JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think everyone supports what she wants to do. She just needs to do it the right way. You can't just go the mall and set up a table and start selling things without going through an application process or at least getting permission from mall management. The Saturday Market is no different.

Agreed. The Saturday Market is no different than the Christmas Bazaar at the Expo Center or a gun show at the Fairgrounds. There is no 'regulation' about it, vendors pay for booth space, period.

As far as beggers being allowed in Saturday Market, well that's a 'free speech' issue and the State has pretty much thrown their lot in with beggers' rights over anyone else's, so Saturday Market pretty much has their hands tied on that one.

As far as the little girl herself goes, she's do all right in this world. On the Mark and Dave Show, she proved herself to be quite intelligent, fully capable of carrying on an adult conversation and I especially like that she called beggers what they are and not 'homeless' or 'indigent' etc ad nauseum PC crap. Regardless, that still doesn't mean she's on the right side of this issue.

Keith

AND I SUPPOSE EVERYONE IN TN DOES IT BY THE BOOK AND DREAMS OF SELLING AT A SMALL VENDOR TABLE? PISS OFF AND KEEP YOU COMMENTS TO YOU OWN REGION
Sad news for you friend: I'll be moving back to "your region" in three days. And until a moderator tells me I have crossed a line, I'll keep adding my opinion to the conversation. Don't like it? I'll post an ad in the classifieds for a box of tissues and if you can come up with the scratch, I'll send it your way.

This BS story is taylored to insight outrage from people and some of you have swallowed the hook deep into your gut. I've lived in "your region" for most of my life and will continue to do so. I'll vote to lessen the effect of beurocracy but in the mean time I'll teach my kid how to go about things the right way instead of a pitty party to substitute marketing.

I have a booth at a lot of these types of shows. I have to pay the vendor fees and associated taxes. Life sucks but we get over it and move on. When my kid wants to have a lemonade stand, we'll do it in front of my house. If he gets harassed by "the man", we'll cross that bridge when we get there. What I won't do is jump on the internet and cry about it. We'll research things together and find out why things are the way they are and what we can do to try and fix it.

...and for Christ sake, bullshot, calm down. Take a deep breath and remember "it's better to be pissed off than pissed on."

Cheers and have a fantastic HOLIDAY.

I am sure commando merkin was a bit confused because in TN mistletoe is what you get walking out to the backwoods corn mash pot barefoot.
Ah, we're doing regional, racist humor? It's been a while since I've been to Portland...does everyone still refer to your neighborhood as "Hillsborrito"? I always found it a bit juvenile but I have to admit there was an inordinate amount of Toyota Corollas, there...

Ah, we're doing regional, racist humor? It's been a while since I've been to Portland...does everyone still refer to your neighborhood as "Hillsborrito"? I always found it a bit juvenile but I have to admit there was an inordinate amount of Toyota Corollas, there...

Hey whats all the fuss, Just remember now they drive a Prius and in Oregon all you have to do to get pissed on is look up!

Racist? Do tell how my post was racist? but glad to see you also caught the humor that was the intent.

Agreed. The Saturday Market is no different than the Christmas Bazaar at the Expo Center or a gun show at the Fairgrounds. There is no 'regulation' about it, vendors pay for booth space, period.

As far as beggers being allowed in Saturday Market, well that's a 'free speech' issue and the State has pretty much thrown their lot in with beggers' rights over anyone else's, so Saturday Market pretty much has their hands tied on that one.

As far as the little girl herself goes, she's do all right in this world. On the Mark and Dave Show, she proved herself to be quite intelligent, fully capable of carrying on an adult conversation and I especially like that she called beggers what they are and not 'homeless' or 'indigent' etc ad nauseum PC crap. Regardless, that still doesn't mean she's on the right side of this issue.

Keith

So make sure you never go to the gun show and try selling a gun without paying for a table

So make sure you never go to the gun show and try selling a gun without paying for a table

Try again. You've paid a show admission fee to the business running the event (unless gunshows on your side of the water are free :) ).

Besides, onsey twosey sales are surely viewed quite differently than someone casually strolling in with a cart full of new Glocks and setting up shop next to the Pretzel stand. Even private sellers selling off portions of their collection are required to get a booth, and this girl wasn't selling just one mistletoe.

