JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi There,

Super new to this forum. I am located in portland oregon, and have a few questions about firearm possession. I just finished building my own AR, my dad "gifted" me the lower, and I bought the rest. I would love to go out and shoot by myself, because my parents can't go with me all the time. I was planning on going out to tillamook forest, and shooting out there. Does anybody know what the laws are with me transporting the rifle in my truck, unloaded, to the shooting destination, shooting, and then getting back in my truck, and coming straight home. Thanks for your help, hope to hear from you guys soon!

Bring a note from your parents and print out the below and show it to anyone who questions you.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

166.250¹
Unlawful possession of firearms

(1)Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260 (Persons not affected by ORS 166.250), 166.270 (Possession of weapons by certain felons), 166.274 (Relief from prohibition against possessing or purchasing firearm), 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license), 166.292 (Procedure for issuing) or 166.410 (Manufacture, importation or sale of firearms) to 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms) or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a)Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b)Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c)Possesses a firearm and:

(A)Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms); and

(ii)Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C)Has been convicted of a felony;

(D)Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);

(E)Was found to be a person with mental illness and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or

(F)Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of mental disease or defect) of a felony.

(2)This section does not prohibit:

(a)A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A)Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minors parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minors parent or guardian; or

(B)Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

Hi there, May i ask how familliar you are with firearms? Also, i will sugest going to a hunters education or some sort of firearms safety training before you venture off alone to go shoot. In oregon, IIRC you have to be 18 to buy rifle ammo. i am not a lawyer but i believe it is your right to possess a rifle.

Are you an english major too? man, thats some good grammar boy. ALMOST TOO GOOD. HMMMM

Oh, and if you don't already have one, get yourself a fishing license and bring some fishing gear each time you go shooting (along with your fishing license of course).

Trust me.;)

Hi There!

Thanks so much <broken link removed>, this is very insightful. I will show this to parents to allow for permission. TheyUpare in favor of me going and shooting by myself, so its not like I am disobeying them.;) I will bring my fishing tackle, and yes I do have my finishing license, what kind of city boy do you think I am!:)

<broken link removed> thanks for the reply! I have been shooting since a very young age, and I have had a large amount of military firearms training due to me being in JROTC. I feel comfortable in doing this independently, and my parents are extremely supportive of me, like I explained earlier. My dad buys my ammo for me, and (off the record of course;)) I pay him back for it. I do not believe there is any laws against me possessing the ammo, but correct me if I am wrong.:) Haha, my mother is a grammar nazi, and I guess it just kind of rubbed off. Im also enrolled in college instead of high school, so that could add to it.

Thanks for your guys help!!!

Does anybody know what the laws are with me transporting the rifle in my truck, unloaded, to the shooting destination, shooting, and then getting back in my truck, and coming straight home.

I think its a good idea to take a note from your parents with you but ORS 166.250(2)(B) covers you without... the note will help you persuade any LEO that isn't up to speed on things. http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

If your live in or are passing thru Multnomah County do not pre-load your magazines. Mult Co. Ordinance 15-064(A) prohibits loaded magazines. http://multnomah.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?meta_id=38224&view=&showpdf=1

Keep the rifle in the trunk or locked case separate from any ammo also kept in the trunk or locked case... Regular federal firearm transportation laws apply at all times even in the woods: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A Since you have a truck a locked rifle case and a separate locked ammo case would work in the cab. (a fishing/hunting license and gear will not exempt you from this)

For places to go, check out the threads in the Outdoor Shooting Areas sub-forum of this website. You will find more info there on shooting in the Tillamook State forest and places to go. I suggest heading out to Salmonberry road... its no secrete spot so arrive early. Be prepared to bring a target stand with you and a trash bag to haul out your target trash and spent casings when done.... its the law.
here are the laws for target shooting in the Tillamook St. Forest:
629-025-0040 http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_600/oar_629/629_025.html

General Forest Recreation Rules

(9)Target Shooting

(a) No person shall place targets on live trees or shoot live trees for any purpose.

(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail.

(c) No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.

(d) Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from State Forest land all shell casings, targets, and other debris resulting from their use.

(e) No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or people engaging in target shooting.

(f) No person shall shoot glass of any kind as a target.

(g) No person shall shoot appliances, furniture or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse by an enforcing officer.

(h) Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

lastly, please consider bringing an extra trash bag with you to fill with other peoples target trash. It really sucks to pick up after others but these folks who leave their target trash behind are getting our privilege to target shoot on public lands closed down. Remember that its not a right to target shoot on public lands its a privilege. You can learn more about the problem, and some solutions in the Outdoor Shooting Areas forum and the "3 bags of trash" program in this thread: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/3-bags-of-trash-nwfa-bronze-membership.98125/

welcome to the forum and enjoy that new rifle

Consider joining us with your parents in March for a clean up of one of the target shooting areas about 30 min west of Portland.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-schedule-2016.213501/

We do a few hours of cleaning up and then those who want to stay can target shoot. You get to see a lot of cool guns that people bring and also learn about good places to shoot in the public forest. Lots of the people that come have a great deal of shooting experience and can give you tips or answer questions.

Thanks everyone for your replys, they are very much appreciated. I do believe it is my right to possess the rifle, but I also want to do it in the most legal manner possible, without raising to much of a stir. Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top