Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portland Tribune: Expanded Background Checks a Positive Step For Oregonians

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Stomper, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I just saw this on the Portland Tribune's website....

http://pamplinmedia.com/pt/10-opini...-a-positive-step-for-oregonians#disqus_thread

Here's the comment that I left there o_O:

30,000 Americans die from gunshot wounds every year... what isn't told is the breakdown of those fatalities. A HUGE portion of that is from justifiable homocide (you know killing a bad guy who's threatening others), then there's a small portion killed by accidental discharge, suicide another small portion, and murders are an even smaller portion.

If 30,000 deaths annually is a crisis and/or an epidemic then consider the following:

The Journal of Patient Safety recently published a study which concluded that as many as 440,000 people die each year from preventable medical errors in hospitals. Tens of thousands also die from preventable mistakes outside hospitals, such as deaths from missed diagnoses or because of injuries from medications.

Other reports have examined the impact of medical mistakes on segments of America’s patient population. A Department of Health and Human Services report in 2010 said 180,000 Medicare patients die each year from preventable adverse events in the hospital. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2011 said 1-in-25 hospital patients get an infection from being in the hospital; 700,000 of them get sick as a result and 75,000 die.

It seems to me that the good Doctor and his peers are a far greater and destructive threat to public safety. Perhaps the good Doctor should just shut his yap and focus on paying his malpractice insurance.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    So Low 2, Buster1, Mongo1 and 9 others like this.
  2. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Education does not always = intelligence or intellectual honesty.

Redcap, Caveman Jim, jim97701 and 5 others like this.
  3. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

He's a family doctor and are at the bottom of the rung in terms of medical competency and this speaks highly of his ignorance of the subject mater. It is good that he retired: research skills and objectivity have been lost.

Caveman Jim, jim97701, 3MTA3 and 2 others like this.
  4. 308

I read thru the comment section and it seems people are not buying the propaganda. No comments from UBC supporters either. Usually there are a few seminar posters stirring the pot.

Caveman Jim and 3MTA3 like this.
  5. Stomper

Frikken jerks passed it out of committee today along party lines. DEMOCRATS SUCK!!!

Redcap, Caveman Jim, jim97701 and 2 others like this.
  6. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Southern Cascades Well-Known Member

Every piece of Firearms Restricting Legislation in California of last 19 years has been brought forth, rammed through committee, and passed by "Straight Party Line Vote" by Democrats, with only the 50 cal ban signed by Ahnold BUCKING THAT TREND .

3MTA3 likes this.
  7. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Making claims like that, they should be held accountable every time a gang shooting takes place.. I mean.. BGC were the ultimate solution right? How could it possibly not work? :eek:

Sheeeesh.
    Whats worse is that slime ball "FFL" from cali that "testified" saying all FFLs should be excited and "cash in" with a BGC program..
    That is bubbleguming disgusting, and forced transfers? Christ.. When does it end? How will they regulate those costs? Its extortion with no cap in sight.

Talin, Caveman Jim, jim97701 and 3 others like this.
  8. deshoots

deshoots central oregon Member

That dude from Cali needs to be put out of business. Maybe calguns can help with that.

9. Stomper

WTF are out of staters EVEN doing putting their 2 cents in?

10. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

My comment:

"The poll Dr. Uphoff refers to was predominately taken in the Portland Metro area. Democrats were represented against Republicans at a rate of almost 2 to 1, and a majority were not gun owners. Gun control advocates like to tout that 83% (81 if they actually took time to read instead of merely repeating what crazy Aunt Ginny said at some rally). I sure hope Dr. Uphoff does more research than this when treating patients.

According to the FBI about 50% more people are murdered each year by hammers and clubs than by rifles. If saving only one more life makes it all worthwhile, then why aren't we doing background checks at Home Depot?"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  11. Stomper

Can I get a, HELL YEAH?!!!

Caveman Jim and 3MTA3 like this.
  12. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Notice the words in the title of the article? "Positive Step".

Hear all the pro- SB-941 people yesterday testifying how "SB-941 is a good first step"...?

Step definition:
    a.
    One of a series of actions, processes, or measures taken to achieve a goal.

They won't be satisfied with this. They have a goal, this was a Step towards it.

13. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If all of this does not make you all understand how corrupt our political system currently is, and how futile it certainly appears that reasonable dissent is, then nothing ever will.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  14. tkdguy

Let's continue to hound the house democrats. Rep. Nearman sent me an email to continue the fight; thinks there is a chance this could be stopped in the House. Let's hound them! tkdguy

Stomper, tiggers97 and OLDNEWBIE like this.
  15. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Penny Okamoto (ceasefire Oregon) let's us know exactly what "The Next Step" is that they want in common sense gun laws. She Testified at the SB 941 committee BTW, my feed was freezing up at the time but she was quoting 87% or so multiple statistics from what I could hear.

16. tkdguy

So, under SB 941 when do the civil rights of law abiding citizens get restored? If this is a good paradoxical issue to send off to the representatives, please do so. tkdguy

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. Stomper

Penny Okamoto is a fraud right from the get-go. She ain't even Japanese. o_O

Caveman Jim likes this.
  18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Damn I hate the title to this thread.

3MTA3, Stomper and Caveman Jim like this.
  19. Stomper

Then click on that link and give 'em both barrels in the comment section! ;)

3MTA3 and U201491 like this.
  20. 308

NancyWT at th OP link needs some more love from us :)