Keith

Sad news for you friend: I'll be moving back to "your region" in three days. And until a moderator tells me I have crossed a line, I'll keep adding my opinion to the conversation. Don't like it? I'll post an ad in the classifieds for a box of tissues and if you can come up with the scratch, I'll send it your way.

This BS story is taylored to insight outrage from people and some of you have swallowed the hook deep into your gut. I've lived in "your region" for most of my life and will continue to do so. I'll vote to lessen the effect of beurocracy but in the mean time I'll teach my kid how to go about things the right way instead of a pitty party to substitute marketing.

I have a booth at a lot of these types of shows. I have to pay the vendor fees and associated taxes. Life sucks but we get over it and move on. When my kid wants to have a lemonade stand, we'll do it in front of my house. If he gets harassed by "the man", we'll cross that bridge when we get there. What I won't do is jump on the internet and cry about it. We'll research things together and find out why things are the way they are and what we can do to try and fix it.

...and for Christ sake, bullshot, calm down. Take a deep breath and remember "it's better to be pissed off than pissed on."

Cheers and have a fantastic HOLIDAY.

PISS OFF
meant your an Adult, pay your fee and associated taxes ( You obviously would never deal in cash LOL ) Leave the Girl alone She's not begging and when she's old enough to vote she can join the rest of us and pay the vendor fees and associated taxes in the global economy that gets screwed by the local and government taxman. GOT YOU GOING THOUGH DIDN'T WE SO PISS OFF Cheers and have a fantastic HOLIDAY.

We're finishing up on kid number three in braces. I haven't had to ask a one of them for their help in paying either (nor would I even if they offered) and I'm just a grunt wire puller. Heh heh...maybe, just maybe, Dad should seriously consider a better job or better insurance?

Nahhh...

Keith

Try again. You've paid a show admission fee to the business running the event (unless gunshows on your side of the water are free :) ).

Besides, onsey twosey sales are surely viewed quite differently than someone casually strolling in with a cart full of new Glocks and setting up shop next to the Pretzel stand. Even private sellers selling off portions of their collection are required to get a booth, and this girl wasn't selling just one mistletoe.

Keith

Admission and selling are two different things.

Admission and selling are two different things.

You are paying admission to view wares and possibly sell an item or two. Vendors are paying a slightly larger admission to sell many items. The event organizer isn't concerned about protecting his vendors from competition, his concern is covering expenses and making a profit. All of this is pretty much moot anyways in the case of SM because its general admission is free.

And again, vendors operating at these events are businesses and are required to apply for admission and pay rent for their space at the show. The article even stated that she 'set up her own business'. Allow her to do it for free, and pretty soon every vendor would be a former vendor with their kids selling all the wares.

here is an update, I guess people have been calling putting in orders for mistletoe from the little girl, so she is getting her braces after all. :)
<broken link removed>

Hint................ the problem is solved.
Hope she makes six digits.

One of the excerpts:

McKenzie Cook called Madison on Monday morning, but he didn't order any mistletoe. Cook runs the country's second largest Christmas Tree farm from Oregon City.

"I saw Madison's story on KATU and I was so moved," said Cook.

Cook, too, is an entrepreneur.

He launched his business with no trees.

Today, he grows 6 million trees and ships them all around the world.

Cook knows a thing or two about planting, so he offered Madison a $1,000 gift of seed money.

"This girl is what America is all about," said Cook.

"People should be able to work for a living," said Madison, still in the dentist's chair. "My parents raised me with a good work ethic."

Keith
When most of us used the practical application of common sense, a kid trying to make a buck was fostered by adults. A little wink and nod on the rulebook was common practice. We definitely need more folks in the "Mooch" class due to lack of common sense. We need to start shoving stupid to the curb whenever it shows up.

Watch-out
even though this is the Off-Topic thread Deadeye will lock the thread down because of Rule #9!
I'm guessing he desperately wants to reduce the PPL visiting this site, he's certainly working hard at it!

Madison's story made the National News with an appearance on The Kelly Files on FOX. Well done Madison!!

I don't think the dad was involved at all. It was the will of this girl to raise the money to help him.
I just wish more kids had this drive. I also wish the gov would go back to letting kids from 10 or 12 to go out and work
in the summer, like they used to. Not allowing it has done serious damage to society overall.
Zero work ethic, zero responsibility taught. Idle hands and trouble brews.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top