JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious if this could be done. Not planning on actually doing it as I currently don't have a 45LC gun anyway, I'm just curious.

I was wondering if you made a shorter .410 shot shell could it be shot out of a SAA style revolver? Are the Taurus judge and similar guns able to do this simply due to the longer cylinder or is there something else that make those guns unique in being able to shoot .410 and 45LC?

Thx in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or ideas!

I didn't know they made mini 410 shells?

I thought 410 was a mini shotgun shell as is.

I would say if you made a 410 short enough to fit the length of the cylinder it would be fine. Being 45 colt has near identical operating pressure as 410.

They make 45 colt shotshell cartridges I think.

They make 45 colt shotshell cartridges I think.
1642790774805.jpeg

As far as I know 2 1/2 shells are the shortest manufactured today and the length of the cylinder of any revolver is dictated by the length of the cartridge being fired in it. A revolvers cylinder needs to be longer than the shot shell as the length (2 1/2 or 3 inch) is the length of the fired hull. It has to have room to expand and grow or you will create an obstruction and possible "blow up." That's the reason pistols that are made to shoot .410 shot shells have such a long cylinder. Could someone make shorter .410 shoot shells for .45 Colt chambered pistols? Surly could. But why? The market wouldn't support it and .45 Colt shells are already available.

As far as I know 2 1/2 shells are the shortest manufactured today and the length of the cylinder of any revolver is dictated by the length of the cartridge being fired in it. A revolvers cylinder needs to be longer than the shot shell as the length (2 1/2 or 3 inch) is the length of the fired hull. It has to have room to expand and grow or you will create an obstruction and possible "blow up." That's the reason pistols that are made to shoot .410 shot shells have such a long cylinder. Could someone make shorter .410 shoot shells for .45 Colt chambered pistols? Surly could. But why? The market wouldn't support it and .45 Colt shells are already available.
Oops I just realized I wasn't very clear. I was talking about home loading the shells. Easy to cap of a shotgun shell of reduced length is what I'm thinking.

I'm pretty sure .45 caliber shot capsules are being sold and that would be the best option. Though there probably are some people out there that would cut down a .410 hull and plastic wad (wads are a specific length made for a specific length hull) and spend the time to develop a load "just because." We all have a limited time on this planet, I prefer to focus on things that make sense.

Yes, you could cut down a .410 hull, use a paper wad, and a roll crimp, by using a simple "hand" loading tool. (Reloaders like MEC ain gonna work). As was said, remember to cut it short enough to unroll in the cylinder.

Remember that Judge/Governor pistols have a smoothbore just like a real shotgun (it's a barrel insert, just like a screw-in choke. The .45LC insert has rifling)... your shot load is going to get spun by the rifling and spread enough to prolly be useless after 5-6'. And that's getting pretty close to that rattler!!! Might be fun to test/pattern tho.

Yes, you could cut down a .410 hull, use a paper wad, and a roll crimp, by using a simple "hand" loading tool. (Reloaders like MEC ain gonna work). As was said, remember to cut it short enough to unroll in the cylinder.

Remember that Judge/Governor pistols have a smoothbore just like a real shotgun (it's a barrel insert, just like a screw-in choke. The .45LC insert has rifling)... your shot load is going to get spun by the rifling and spread enough to prolly be useless after 5-6'. And that's getting pretty close to that rattler!!! Might be fun to test/pattern tho.
That's what I was thinking too. Keep it ultra simple as far as making the shorter shell.

And I hear what u r saying on the rifling. A person would just have to live with a real inconsistent shot pattern I think.

I think what I'm probably looking for is an excuse to buy a SAA revolver :pAlways more interesting for me if there is some experimentation involved. Sometimes I buy guns not because I necessarily want it exactly as is but more because "I wonder if I could do such and such". But usually it's for cheap guns like 22s, not SAA. What got me thinking about it is the Uberti cattleman version that has both .357 and 9mm cylinders. Made me wonder what else u could shoot through it. Maybe I should just forget about it and buy a blunderbuss. Lots of crazy stuff could be shot through that! :p

Interesting question!
I have been loading "Grape Shot" Charges in rifled barrels for ever, and while these are mostly all bigger bore Black Powder firearms, none the less, they are almost all rifled barrels! I don't normally use any shot cups, simple hemp rope with the shot pellets to act as a sort of buffer and rolled it all into paper cartridges before ramming down the muzzle, or for the revolver types, loading the cylinders! As far as patterning, some shoot better then others, but generally, performance is pretty good, certainly enough for charming sneks! Most firearms chambered for .45 Colt should be able to handle the Holy Black with great ease, so, I would have no issue making your own "Grape Shot" using the Colt Brass! If you have generous enough spec cylinders, you could even cut down .45/70 brass to gain a little capacity for the shot charge if you really wanted!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top