Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portland police chief ND's his buddy - tries to keep it quiet...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by thirtycal, May 21, 2016.

1. thirtycal

thirtycal Camas, WA Active Member

2. thirtycal

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I caused a firearm to discharge during a deer hunting trip. Scared me to bubblegum!
    Nobody hurt, even me. A significant emotional event. Mind changing. Embarassing!
    This post is the first time fourty years later that I've laid it out there.

Chief and buddies called for help, got shot victim to hospital care. Reported shooting to Harney Co Sheriff. Reported the incident to PDX Mayor (his boss). Feels unending remorse, embarassment. No duty to fess to the media.

4. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Another Cheney incident.
    And another reason the LEOs have no reason to scold us about gun rights, safety, or what we should and shouldn't have.

Just like LEOs getting their weapons stolen or lost.

5. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

years and years ago i was hunting with a buddy, i was following him too close because i was new... he turned around and his 338win mag muzzle smacked me right in the eye. lesson learned.:eek:

6. BlackRyder

BlackRyder Edmonds Well-Known Member

Won't be a full Cheney until the guy apologizes to the chief for getting shot!
    :s0023:

Doc In UPlace, RB87, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  7. PDX1953

PDX1953 Active Member

When I was in my late teens my buddy & I were target shooting in a field off Hwy 224 between Carver & Barton Park. We'd bought some Army surplus 30-06 ammo from Andy & Bax & were shooting my Remington 742. We had five rounds left so he loaded 4 in the mag & dropped one down the pipe.

We shot four rounds & were headed back to the car with him carrying the gun, muzzle down & to the right. I was about a step & a half behind him when the ground in front of me blew up. Both of us forgot about the 5th round & he decided to pull the trigger (reason unknown). We'd been shooting together since we were kids but I never went shooting with him again.

8. badclam

badclam willapa bay Sunny SW WA Active Member

So I thought LEO are trained to safely handle firearms even when deployed? I thought they are held to an even higher standard than civilians? Embarrassed? He should resign.

Brutus57, Joe13 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I've been around a lot of LEO and firearms. Most of them are great folks. Some of them are not qualified to operate a leaf blower.

STUKA, nwwoodsman, Brutus57 and 8 others like this.
  10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You went full Cheney, everyone knows you don't go full Cheney, never go full Cheney!

etrain16, Brutus57, Reco and 4 others like this.
  11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What, the cops have 22 ammo?

ogre, Brutus57, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  12. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

I think Chalkboard, box of Chalk, and The Four Gun Safety Rules written out 1000 times is a good punishment oh yeah in public for all to witness.

Brutus57 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. badclam

badclam willapa bay Sunny SW WA Active Member

In Wa. State if you accidentally shoot someone while hunting, you lose your hunting privileges for life. With that standard for untrained yoyos out hunting, what standard should the City's top cop be held to?

RB87, Brutus57 and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have had 3 negligent discharges, years apart, in my life. It is something that you never forget.

1. Never trust that a gun is unloaded when handed to you, never
    2. Make sure that you understand the operation of all firearms, always
    3. Don't mix alcohol and firearms, never, ever

15. thirtycal

Ura-Ki, STUKA, Brutus57 and 3 others like this.
  16. JedB

JedB PDX Active Member

Pioneer Square...

clearconscience and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

So what he shot his buddy.

Now the problem is the coverup, the 'neglecting' to tell the reporting agency...

I didn't inhale and I didn't have sex with that woman... I just got a BJ. Omitting the truth is just as bad as lying.

clearconscience, Ura-Ki and Brutus57 like this.
  18. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

If the guy he shot had been a conservative he would have received a commendation from the city of Portland!!!!!!!!

Sheldon

19. groth

groth Camas Member

1. Treat all guns as loaded.
    (Always check twice to ensure a firearm is unloaded when handed to you or picked up. Does not matter if you put the firearm down for 2 seconds and pick it up again, you should check the chamber again. If you hand a friend a firearm, and he hands it back two seconds later, you check the chamber.)
    2. NEVER muzzle. NEVER point a gun at anything you are not willing to shoot. This included empty firearms!
    3. Finger off trigger until your target is acquired. This also includes empty firearms.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This man, police chief or not, broke all 4 firearms handling rules, which everyone should know very well before ever touching a firearm. Given he is a high ranking police officer, he should be held much more accountable for his negligent discharge. Police should be held to a higher standard than the average Joe. :mad:

Ura-Ki, Brutus57 and Dyjital like this.
  20. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Aw for crap sake! It sounds like all ya' all are jumping on the far left anti-gun "Band Wagon" that lives in the Willamette corridor! I wasn't in to fire arms at the time but were you guys all down for hanging Dick Cheney out to dry when he negligently hit his hunting partner with a few shotgun pellets? We're all perfect right? Noooothing like this could/would EVER happen to any of us. Heck NO! What if police dudes were out hunting and shot their deer and in the process of processing the deer one of the police dudes slipped with the knife and badly cut the other police dude? Should he be held to a higher standard and hung out to dry? fired? Drawn and quartered by the media? "Media"? Hmph.

And lying about it. Well, you shouldn't lie that's for sure. Considering the anti-gun atmosphere in this state, and especially in Portland? I figure the guy was terrified of what was going to happen to him when this got out. And sure enough......Would have bben ugly for dude even without lying. Chief messed up, gonna lose his job. No body died, valuable lessons were learned. And unfortunately, the anti-gun media has another chance to keep "The Dangers of Owning Firearms" in the, so called, "News"!

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    nwwoodsman, ogre and Stomper like this.