JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know the show "are you smarter than a fifth grader"
maybe a new show "are you tougher than a sixth grader"
any how looks like this is too much for the cop, "The Portland police officer on paid leave for firing a beanbag shotgun round at point blank range and striking a 12-year-old girl in the thigh has filed a stress disability claim, according to the Oregonian.
<broken link removed>
dont put no voodoo on me. :)

any how looks like this is too much for the cop, "The Portland police officer on paid leave for firing a beanbag shotgun round at point blank range and striking a 12-year-old girl in the thigh has filed a stress disability claim, according to the Oregonian.
<broken link removed>

Under advisement of an attorney, no doubt.

Personally, I think all the Portland cops should go on strike for a few days and let the know it all liberals protect themselves. I am sure with their high level of intelligence and persuasve speaking ablity they can just talk the bad guys out of it ...no violence required.

yes, great idea...

If the cop uses a Taser on her...he gets accused of "police brutality."

If the cop uses a baton on her...he gets accused of "police brutality."

If the cop cold-cocks her with nothing but a bare fist...he gets accused of "police brutality".

If the cop uses pepper spray on her...he winds up getting it in his own eyes as well as being accused of "police brutality."

IMO, any officer who is allowed to respond to such a call should be able to man-handle a 12yr old girl and cuff her without resorting to any of the above measures. Thats it.

I dont care how big she is... btw she didnt look that big in the video... either way if a 12yr old girl is that big, im pretty sure its fat, not muscle... ALSO, she likely has NO TRAINING in how to fight or do anything. It looks like she was flailing around trying to get away.

So why is it that these officers who are held in such high regard, who have had extensive training, and years of real-world experience cant handle an overweight, out of shape 12yr old?

This was a punitive action. Not necessary. He should be answering phones until his retirement.

The problem is that he couldn't take immediate physical control over her without resorting to a weapon. You are wrong in saying a beanbag is minimum force as by it's very definition it's an escalation over and above hand to hand.

Hahahahaha :s0114:... Not to toot my own horn, but I'm sure that most of the people I've faught would rather take a bean bag round to the butt cheek rather than fight me again. (regulated fight record of 18-0-0) But seriously... I would much rather take a bean bag round to the thigh than to take a square bare fist to the chin, or better yet a boot/shotgun stock/baton to the head. I guess the wrestling officer could have dropped an elbow to her temple/jaw and she would have become totally compliant... totally unconscious, but totally compliant. IMO she got off easy. She needs to take responsibility for her own actions, but I'm guessing if her mom/dad had done a lil better job in the area of discipline as she was growing up, the girl would have probably been a bit more compliant. But who knows. Either way though... if she'd just done what Mr. Policeman said with a smile and a yes sir, she wouldn't have a bruise on her backside right now and we wouldn't have anything to discuss here :D

<broken link removed>

The officer has been under the magnifying glass ever since the Chasse incident, now he is all over the news and not only his boss but every armchair quarterback/wannabe cop is publicly calling out for him to be fired.
I dont blame him for taking stress leave.

<broken link removed>

Sounds like the 12yo really did get the better of him after all :s0114:

This is what angers me,
all of you news watching couch cowboys...Oh it can't be that hard!!!! Blah, blah, blah,

But until you try it. You shouldn't say crap. It's not that easy. Of course it's easy to say when you online sitting in a chair.
Even the smallest people can put up a heck of a fight. Most offciers will tell you they would rather fight with a big guy than a small girl.
With a bigger person you can use more force without worrying about them getting seriously hurt.
Could they have been more aggressive and restrained her...Yeah probably but it's more likely she would have resulted in more serious injury. The use of other non-lethal weapons allows the officer to receive compliance without using force tht could more likely result in serious injury. What happened to her was a lot better than if they would have all jumped on her and pounded on her until they got her cuffed.

Most of you just don't know what your talking about. If this girl did this to you , then yeah you bust her in the mouth and choke her out, and you could do so legally 12 years old or not. But a cop has to bring her under arrest with as little assault as possible.

But that's why we live in a free country so you can give your opinion, wrong or not. A be tough when it's not you putting your life on the line to protect people that hate you.

Maybe instead of bashing LEOs who do their job, Thank them.
Because if they didn't care and do their job then more their would be more crime whether you like it or not.

Either way all you have is your opinion and if you haven't been through the training, or in the actual event then you really can't say anything truthful about this incident. Myself included.

Huh... All I know is if some 5'7" 160lbs.+ out of control POS (10 yrs. old or 100 yrs. old) hit me in the face like that cop got smacked... there'd be some SERIOUS broken nose blood, and teeth laying on the platform.... THEN I would have shot her with the beenie afterwards!! :D

I'm horrified by many of the comments here, those boldly second-guessing the cops on the ground. Did you not view the video, and see her flailing and throwing punches right up until the officer fired the beanbag? That cop's action SAVED the rabid girl from further injury! Did you not see the crowd of GANGSTERS spilling out of the train at that moment, and given pause by seeing the officers taking no further nonsense and controlling the situation?

First of all, police officers are not required to physically grapple with people if there is any alternative tool to use that might stop the fight. In fact they are trained NOT to. It is BIOLOGICALLY dangerous to scrap with possibly infected perps, and many of them DO carry disease in their blood! They have AIDS and hepatitis and MERSA and syphilis, and any fingernail scratch or spittle can transfer those, not to mention whatever sharp item they might have concealed in their clothing! A simple bite on a finger or a tooth puncture from a punch can cause a massive, untreatable infection that can cause a whole hand to rot off and even migrate to the heart valves. Every cop knows this and yet still goes to work every day---knowing that they must avoid grappling with an offender if they have a tool to avoid it.

Second, we have a gang war in Portland, and it is fueled with the younger gangster-wanna-bees who are very aggressive in trying to prove their toughness to the gangster crowd. DOZENS of people are killed here every year in gang violence, many of them innocent bystanders. The gangs don't care, they live on violence and they enjoy making outsiders suffer. Members and applicants gain status and power by HURTING people, and assaulting a cop brings the biggest boost. When their fury is up they have no fear, and getting wounded or arrested only adds to their glory. They travel in packs on public transit so that their cars don't get seized when they get busted. When they get approached by the law, they quickly pass off the drugs and guns to the young girls to hide and carry, because they might be the least likely to be searched. So, the young girls are the most likely to carry a weapon. Seeing a lot of cops on Trimet at 3:30 in the afternoon is because High School just got out and some gang fight is anticipated from Intelligence tips.

I am not speaking hypothetically. I have seen all this with my own eyes. I have had blood all over my uniform from gang fights. I drove Trimet bus for ten years on the East and North side of Portland, back in the Eighties and Nineties before the police patrolled Trimet, and I even drove the MAX train for seven months and was glad when I got demoted back to busses. Things are not much better now. PACKS OF FERAL TEENS WITH GUNS rove the system looking for trouble, and the police are the only thing preventing a new Mad Max movie. They are heros, and it is amazing how effective they are in stopping potential violence and riots.

Please, all of you armchair quarterbacks, go ride Trimet in the late evening for a couple of Friday nights and then maybe you will not be so eager to pontificate on how the police should behave...........................elsullo :cool:

There have been quite a few times that I've wanted to reply here, but the fact is, people like clearconscience and others have taken the words out my mouth. -tree

I'm horrified by many of the comments here, those boldly second-guessing the cops on the ground. Did you not view the video, and see her flailing and throwing punches right up until the officer fired the beanbag? That cop's action SAVED the rabid girl from further injury! Did you not see the crowd of GANGSTERS spilling out of the train at that moment, and given pause by seeing the officers taking no further nonsense and controlling the situation?

Are you suggesting that the crowd that gathered to watch what was happening would have attacked the police had he not fired a beanbag at the girl?

First of all, police officers are not required to physically grapple with people if there is any alternative tool to use that might stop the fight. In fact they are trained NOT to. It is BIOLOGICALLY dangerous to scrap with possibly infected perps, and many of them DO carry disease in their blood! They have AIDS and hepatitis and MERSA and syphilis, and any fingernail scratch or spittle can transfer those, not to mention whatever sharp item they might have concealed in their clothing! A simple bite on a finger or a tooth puncture from a punch can cause a massive, untreatable infection that can cause a whole hand to rot off and even migrate to the heart valves. Every cop knows this and yet still goes to work every day---knowing that they must avoid grappling with an offender if they have a tool to avoid it.

Subduing a suspect with a weapon is not the first choice of an officer, nor should it be. I can recall witnessing many arrests personally, and seen video of arrests and I cant agree with your statement. Physically restraining the suspect without the use of weapons is the standard. Bigger and badder guys have been taken down without excessive force, this 12yr old cant be that tough. Who knows, maybe we could put her in the ring with Mike Tyson... she could probably go at least 4 or 5 rounds.

Second, we have a gang war in Portland, and it is fueled with the younger gangster-wanna-bees who are very aggressive in trying to prove their toughness to the gangster crowd. DOZENS of people are killed here every year in gang violence, many of them innocent bystanders. The gangs don't care, they live on violence and they enjoy making outsiders suffer. Members and applicants gain status and power by HURTING people, and assaulting a cop brings the biggest boost. When their fury is up they have no fear, and getting wounded or arrested only adds to their glory. They travel in packs on public transit so that their cars don't get seized when they get busted. When they get approached by the law, they quickly pass off the drugs and guns to the young girls to hide and carry, because they might be the least likely to be searched. So, the young girls are the most likely to carry a weapon. Seeing a lot of cops on Trimet at 3:30 in the afternoon is because High School just got out and some gang fight is anticipated from Intelligence tips.

I want to call BS on that too. What evidence is there of a "gang war" in Portland, no doubt we have gang violence... but a gang war?
So when I get on MAX at 330-4pm at the 82nd Ave stop and I see DHS agents with dogs checking tickets, its because of an impending gang fight?

I am not speaking hypothetically. I have seen all this with my own eyes. I have had blood all over my uniform from gang fights. I drove Trimet bus for ten years on the East and North side of Portland, back in the Eighties and Nineties before the police patrolled Trimet, and I even drove the MAX train for seven months and was glad when I got demoted back to busses. Things are not much better now. PACKS OF FERAL TEENS WITH GUNS rove the system looking for trouble, and the police are the only thing preventing a new Mad Max movie. They are heros, and it is amazing how effective they are in stopping potential violence and riots.

I think you've watched "The Warriors" too many times. I think if these gang fights you fear were real, Im sure we would have heard something about it... but let me guess, the liberal media is keeping it quiet?
I have been riding TriMet for over 10 years. That includes many years riding unarmed and unprotected. I have never witnessed anything like you have described.

RIOTS?:s0114: Give me a break... you guys are too funny

Please, all of you armchair quarterbacks, go ride Trimet in the late evening for a couple of Friday nights and then maybe you will not be so eager to pontificate on how the police should behave...........................elsullo :cool:

As stated before, I have been there and done that. Ive never seen a serious fight on or near TriMet. I know violence has occurred in the past, but they were isolated incidents.
I have never been afraid while on trimet.
When you live in fear, all you see are threats.

You post about things you saw on COPS then post something like this:

This is what angers me,
all of you news watching couch cowboys...Oh it can't be that hard!!!! Blah, blah, blah,

But until you try it. You shouldn't say crap. It's not that easy. Of course it's easy to say when you online sitting in a chair.
Even the smallest people can put up a heck of a fight. Most offciers will tell you they would rather fight with a big guy than a small girl.
With a bigger person you can use more force without worrying about them getting seriously hurt.
Could they have been more aggressive and restrained her...Yeah probably but it's more likely she would have resulted in more serious injury. The use of other non-lethal weapons allows the officer to receive compliance without using force tht could more likely result in serious injury. What happened to her was a lot better than if they would have all jumped on her and pounded on her until they got her cuffed.

Most of you just don't know what your talking about. If this girl did this to you , then yeah you bust her in the mouth and choke her out, and you could do so legally 12 years old or not. But a cop has to bring her under arrest with as little assault as possible.

But that's why we live in a free country so you can give your opinion, wrong or not. A be tough when it's not you putting your life on the line to protect people that hate you.

Maybe instead of bashing LEOs who do their job, Thank them.
Because if they didn't care and do their job then more their would be more crime whether you like it or not.

Either way all you have is your opinion and if you haven't been through the training, or in the actual event then you really can't say anything truthful about this incident. Myself included.

:s0113:

That is rich.

No lack of heros here.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads