Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Position, holster, gun, and why.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Jasonsan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jasonsan

Jasonsan Sandy, OR New Member

I am looking at purchasing my first holster for concealed carry and since I believe you get what you pay for I wanted to see what pro's and con's forum had to offer up on the matter before shelling out some hard earned $$$$.

I myself am leaning towards my Glock 26, IWB, and at the six oclock position as it seems like it would be secure and the most comfortable.

2. erslll

erslll Hermiston OR Active Member

As long as you never sit down, six o'clock is fine.

3. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I carried in the "small of my back", or 6 o'clock, for a long time. A Glock 23 and a Beretta M9. I never had a sitting problem, I really liked it and would like another holster for my new G23 and P226 there. Look at the Blackhawk Check Six holster. It is OWB, but worked great. Also, the Galco SOB.

Jasonsan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

5. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

The above is why I switched to appendix carry. Get pushed over before you can draw and you may not ever get up again.

6. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

predator+drawing.jpg This is how i carry mine:)
    Holster position is hard to suggest to someone else since you don't really know what you like until you actually try it. So the SOB might work best for you or maybe on your hip is better. i've always had it on my hip with a forward cant. Seems to be the best fit for me.

predator+drawing.jpg

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Right handed, between three and four'o'clock, IWB.
    Left handed, between 8 and 9'o'clock, IWB.

I really don't like the idea of losing control of small of the back, or as mentioned the shove down and sitting issues. But really it is all about how it feels comfortable on your body type.

8. Jasonsan

Jasonsan Sandy, OR New Member

Awesoem article Accessbob! and thanks ALL for the advice!

9. Fringe

Fringe Portland New Member

Contrary to what some people will tell you, a Glock 26 can fit comfortably* in a front pants pocket.

*Comfortably is a relative term. However, if you pick your jeans and pants carefully, (I always check for pocket size when buying pants) you will not have a problem with ease of access or concealability.

Once I was almost attacked by 2 men while walking by myself in downtown San Diego. The key word here is almost, because when those guys saw my hand go into my pocket, and realized that I wasn't going to try and run away, even though both of them were bigger than me, they immediately left the scene (in opposite directions!)

Now, being in San Diego, and not having the "right" connections, I was not allowed to legally carry a concealed firearm. So, all I had in my pocket that day was pepper spray. Thankfully, those perps didn't know what I had, and didn't want to stick around long enough to find out. Because, once again, criminals prefer unarmed victims. But ever since that day, I came to the realization that ankle holsters, deep concealment rigs like belly bands, or anything that does not allow the fastest draw possible may end up getting you mugged or killed.

10. Captin Reload

Captin Reload Washinton New Member

Carry it AIWB, on the right side of your belt buckle. This is great for a fast draw, though, when you buy your holster be prepared to drop a hundred dollars for it. I am useing a Blackhawk leather holster, for my G19. I like the leather over the Kydex cause it flexes with my body.

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Appendix carry, cocked N locked BHP or 1911. The reasons? Fast, can reach with either hand, (off hand with a Roman salute movement) easy access while driving

12. Meridian7750

Meridian7750 Portland Area Well-Known Member

G-23, cross-draw in a Blade Tech "Nano". Great set-up.
    Cross draw allows easy seating, access to weapon while driving, and IMHO is more "concealeable", in that the butt of the gun protrudes forward toward the stomach instead of rearward. When you bend over with a strong-side draw, the butt will kick out some, making a noticeable "bump" in your cover garment. Cross draw doesn't do that.
    And its very comfortable, too.

13. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

really like the blackhawk leather "check six" with a glock 26 @ 4 oclock, its not iwb though.