Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portlanders, You are Needed Mon. March 4th @ 7-8 PM

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by NWShooters, Feb 24, 2013.

1. NWShooters

NWShooters Oregon Member

What: Town Hall Meeting with Senator Ginny Budrick and Represnative Jennifer Williamson
    Where: PSU, Smith Memorial Student Union Room 238 (Browing Lounge). 1825 SW Broadway, Portland OR
    When: March 4, 7:00 to 8:00 PM

Show up and voice your concern about HB 3200. It'd be great to get a large number or respectful constituents there. Would have loved to have been at the East side one this weekend, but I didn't see the post early enough...so I figured I'd put this out there a bit earlier :)

Good luck!

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/events/ginny-burdick-town-hall

Paravani and (deleted member) like this.
  2. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

Surprised she'll show her face while endorsing such a nutty idea

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

...at the PSU Student Union...? That's probably the safest venue she could have chosen.

Keith

4. Paravani

Paravani ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! New Member

I'll be there! Thanks for providing sufficient notice. I usually can't make the "meet tomorrow" notices because I divide my time between two states.

-- Paravani

5. iGun

iGun Pacific NW Active Member

Thanks. Will try to be there. Respectful attendance and comment will be key.

6. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Be aware that you will be ejected from the campus for concealed carrying after their court defying policy change last year. They can have you arrested for trespassing if you refuse to leave. Not saying don't carry, only, don't get arrested.

7. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Ginny is under the delusion that people actually want what she's pushing!

Ms. Williamson, on the other hand, should be easily convincible to realize how dumb this bill is.

REMEMBER! Do not be impolite, do not yell, do not make her dismiss you out of hand as a "raving gun nut"!

Will_Power and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PMKN_PI

PMKN_PI Milwaukie, Oregon, United States Active Member

Im there. I think I could get used to this town hall thing.

9. Maximum1

Maximum1 Washington Country New Member

And I hope all gun owners show up so we can not only pack the place but have a large overflowing crowd of gun supporters on the street outside.

Time to show our numbers!

10. beavernation

beavernation Canby Active Member

Ginny Burdick is unfortunately our Oregon version of Diane Fineswine!....she has been stacking this legislation up in advance of a "tragedy" just waiting to dump it in and hope she can get her "liberal agenda" passed. She wants to confiscate all firearms from all private citizens. She is totally out of touch with reality. I am not usually a "town hall" type of guy but I am sick of the "libtards" agenda and it's time to stand up and tell them go "foxtrot oscar"!!!........I will do everything in my power to be there and support our Second Amendment rights. I am not a speaker so somebody else will have to step up and make a statement but my enthusiasm for a positive speech knows no bounds....PLEASE JOIN ME?!!!!!!!

11. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Currently I don't have a working set of wheels, but if anyone is heading to this from the Corvallis area I'd love to catch a ride.

12. DireWolf

DireWolf Oregon Active Member

Also one in April:

13. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Actually, the Oregon Court of Appeals was quite clear that a university may only prohibit licensed concealed carry to individuals who are there via an agreement with the university. So it covers university employees, students, and people who are attending ticketed events (school sports games, plays, lectures, etc.) It specifically does *NOT* cover non-university-agreement events such as this.

See Oregon University System Policy on Firearms, specifically section (A)(4): (emphasis mine)
    This is not a university ticketed event. This is a public event, in a public building, involving public officials. I plan to concealed carry. Should they attempt to frisk me at the door, I will present my CHL, and a copy of the OUS Firearm Policy, and the Oregon Court of Appeals' decision on CHL on university property. The Eugene Register-Guard also notes (yup, emphasis mine:)
    In fact, it is backed up by the OUS' own memo (again, emphasis mine:)
    If it is not a ticketed event, and you are not a student, employee, contractor, vendor, and you personally are not leasing/renting/reserving university property, you're good. So, ironically, it means that Ginny Burdick can't bring a gun (she reserved the property presumably,) but we can.

I'm normally one of the first to say "if you're not willing to be the legal test case, don't break the rule." I say there is no rule against concealed carry by a CHL holder, and in this case, I am willing to be the test case. (I won't push it of course - I won't announce I'm concealed-carrying - I don't want to ask for trouble.)

Standard disclaimer: All of this is based on my not-a-lawyer reading of the various laws, policies, court rulings, etc. In the end, what really matters is what the police decide to do on the spot, what the prosecutor decides to charge, what the judge decides to allow, and what the jury decides in verdict - in that order. If you're not willing to go through all four layers, don't test it!

14. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Anyone planning to film Birddick during this? I understand folks in the crowd want their privacy, but it would be fun to capture the audio and her responses.

15. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Excellent! They are my state senator and rep (lucky me), so I'll make it a point to attend.

If you're going:

Be respectful. Don't yell. Don't call them (or any other political opponents) names. Use facts. Counter emotional appeals with logic and reasoning. Stay on topic.

16. iGun

iGun Pacific NW Active Member

Oh, for Petes sake. The last thing we need at this event is a "right to carry" incident. Can we all save this for later after we've won this battle, and NOT give Cease Fire Oregon another excuse to try overturn the 2nd and 4th Amendments in Oregon?

Please... just go to this event. Be polite. Dress well. Bring your kids. And don't carry a gun onto a campus where there's a "no guns" sign posted.

17. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Here are previews. Make sure you can stomach listening to these two before going.

[video=youtube;OT93EuLs9Gs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT93EuLs9Gs[/video]

18. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;n1hPvyiib1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1hPvyiib1I[/video]

19. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

Thanks for making me puke.

20. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Nice work Charon! Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'm not a PDX resident, I live out in Hillsboro but, I will try to make this. Perhaps we can BS a little.