. I don't like going to IDPA matches and having noobs shooting props and slowing things down, lol

thanks to both of you, those look promising. I have been to the West Coast Armory, seems like a nice place, right now I am traveling to Seattle regularly, I will have to check out their Tuesday night shoot! I will have to plan an overnight trip now.

If anyone has a way for me to reach out to the Tactical Rifle League, please let me know, IM me is you can

I just watched some videos of the Tactical Rifle League, looks like fun, my only comment is that it is more time sport based and not very realistic, a lot of focus on time through the course, my preference would be to the focus more on keeping behind cover, and treating the shoot as if the bad guys were really shooting back. The guys I watched did not stay behind cover at all, and treated the shooting openings as a portal through which to shoot rather than worrying about if they are pieing the openings, limiting their exposure, returning to cover after shots taken, never shooting from the same point of cover, etc....in summary, its a gaming attitude not a defense attitude.

Any groups that are more realism focused? training for a real life event?

Jim

You can do IDPA, and there was some talk of IDPA multigun at WCA.

To be honest though, USPSA and Tactical Rifle is just so much more fun. You are free to shoot it any way you like: I game the **** out of it, because i'm confident in my abilities to discern between USPSA, IDPA, and a real life tactical situation. However, some people choose to shoot Tac Rifle in a realistic manner, slicing the pie, shooting from ideal cover positions, but not so ideal time/gaming positions, etc etc.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top