JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's the oath:
The original wording was effectively replaced by Section 3, Article 1, of the Articles of War approved by Congress on 20 September 1776, which specified that the oath of enlistment read:

I (NAME) swear (or affirm) to be true to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully against all their enemies opposers whatsoever; and to observe and obey the orders of the Continental Congress, and the orders of the Generals and officers set over me by them.

The first oath under the Constitution was approved by Act of Congress 29 September 1789 (Sec. 3, Ch. 25, 1st Congress). It applied to all commissioned officers, noncommissioned officers, and privates in the service of the United States. It came in two parts, the first of which read:

"I, A.B., do solemnly swear or affirm (as the case may be) that I will support the constitution of the United States."

The second part read:

"I, A.B., do solemnly swear or affirm (as the case may be) to bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and to serve them honestly and faithfully, against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and to observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States of America, and the orders of the officers appointed over me." The next section of that chapter specified that "the said troops shall be governed by the rules and articles of war, which have been established by the United States in Congress assembled, or by such rules and articles of war as may hereafter by law be established."

The 1789 enlistment oath was changed in 1960 by amendment to Title 10, with the amendment (and current wording) becoming effective in 1962.

I have mixed feelings. Yes the event could have been handled way way better. Different environment. Also I have a problem with the demand that the new recruits follow the orders of President Trump. Not the legal orders of the commander in chief or all legal orders of all superiors.

Swearing fealty to to Trump makes me think of the oath the Nazi Party demanded of new and old soldiers .... to swear fealty and personal loyalty to Adolf Hitler.
The legal orders of The Commander In Chief sounds more like the USA. Just me. Others will disagree which is good.

The oath does not name the president, but the position of the POTUS, which is their Commander in Chief.

I may be in the minority, but I'm pretty much over the juxtaposition of sports and politics. Sure, everyone has a right to their own opinions, but at the end of the day, can't we just 'play ball' and let that be the focus...??

It used to be the place where 50k people could mostly agree on something for a few hours. Now its something else I avoid.

I have a problem with the demand that the new recruits follow the orders of President Trump.
I would too, but unless something deliberately provocative AND illegal (screwing-around w the established oath to tweak the attendant snowflakes) happened then the Commander in Chief is NEVER included by name. Never. Not ever.

This is common knowledge, HB.

Last Edited:
Here's the oath:
The original wording was effectively replaced by Section 3, Article 1, of the Articles of War approved by Congress on 20 September 1776, which specified that the oath of enlistment read:

The first oath under the Constitution was approved by Act of Congress 29 September 1789 (Sec. 3, Ch. 25, 1st Congress). It applied to all commissioned officers, noncommissioned officers, and privates in the service of the United States. It came in two parts, the first of which read:

"I, A.B., do solemnly swear or affirm (as the case may be) that I will support the constitution of the United States."

The second part read:

The 1789 enlistment oath was changed in 1960 by amendment to Title 10, with the amendment (and current wording) becoming effective in 1962.
Not attempting to call you out, @DB Wesner, but the oath has changed or been updated to add the "all enemies foreign and domestic"...

Enlistment Oath.—

Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:

"I, __________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of theofficers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

This is the oath I took... I'm so glad that I wasn't just remembering in incorrectly. The version you posted had me questioning my memory.

Not attempting to call you out, @DB Wesner, but the oath has changed or been updated to add the "all enemies foreign and domestic"...

Enlistment Oath.—

Each person enlisting in an armed force shall take the following oath:

"I, __________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of theofficers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

This is the oath I took... I'm so glad that I wasn't just remembering in incorrectly. The version you posted had me questioning my memory.
Appreciate the correction...mine was exactly like what you stated...took it in March 1988 myself.

Appreciate the correction...mine was exactly like what you stated...took it in March 1988 myself.
Mine was a few yrs before that but I've been casually quoting it ever since as in, "I swore an oath to defend the Constitution... etc, etc". I'd hate like hell to think that I've been misquoting an oath that I took and respect to this day incorrectly. Actually prompted me to research it to confirm... all good, knowledge is like happiness, the more the better.

