JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
but note this was not a robbery, not a desperate person stealing food, just a trespasser
when asked to leave, he attacked the armed guard and shot him in the chest with his own gun
he had the intent on murdering this guard just over trespassing

Looks like police are not cooperating with the public. An armed attempted murderer is running free in the Portland area. Would be nice to at least have a general description. Public safety ain't what it used to be.

I brought this up during the Portland riots, open carry does not discourage volant people in Portland,
it just agitates them to attack you and attempt to take your firearm
they have no fear of bodily harm or even death

Couple of lessons here for me. Remember the reactionary gap, distance is your friend. If you have less than lethal options (OC spray) you need the time to get it out. Weapon retention, especially with open carry (and why I carried a level 3 retention holster), vests are your friend (that you hopefully never have to use).

The final is the extra magazine debate that has been pretty hot on the interwebs lately. ASP John is in the do what you want but don't see a need for a spare mag crowd. To me, this is one of those reasons why I do. Don't really know how the mag was actually released (article says guard released it) and it may not have been a factor in this case. But a dropped mag from a struggle or on purpose leaves you with a one shot brick; the extra mag could be a lifesaver. (So could a back up gun.) Thanks for the good OP!

Couple of lessons here for me. Remember the reactionary gap, distance is your friend. If you have less than lethal options (OC spray) you need the time to get it out. Weapon retention, especially with open carry (and why I carried a level 3 retention holster), vests are your friend (that you hopefully never have to use).

The final is the extra magazine debate that has been pretty hot on the interwebs lately. ASP John is in the do what you want but don't see a need for a spare mag crowd. To me, this is one of those reasons why I do. Don't really know how the mag was actually released (article says guard released it) and it may not have been a factor in this case. But a dropped mag from a struggle or on purpose leaves you with a one shot brick; the extra mag could be a lifesaver. (So could a back up gun.) Thanks for the good OP!
and this is why I chose an SP101 with 3" BBL for a carry firearm in 1989
even if someone grabs the revolver, you can still pull the trigger and the cylinder flash will burn their hand
with the 3" bbl, no one can get their had on the revolver without the muzzle being in their palm

even if someone grabs the revolver, you can still pull the trigger and the cylinder flash will burn their hand
with the 3" bbl, no one can get their had on the revolver without the muzzle being in their palm
Not entirely true, if the hammer isn't cocked, you can prevent a revolver from firing if you prevent the cylinder from rotating.

A semi auto can be prevented from firing by removing the slide from battery. A revolver similarly can be prevented from firing by preventing the hammer from moving rearwards; which is accomplished by preventing rotation.

See what @solv3nt said below.

Not entirely true, if the hammer isn't cocked, you can prevent a revolver from firing if you prevent the cylinder from rotating.

A semi auto can be prevented from firing by removing the slide from battery. A revolver similarly can be prevented from firing by preventing the hammer from moving rearwards; which is accomplished by preventing rotation.
Yep, also even if the hammer is cocked the web of the hand or small enough digit will stop the hammer from dropping and prevent the gun from firing.

During the Japanese Occupation Ip Man was a well respected police officer.
During his time on the police force, a thief pulled a revolver and attempted to kill him, which he prevented by grasping the cylinder. Some legends would have it that Ip Man broke the cylinder out of the gun with sheer finger strength.

I use to practice disarming techniques with a 1911 by throwing it out of battery. I remember years ago some big name gunsmith (can't remember which one) made the "Ultimate CQB 1911", it had a guard on the dust cover that came out and prevented the pistol from pushed out battery via a muzzle strike.

Not enough distance. Sh!t gear. No situational awareness. He was probably carrying in a Serpa holster…… hahaha. And only shot/handled the gun on his yearly qual….

Training with induced stress is key.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads