JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This last week I had make multiple trips up and down 122nd between Foster and Oh crap I can't recall the northern most cross street. From 9pm - midnight. Anyhow I was Driving truck for a family friend that was in need seeing how I still cannot lift a whole lot because of this back surgery thing.
I pull over when I need to chat on the phone so during this time I couldn't believe what's going on.
So I see a group of young men in their fast little cars pull into random parking lots, remove license plates and head back out onto 122nd. Time to race! BMW's, VW's, Nissans you name it. Allot of whining turbos.
They are fearless weaving in and out of traffic, no concern for public safety. The overhead cameras were flashing all up amd down 122nd but no matter as they had their plates off.
I even saw a group of 4 cars pull onto holgate I think it was and stop the flow of east / west traffic so the racers could fly thru the intersection. They were using the center lanes, bike lanes all at high speed. Now I'm driving this slow bubblegum moving truck but I did happen to see one of them near Foster and 122nd he was having some sort of trouble. So I followed him west down foster then they all were waiting at one of the bigger north / south residential streets and they took off thru the neighborhoods.
I did call the cops and I guess they are aware of this happening. A few hours later guess what I saw, the same damn thing.
The entire time, a half dozen trips I never saw one police cruiser.

Happens all the time, all over. Look at all the donut cirlces on the 205 bridges.
Cops are over worked and only really respond to emergencies. They come to investigators gate once a crime has occurred.
In other words, once they crash or kill someone they will investigate.

Carry daily, protect your own

Noticed the increase after the "Fast and Furious" movie franchise came out. Now every dip-sheite with a POS 4-door Honda has a duck-fart sounding 6" tin can hanging off the tail pipe and one of those cheesy 3' high bolt-on rear spoiler on the trunk lid.

:rolleyes:

Noticed the increase after the "Fast and Furious" movie franchise came out. Now every dip-sheite with a POS 4-door Honda has a duck-fart sounding 6" tin can hanging off the tail pipe and one of those cheesy 3' high bolt-on rear spoiler on the trunk lid.

:rolleyes:

Theres a lot of the fart can guys but I also know of quite a few 8-9 second cars that do street duty that were racing streets well before the fast and furious craze. Paul Walker is a good example of what happens on the street. No idea why they do it. $20 to race at the track.

Theres a lot of the fart can guys but I also know of quite a few 8-9 second cars that do street duty that were racing streets well before the fast and furious craze. Paul Walker is a good example of what happens on the street. No idea why they do it. $20 to race at the track.

Yes there were before the franchise, but now every pimple-faced dip-dunk has been trying to get in on the act since..... ;)

My little burg of a town out in East Portland has one of those trailer mounted radar speed counters that lets you know when you've exceeded the posted speed limit.
The other day the cops set it up on a long stretch of road behind the elementary school.
A couple of local kids with their lowered Honda's were taking turns racing past the radar counter trying to see who could fly past it faster then the other guy. It was entertaining watching them furtively look over their shoulders for any cops to show up.
Brought back a bunch of memories of driving around in '60 and '70's muscle cars.

Watched a "kid" go air borne and roll 5 or 6 times before ending up in the slew off 181st before it went all the way through. Not much to clean up that a mop and shovel couldn't handle. Personally, I used to take my Alfa Romeo GTV and go Canyon Carving up Larch My. Road! It was a ton of fun, untilll a kid I was racing in his Vette lost it before the Stark Street Bridge and slid sideways into a old growth stump and crushed himself inside the car. Both inner door handles were touching each other with his body pinched in between! Stupid knowes no age when it comes to fast cars, and I am lucky to have lived through all the dumb racing I did!:rolleyes:

Yup, I've seen plenty of street races. And too many drivers that can't handle the horsepower. I will admit, a few years ago when I was living in Colorado my BIL bought a Z06 and put a turbo kit on that baby. He handed me the keys and told me to go drive it.....

155mph on I-25 was as far as I was willing to take it.

Ive had a slew of 600-900 HP street cars. Got one now. I'll be the first to admit I have no idea whatsoever how I'm still alive especially after that Burt Reynolds induced Tran Am jumping craze of the early 80's but one thing Ive never done is street raced. Never saw the point in it. The Drag Strip is just a few miles away.

There's a group of sportbike riders who appear to use 164th to Powell to 182nd to Division and back to 164th as a roadrace course. This usually late at night and they've got some pretty loud exhaust. I have yet to hear any sirens during thse events. I suppose Darwin will prevail at some point in time.

And when I was street tracing in Salem in the late 70's on any given Friday or Sat night there could be a 6 dozen city cops and as many as 9 county sheriffs in the loop on Portland rd. We never caught a break. Though that was strictly straight line stuff Block to block no weaving in and out of traffic stuff.

Because they won't receive any notariety by racing at the race track. If they can get mentioned on the news that is cool.

There is a sheriff's office on 122nd and Glisan, so I'm guessing you didn't go that far up? Anywho, it's what 82nd was in the 80's. Doesn't surprise me tho. There were probably a few cops racing with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top