JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is my understanding that the ordinance exempts persons with Oregon concealed weapons licenses, so I can still carry a loaded handgun concealed in Portland. Correct?

It is my understanding that the ordinance exempts persons with Oregon concealed weapons licenses, so I can still carry a loaded handgun concealed in Portland. Correct?

Correct, it has too because otherwise it would run afoul of state preemption. It's too bad that the city can legislate away the ability to defend yourself in public.

Here's the bottom line that people refuse to understand. How is it possible for a right that is named in the BoR specifically for the purpose of keeping the government in check to be controlled by the government it protects us from? That is exactly what "Shall Not Be Infringed" means. It means that the government can't make ANY laws involving the ownership and possession of firearms. None. Not for full-auto, "high capacity" or anything else. There is no provision for them to regulate firearms in any way, on any level, state, city, county, federal or otherwise.

In what insanity does the government get to regulate the one thing that allows us to regulate them? Compliance to illegal laws are in no way a good thing. Contempt for those that have nothing but contempt for you is natural and correct. It is also exactly why the power was given to you and I when it comes to firearms. The government will never have that power over me, no matter how many people fall for it.

I would love to see ORS 166.173 removed from the books. This is the statute that allows cities and counties to regulate carry of loaded firearms. It would make obeying the law much simpler in OR. Now we have a patchwork of local laws.

State law should supersede County law, State and County law should supersede City ordnances and law.

And of course The 2A would trump all of that, as it is the law of the land and when places like OR and WA entered the Union, they also fall under the laws of that land.

It's pretty simple. Clogging it up with illegal laws won't work in our favor. Of course, us lending any validity to the laws by discussing them as if they have any base in reality or legality is not in our favor. In fact, it makes the crazies that want your guns position stronger.

Since it is in direct defiance of The Constitution, why pay it any mind anyway?

Hopefully someone is an idiot and challenges the law by ignoring it. Once THEY go through the court system I'm pretty certain others will be less unwilling to follow the law as written.

I nominate you, yeah, you, over there. Not me. Uh uh.

Hopefully someone is an idiot and challenges the law by ignoring it. Once THEY go through the court system I'm pretty certain others will be less unwilling to follow the law as written.

I nominate you, yeah, you, over there. Not me. Uh uh.

Stay scared, it doesn't bother me or change my stance. Go ahead, be the sheep. You don't need a nomination, you just hopped on board.

I will enjoy the free life. The fear other people have of illegal laws won't stop me from being free.

Of course not you. Most people live in fear. That is sad.

This is a big loss and a stupid law. The judge clearly didn't have a handle on the facts if he thought that the number of loaded firearms carried by law abiding citizens on the streets of Portland was in any way correlated to the number of crimes.

On the bright side, and in no way do I mean this is to take away from the severity of this bubblegum, it looks like you can still carry concealed if I read this correctly:

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

You that have your CHL are exempt.
We that Choose to not get a CHL are just out of luck.
We non-CHL holders do at least get to open carry Our piece of metal in the shape of a handgun though. Yeppie!!!!!!!
Maybe one day you CHL holders will have your bullets regulated away from you, then you can see how we feel.
But for now your permission is good to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top