JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I caused a firearm to discharge during a deer hunting trip. Scared me to bubblegum!
Nobody hurt, even me. A significant emotional event. Mind changing. Embarassing!
This post is the first time fourty years later that I've laid it out there.

Chief and buddies called for help, got shot victim to hospital care. Reported shooting to Harney Co Sheriff. Reported the incident to PDX Mayor (his boss). Feels unending remorse, embarassment. No duty to fess to the media.

Another Cheney incident.
And another reason the LEOs have no reason to scold us about gun rights, safety, or what we should and shouldn't have.

Just like LEOs getting their weapons stolen or lost.

years and years ago i was hunting with a buddy, i was following him too close because i was new... he turned around and his 338win mag muzzle smacked me right in the eye. lesson learned.:eek:

When I was in my late teens my buddy & I were target shooting in a field off Hwy 224 between Carver & Barton Park. We'd bought some Army surplus 30-06 ammo from Andy & Bax & were shooting my Remington 742. We had five rounds left so he loaded 4 in the mag & dropped one down the pipe.

We shot four rounds & were headed back to the car with him carrying the gun, muzzle down & to the right. I was about a step & a half behind him when the ground in front of me blew up. Both of us forgot about the 5th round & he decided to pull the trigger (reason unknown). We'd been shooting together since we were kids but I never went shooting with him again.

I have had 3 negligent discharges, years apart, in my life. It is something that you never forget.

1. Never trust that a gun is unloaded when handed to you, never
2. Make sure that you understand the operation of all firearms, always
3. Don't mix alcohol and firearms, never, ever

Ok finally some administrative action. Sorry guys, he's not just a cop, but he's the top cop of the city. He needs to be held to the highest standard. The problem isn't that he ND'd his buddy. The problem is he tried to cover it up. Sorry, but you can't do that - and for that, he should be relieved of duty:

<broken link removed>

-Thirtycal

So what he shot his buddy.

Now the problem is the coverup, the 'neglecting' to tell the reporting agency...

I didn't inhale and I didn't have sex with that woman... I just got a BJ. Omitting the truth is just as bad as lying.

1. Treat all guns as loaded.
(Always check twice to ensure a firearm is unloaded when handed to you or picked up. Does not matter if you put the firearm down for 2 seconds and pick it up again, you should check the chamber again. If you hand a friend a firearm, and he hands it back two seconds later, you check the chamber.)
2. NEVER muzzle. NEVER point a gun at anything you are not willing to shoot. This included empty firearms!
3. Finger off trigger until your target is acquired. This also includes empty firearms.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This man, police chief or not, broke all 4 firearms handling rules, which everyone should know very well before ever touching a firearm. Given he is a high ranking police officer, he should be held much more accountable for his negligent discharge. Police should be held to a higher standard than the average Joe. :mad:

Aw for crap sake! It sounds like all ya' all are jumping on the far left anti-gun "Band Wagon" that lives in the Willamette corridor! I wasn't in to fire arms at the time but were you guys all down for hanging Dick Cheney out to dry when he negligently hit his hunting partner with a few shotgun pellets? We're all perfect right? Noooothing like this could/would EVER happen to any of us. Heck NO! What if police dudes were out hunting and shot their deer and in the process of processing the deer one of the police dudes slipped with the knife and badly cut the other police dude? Should he be held to a higher standard and hung out to dry? fired? Drawn and quartered by the media? "Media"? Hmph.

And lying about it. Well, you shouldn't lie that's for sure. Considering the anti-gun atmosphere in this state, and especially in Portland? I figure the guy was terrified of what was going to happen to him when this got out. And sure enough......Would have bben ugly for dude even without lying. Chief messed up, gonna lose his job. No body died, valuable lessons were learned. And unfortunately, the anti-gun media has another chance to keep "The Dangers of Owning Firearms" in the, so called, "News"!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top