[
Mine was a few yrs before that but I've been casually quoting it ever since as in, "I swore an oath to defend the Constitution... etc, etc". I'd hate like hell to think that I've been misquoting an oath that I took and respect to this day incorrectly. Actually prompted me to research it to confirm... all good, knowledge is like happiness, the more the better.

Don't worry. Ive been singing "blinded by the light"wrong my whole life. "Reved up like a douche in the middle of the night" is not the words apparently.

[

Don't worry. Ive been singing "blinded by the light"wrong my whole life. "Reved up like a douche in the middle of the night" is not the words apparently.
Sometimes I make up my own words to songs and sing those brilliant (IMHO) snippets out loud around my GF until she notices and says something... usually it's along the lines of, "That's not how that song goes, dork". Takes about 3-5 seconds for her to remember exactly who I am and what I'm doing... duh, messing w her.
I can play the long game too. Now SHE has that ridiculous tune stuck in her head... good luck, sweetie, it's there to stay.

We're in loooove... :s0056:

Sometimes I make up my own words to songs and sing those brilliant (IMHO) snippets out loud around my GF until she notices and says something... usually it's along the lines of, "That's not how that song goes, dork". Takes about 3-5 seconds for her to remember exactly who I am and what I'm doing... duh, messing w her.
I can play the long game too. Now SHE has that ridiculous tune stuck in her head... good luck, sweetie, it's there to stay.

I do the same thing!

That's so mean.
Funny as Hell... but still mean.

My "interpretations" usually involve some sort of micro-aggression or, even better, overtly offensive nonsense. That makes it even more better with her being a reformed (reforming) liberal... she hates that she finds it funny... LOL-type of funny.

One of her favorite songs for a while was "Good For You" by Selena Gomez. The song starts with "I'm on my 14 carats, I'm 14 carat..."

So I'd sing "I'ma farting carrots, I'm farting carrots"

Listen for yourself!

Portland's not nearly as scary as yall make it out to be,

Yes it is. Scary, creepy, disgusting...we're splitting hairs. For anybody to suggest Portland is normal shows how decayed standards have become.

Last Edited:
Are drugged out, syringe littering, defecating & urinating in public on sidewalks, riddled with disease so-called 'homeless' scary?

No.

Supremely disgusting?

Yes.

They're not just loitering in Portland, they're in all big cities.

Housing them is the answer.

On an island named Devil's...

A long while ago ...in what seems like a different America...
After I gave my Oath....General Westmoreland "Pinned" on the rank of Pvt. E2 and PFC to several new Recruits...No one booed.
That was a pretty neat moment to be apart of.
Andy

Let's see. The crowd listened to the oath respectfully until the word "president" was mentioned. They booed. The booing died out while the rest of the oath was read, and then the crowd cheered the enlistees; and Fox News concludes that the crowd booed the enlistees?

That seems like a deliberate distortion of what occurred, but then it's Fox News.

Let's see. The crowd listened to the oath respectfully until the word "president" was mentioned. They booed. The booing died out while the rest of the oath was read, and then the crowd cheered the enlistees; and Fox News concludes that the crowd booed the enlistees?

That seems like a deliberate distortion of what occurred, but then it's Fox News.

They sure did boo the enlistees. The are taking an OATH that means they are prepared to give their lives while following the orders of the officers appointed above them to include the Commander in Chief. The whole way that oath works is to have code and honor and to trust in your superiors and respect them as your superior, not as a person.

By booing all or parts of that oath, that crowd told those enlistees that they were doing something wrong.

Last Edited:
People are free to express their political views, even when they are being disrespectful of others views, even if uninformed, and even when it ruins the swearing in ceremony for someone who might lose their life protecting that freedom. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

People are also free to bathe or not, even if they take on the charasteric Portland smell of bong water and human feces. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Fortunately I am free to decide who I want to associate with (also the 1A).

I don't blame the Thorns or soccer in general. If the Thorns were against the troops then they never would have allowed the swearing in ceremony in the first place. While I hold no grudge with them I do choose not to associate with the fans the booed and will no longer be attending soccer matches in portland.

This is coming from a Timbers fan going all the back to the original Timbers. I even practiced with their goalie (we went to the same church) at the CCC soccer fields.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top