Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

portlanders needed this morning. townhall meeting 2-23!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by madmax, Feb 23, 2013.

1. madmax

madmax woodburn Active Member

East Portland Town Hall | Democratic Party of Oregon

This is where the battles are fought and won

2. PMKN_PI

PMKN_PI Milwaukie, Oregon, United States Active Member

Im going.

3. TKevlar

TKevlar Eugene, Oregon, United States Active Member

Give em hell fellas. I appreciate your efforts and would be there if I could.

4. Ralgha

Ralgha Portland Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Please provide an update on what happened there for those of us who are in *gasp* California today...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

5. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Aw crap. Wish I would have seen this earlier.

6. Ralgha

Ralgha Portland Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

What happened at the meeting?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

7. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

Did anyone record the meeting? Curious how it went today.

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

They must have been arrested and hauled off? :huh:

9. PMKN_PI

No, there were no arrests. I was about 15 mins late, and I think 1 or 2 guys spoke on the gun bill before I got there, and you could tell the regular attending progressives were rolling their eyes at all these 2nd amendment supporters invading their usual liberal echo chamber. One rather fat, elderly progressive women dialed 911 on her cell phone because she was "afraid" of all these "gun people" that were yelling and made her feel "threatened". Uh huh. I could over hear her trying to convince the 911 operator that she really was in danger...I dont think the 911 operator was buying it. And no cop showed up. One guy got up, and in the Senators face, yelling. He got angry when the Senator and the reps said that there were other topics to discuss and were cutting off discussion about 3200. That would have set me over the edge too. I just sat and waited, kept my hand in the air, and when called, I first discussed a topic other than guns to gain the attention of the others, then segwayed into 3200 and its disgusting disregard for the 2nd and 4th amendments,and questioned their motives for drafting it (because they said that they werent really pursuing the aims of 3200, only were still going after carrying in schools, background checks, and something else that escapes me at the moment).....and i contended that they were writing bills so they could fool the masses into 'negotiating from well over on their have of the 50 yard line' and i that I found it disingenuous. After the town hall I was approached by Reardon's staffer because she said that they were impressed how calm I remained and how I stated my case (whatever...not really sure i believe that, but they did take the time talk to me afterwards). I was just as mad as the guy that got up and yelled in their face...i just save that for Facebook and NWfirearms lol.

10. Stomper

You mean to say that you didn't spit in her face, and call her the progressive pig that she is?! :laugh:

Sorry, just ribbin' ya!;)

Good job on representing! :cool:

11. LimPShoT

LimPShoT Oregon Member

dammit wish i would of seen this earlier glad some of you were able to go. We must stay vigilant and try to stay cool tempered when face to face with some of these tyrants.

12. PMKN_PI

Exactly. The real fury will be when they come for our property. Then the 2nd amendment's intent will do the talking.

chariot13 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

You will catch more flys with honey than vinegar. Good job.

One thing all gun owners need to do is show these anti-gun people we are stable thinking people. Put out our arguments, and not get in shouting matches...even if they want to provoke a shouting match,

Will_Power and (deleted member) like this.
  14. PMKN_PI

Looks like I made 5440fight dot com...The first of the 2nd amendment concerned people are in the 1st vid. My later turn on the floor is the second. And theres some more good stuff in the succeeding vids.

Democrat Townhall Shuts Down Gun Debate

15. 2ANewbie

2ANewbie S.E. Portland Member

I was at the Town Hall, and the whole group of "leaders" shut down the conversation regarding HB3200 and any further Second Amendment discussion. If anyone else was there, didn't Reardon state that he had never heard of HB3200? On the Alert from OFF, Reardon is one of the sponsors. He is not my representative so I was not tracking on him closely.
    I talked to (my) representative, Pederson, as well as Reardon afterward, and each at least appeared to listen to my talking points. I talked to Monroe afterward, he refused to make eye contact and stated that at the time of the Second Amendment, the intent was for single shot muskets ,and was very clearly not supporting freedom for us serfs. In my opinion, anyone on here who has supported Monroe in the past should reconsider that thought for the future. In my opinion, he is not a friend of liberty.
    One other observation, is that the gentleman who jumped up and cursed at these people did no favors to supporters of freedom. I believe that we all must keep our wits about us in dealing with these matters.
    Molon Labe

16. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Note, yelling at them doesn't help. It only perpetuates the image that they already have (and that they are trying to put upon the less informed constituents like the elderly lady,) of gun rights supporters being angry aggressive people. Yelling during a town hall hurts us. The best arguments are made calmly, and force them into taking a stand against other things they believe in - like comparing gun rights to gay marriage and abortion. Yes - that is the best tactic to take. "Taking away one's right to defend themselves is worse than taking away a woman's right to choose." "Marriage licenses and concealed handgun permits should both be valid across state lines just like driver's licenses." and the like. Remember, it doesn't matter what you believe on these other issues, only that they can be used to persuade the lawmaker!

It's easy for them to dismiss the (as they perceive) "raving lunatic," it's a hell of a lot harder to dismiss the calm, rational, based-in-other-things-they-believe-in arguments!

For crying out loud - most of "the left" can't stand the Occupy morons for the same reason! They may have - deep down - some good ideas, but their messaging makes it easy to dismiss them as raving lunatics. Don't be the Occupy morons of gun rights...

DireWolf and (deleted member) like this.
  17. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

"He strains to hear a whisper who refuses to hear a shout."
    James Oliver Rigney, Jr.
    aka-Robert Jordan

Well reasoned and respectful discourse will take us farther at this point. The time to show the full extent of our anger may yet come, but it is not now.

18. Stomper

Charon, you should get a bunch of T-shirts made with that on it and sell them for fund raising pro-2A activities.... OH YEAH! ;)

bnsaibum and (deleted member) like this.
  19. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I like it. We should get some together before the upcoming town hall at PSU.

20. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Were those Reardon's real Teeth??

He should spend more time in the Dental chair and less time attacking the Bill of Rights!