JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know the legality of CC on The Portland Spirit? At first, I didn't really think much of it, but then I seemed to recall that they have to do something with the Port of Portland, which in my mind might have something to do with the Airport, which means there might be come kind of special rule/law regarding carrying while on that boat for dinner. Anyone know?

Unless you are going to a late-night event where passengers must go through a security checkpoint and are not allowed to have weapons or illegal drugs, you should be good to go.

a few years ago I went on that ship they had a check point with a guy and a handheld metal detector like the ones TSA uses scanning each person before they boarded the ship you may want to call and ask them before you / may be denied or not allowed to board the ship for the cruise

they checked for weapons awhile ago when I went on it, I would leave it in the car or home if it was me would not want to be left standing on the dock but who know perhaps they dont check anymore

I've been on it probably 5 times and never been checked, but the Grimm above ; - ) mentioned about the "late night event" option, and I figure 10:30 PM would probably qualify as that. I'll post after the event whatever I see there.

LOL, thanks Grimm. No, I don't need bail. We had a blast, but didn't get home until about 2AM, and had a busy day today (including going shooting :D), so just getting back to this...

So, yes, for this late night event, they had security guards there (I didn't notice them having openly carried firearms, though one did have a pocket knife), and as people arrived, security had them line up against the seawall (railing, or whatever you want to call it by the river), and when it got closer to entry time, then worked their way through the line, checking people's ID and gave you a little wristband to show that you'd been ID'd. Then, once they had most of the line done, they started letting people board. At the top of the gangplank (walkway to boat. Not sure I'm getting these mariner terms right, but I think so), they had a table, where you were to sit your stuff (e.g. keys, or other metal items), and they ran the wand around you front and back. A friend that was there with us had a pocket knife, and either the skipper or security (I forget) said that he could hold it for him during the trip, but it was his responsibility to remind him when it was over, so he could get it back.

On only a tangentially related note (legal matters, FYI), they also mentioned that this ship was operated under federal jurisdiction (or law, or authority, or something like that, I forget the exact terms they used), and as such, though Marijuana was legal in Oregon, it was not allowed on the boat and if anyone was caught using it on the boat, they'd be forced to immediately return to port and cancel the rest of the trip (or something like that). No big deal for me, as I'm not into that, but I thought it was interesting from a legal standpoint.

So, there ya go. Now we know, and know is 3/4's the battle (used to be 1/2 the battle, but between inflation and the information age... ;))

On only a tangentially related note (legal matters, FYI), they also mentioned that this ship was operated under federal jurisdiction (or law, or authority, or something like that, I forget the exact terms they used),
that coincides with what I posted above.

good to know in advance they check... thanks for sharing this.

Nobody is allow to have weapons aboard the Riverboat except for the Marshall
20100608211117%21Mav-bisley2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews