JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as the 12 year old seems she keeps getting bigger 150lbs then last night on the news 160lbs, the two cops had her down when she got shot with the bean bag, unless I am missing it,,? so my thinking is that bean bag was for punishment,,!!

You have to remember the fact that just because someone is on the ground that does not mean that they become compliant. I'm much more at home in a ground grappling scenario than a stand-up boxing match. In a split second the girl could have unholstered the wrestling officer's sidearm and then she would have a deadly weapon. Seems like the situation needed to be resolved right then and there which is what happened.

I'm thinking we'll never know. Cops cover their own. Bad shoot, good shoot. We'll never get the real story.

But shooting criminals in the leg sounds like a blast :D

I asked a member of my family about this, he is a PPD Officer and he said when the Officers contacted the mother of the 12 yr old she thanked them because her daughter is out of control.

It would be nice if the media contacted the family and got the whole story becasue they make something up.

I'm sure the next report will say she was a choir member of the neighborhood church and was on her way home from bible study when she was viciously attacked by rogue cops **** bent of societal destruction.

Or something like that.

ok, im getting really upset now..... none of us here was there that day we are all entitled to our opinions.... stop bashing others on here because your PPB or some other local law enforcement. the actions of that one officer is the reason why people are scared to be stopped by the police. The police are supposed to be here for publics safety not to scare the public. you guys are all commenting on the size of the girl, her size has nothing to do with it. she still is 12yrs old. if the officer that believed she was banned from tri met truly knew in fact it was her then he would have known she was only 12. my daughter just turned 11 and is 5'7" 120 pounds..... if she was ever disruptive or combative towards the police i would expect them to handle it in a professional manner, not tag her point blank with a bean bag.

and for those that said "oh but they found a gun and there was a crowd" i saw the video and saw no other people until the officer shot herd. i pray that this officer gets what he deserves, what ever it may be... i personally could care less. but i hope that the other officers involved do not have their records tarnished by one officer who may have used bad judgement or who made the wrong decision. no one knows for sure what really happen so...... lets all just take a breath and be glad it was not an adult cause it might have been a bullet in the chest.......

If I ever had a kid that acted like this, I would pray that the cops would treat her like any other criminal. And if she was fighting the cops and got shot with a bean bag, then good. I would thank the officer as well. That's nothing compared to what I would do with her.

And I think this officer acted in the right way, with the right actions. You CANNOT treat this girl as a 12 year old. She's a suspect and when she fights you, you take her down and neutralize the threat by whatever use of force you believe is right.
A citizen whith a gun is no longer a citizen their a soldier. I know she didn't have a gun and this was after the incident involving the crowd and suspected gun. They were doing their job, that fact that she's 12 has no bearing on how she's treated. She wants to act like an adult she should get treated as such.

If she's not that bad maybe you should let your 11 year old go make friends with her? I'm sure she's just misunderstood.
So you telling me you let your daughter out at 11pm at night? Hanging out with God knows who, doing God knows what?
This girl is a criminal, that's a fact. She was doing something illegal, getting on the max that she was banned from. She commited a felony by assaulting a police officer. And her own mother said she is out of control and thanked the officers!
She needs to be taught a lesson and I guarentee she will not learn from this, except that you can fight the cops and the ignorant people will defend her for being a criminal!
I hope the judge throws the book at her and she spends a long time in juvie. Because she will be back in the streets and getting busted again.

Trash.

Like a few other members here, I'm pretty shocked that so many are being anti-LEO. None of you were there to judge the situation, and it seems like it was handled appropriately and per protocol.

A beanbag shotgun is used for more than just crowd control. It's not a friggin' single use weapon. Not to mention that it was used appropriately here. He shot her in the thigh with it to subdue her and it worked! Surprise surprise!

It seems like most that think the cops did a bad job in this situation also would assume that all 12 year olds act like they did 20 or so years ago, and the fact of the matter is that they don't.

I just had a kid that couldn't have been more than 15 two days ago threaten to spit in my face and swing at me because I kicked him out of the store I work at. We had kicked him out before for shoplifting, and shoving one of my coworkers. Didn't matter to him, because he had no respect for anyone else in society.. I guarantee that this 12yo brat has the same attitude. She probably even has higher status with all her thug/gang friends now because she took on the cops. It's a friggin joke!

Not to mention, she had been excluded from trimet already!!!
You don't get kicked off trimet for chewing gum or laughing to loudly!! This kid is a detriment to society and had it coming!!! Kudos to the LEO's for doing their job and contributing to a more civil society!

If I ever had a kid that acted like this, I would pray that the cops would treat her like any other criminal. And if she was fighting the cops and got shot with a bean bag, then good. I would thank the officer as well. That's nothing compared to what I would do with her.

And I think this officer acted in the right way, with the right actions. You CANNOT treat this girl as a 12 year old. She's a suspect and when she fights you, you take her down and neutralize the threat by whatever use of force you believe is right.
A citizen whith a gun is no longer a citizen their a soldier. I know she didn't have a gun and this was after the incident involving the crowd and suspected gun. They were doing their job, that fact that she's 12 has no bearing on how she's treated. She wants to act like an adult she should get treated as such.

If she's not that bad maybe you should let your 11 year old go make friends with her? I'm sure she's just misunderstood.
So you telling me you let your daughter out at 11pm at night? Hanging out with God knows who, doing God knows what?
This girl is a criminal, that's a fact. She was doing something illegal, getting on the max that she was banned from. She commited a felony by assaulting a police officer. And her own mother said she is out of control and thanked the officers!
She needs to be taught a lesson and I guarentee she will not learn from this, except that you can fight the cops and the ignorant people will defend her for being a criminal!
I hope the judge throws the book at her and she spends a long time in juvie. Because she will be back in the streets and getting busted again.

Trash.

I will have to agree to disagree with that part, at what point do we let the cops go around shootting kids, and at what age,?? this kid never shows a weapon as we are not told she had one at this point we should not think other than that, we do have three or more cops in what looks like tac gear to me and one that gets mad and pops hers with a bean bag.

This all is really us the citizens being able to trust our LEO's not to use excessive force on us, in the Case Of James Chasse he died of blunt force trauma and suffered at least 26 broken bones during the arrest.
http://news.opb.org/article/3425-video-adds-new-wrinkle-case-james-chasse/
As far as the 12 year old seems she keeps getting bigger 150lbs then last night on the news 160lbs, the two cops had her down when she got shot with the bean bag, unless I am missing it,,? so my thinking is that bean bag was for punishment,,!!

I think you are right, you're missing it.

Has the whole world lost their minds here? Ask yourself if, when you were 12 years old, there was a single girl that you knew who could woop you? Not one right? Not a single one.

If a cop can't take down a 12 year old girl (I don't care if she's god's gift to Ultimate Fighting, 220lbs and hopped up on PCP) without resorting to weapons....he or she should not ever ever ever ever be a cop. An integral part of fulfilling your duties as a cop (what you are paid to do) is the ability to handle intense physical confrontation, if you can't do that against a 150 lb. 12 y/o girl how am I going to trust you when the guy is 6 foot 2, high as a kite and dragging me or someone I love into an alley?

There's no way taxpayer money can be justified on a cop who can't hold his own against a little girl. Good god, put the politics aside. It's not even the guy who fired the shot that should be punished, it's the geek that got his or her backside handed to him by, again....a 12 year old GIRL!

Period end of story.

Has the whole world lost their minds here? Ask yourself if, when you were 12 years old, there was a single girl that you knew who could woop you? Not one right? Not a single one.

If a cop can't take down a 12 year old girl (I don't care if she's god's gift to Ultimate Fighting, 220lbs and hopped up on PCP) without resorting to weapons....he or she should not ever ever ever ever be a cop. An integral part of fulfilling your duties as a cop (what you are paid to do) is the ability to handle intense physical confrontation, if you can't do that against a 150 lb. 12 y/o girl how am I going to trust you when the guy is 6 foot 2, high as a kite and dragging me or someone I love into an alley?

There's no way taxpayer money can be justified on a cop who can't hold his own against a little girl. Good god, put the politics aside. It's not even the guy who fired the shot that should be punished, it's the geek that got his or her backside handed to him by, again....a 12 year old GIRL!

Period end of story.

I don't think you understand what it's like to be a cop. There are specific policies and procedures that are followed in given situations. They would have acted the same way if it had been a 6'2" adult male. I really don't think it says in their SOP that they should lure combative 12 year olds with criminal records who just assaulted an officer off the MAX with a lollipop...:s0131:

Does PPB offer ride-alongs? I really think going on one would benefit those of you who think cops only deal with speeders and petty theft. You'd see that it's not a pretty world out there and if you don't take the type of action those officers took against that girl, you or your partner could end up injured or worse.

One last thing, I find it really amusing that so many here have to show off how macho they are because they could 100% have taken down that "defenseless little girl" all by themselves. That's just pretty brazen, petty, and shows a real lack of experience with the world around us.

That's my .02

Period end of story.

I am quite sure the officer...or myself for that matter...could have "taken the girl down" without the use of a less lethal weapon.

However...the outcome would probably result in the girl being injured far more severely than just getting a beanbag bruise on her butt.

If the cop uses a Taser on her...he gets accused of "police brutality."

If the cop uses a baton on her...he gets accused of "police brutality."

If the cop cold-cocks her with nothing but a bare fist...he gets accused of "police brutality".

If the cop uses pepper spray on her...he winds up getting it in his own eyes as well as being accused of "police brutality."

And, if the cop does everything humanly possible to avoid bruising, scratching, injuring, traumatizing or otherwise offending her in any way and she is then able to grab his weapon and shoot an innocent person with it...he gets accused of "negligence" and fired.

Lets focus on the outcome here. The girl resisted and instigated a fight; the police responded with a minimum level of force and took her into custody. The police were not injured; innocent bystanders were not injured; the only injury to the girl was a bruise on her butt cheek from a non lethal beanbag round.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem here.

Personally, I think all the Portland cops should go on strike for a few days and let the know it all liberals protect themselves. I am sure with their high level of intelligence and persuasve speaking ablity they can just talk the bad guys out of it ...no violence required.

I don't think you understand what it's like to be a cop. There are specific policies and procedures that are followed in given situations. They would have acted the same way if it had been a 6'2" adult male. I really don't think it says in their SOP that they should lure combative 12 year olds with criminal records who just assaulted an officer off the MAX with a lollipop...:s0131:

Does PPB offer ride-alongs? I really think going on one would benefit those of you who think cops only deal with speeders and petty theft. You'd see that it's not a pretty world out there and if you don't take the type of action those officers took against that girl, you or your partner could end up injured or worse.

One last thing, I find it really amusing that so many here have to show off how macho they are because they could 100% have taken down that "defenseless little girl" all by themselves. That's just pretty brazen, petty, and shows a real lack of experience with the world around us.

That's my .02

I find it amusing that you think dealing w/ a 6 foot 2 grown man is the same as a 12 y/o girl. For the record, I have a relative who works North Portland, has been involved in multiple shootings and endless hand to hand confrontations. Yeah, I've ridden along more than once and I know for a fact that there are multiple ways to deal with any single incident. My point stands and that point is if you cannot swiftly deal with a young girl without resorting to weapons, you've got no business being a cop.

I am quite sure the officer...or myself for that matter...could have "taken the girl down" without the use of a less lethal weapon.

However...the outcome would probably result in the girl being injured far more severely than just getting a beanbag bruise on her butt.

If the cop uses a Taser on her...he gets accused of "police brutality."

If the cop uses a baton on her...he gets accused of "police brutality."

If the cop cold-cocks her with nothing but a bare fist...he gets accused of "police brutality".

If the cop uses pepper spray on her...he winds up getting it in his own eyes as well as being accused of "police brutality."

And, if the cop does everything in his power to avoid bruising, scratching, injuring, traumatizing or otherwise offending her in any way and she is then able to grab his weapon and shoot an innocent person with it...he gets accused of "negligence" and fired.

Lets focus on the outcome here. The girl resisted and instigated a fight; the police responded with a minimum level of force and took her into custody. The police were not injured; innocent bystanders were not injured; the only injury to the girl was a bruise on her butt cheek from a non lethal beanbag round.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem here.

Dude you conveniently forgot the use of arm/hand and head holds with which all good cops are very familiar. Again, if the cop was worth his or her salt there would have been no need for a weapon at all.

Dude you conveniently forgot the use of arm/hand and head holds with which all good cops are very familiar. Again, if the cop was worth his or her salt there would have been no need for a weapon at all.

I seem to recall a few years back where some guy died from being put in a choke hold, so the police are no longer allowed to use them.

"Arm holds" sound great from the comfort of a couch. They may not always work in the real world. The cop who was there decided, for whatever reason, that an arm hold wouldnt work. He was there, you weren't, so I will trust his judgement. Furthermore, an "arm hold" may very well have resulted in a broken or sprained wrist for the girl, vs. a bruised butt cheek.

I might agree with you if the cop had shot her with live ammunition, or fractured her skull with a baton blow. He did neither. He hit her in the butt with a bean bag and no one got hurt.

Perp arrested; no injuries; minimum use of force. Where is the problem here?

The problem is that he couldn't take immediate physical control over her without resorting to a weapon. You are wrong in saying a beanbag is minimum force as by it's very definition it's an escalation over and above hand to hand.

My point is not an issue with police brutality, it's with police competence. Simply stated, any and all cops should be able to take down a 12 year old girl. If you can't then I don't want to pay your salary. Again, end of story because if cops are deserving of their jobs they should be able to perform their basic duties.

I'll say it one more time so you see it: the problem is that he could not contain a 12 y/o girl without resorting to backup. He sucks as a cop. Is that clear enough? Go watch that video where the guy battles for five minutes with a dude on the street---THAT is a cop.

I dont think that it was wrong. The little &^%^* had it coming!!! Could they have taken care of the problem other ways? Probably. But shooting her with a been bag sure would get the point across to the rest of her friends!!!!

The problem is that he couldn't take immediate physical control over her without resorting to a weapon. You are wrong in saying a beanbag is minimum force as by it's very definition it's an escalation over and above hand to hand.

And in this case, hand-to-hand may very well have exposed both the girl and the officers to the risk of injury.

I'm not a cop but I am a big guy and Im quite sure I could have taken that girl down without a weapon...but she would have a broken arm or be missing some teeth. Are you saying that is a better outcome than a beanbag to the butt?

They had her down but she wouldnt stop fighting and kicking and squirming. For all we know, she was trying to bite them or spit at them. She is the one that escalated the situation, not the cop.

Once again, focus on the outcome. No one got hurt.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top