JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have to take my dad to the VA hospital tomorrow and can one of the Portland members please give me the quickest route there? I will be coming up 26 to 84, then I-5 south and cross the river. Last time I did this I got really lost around Terwilliger and had to back track several miles but I would appreciate some directions I can follow. This will really help with a nervous mother and dad in the car! Thanks.

Yes, "Pill Hill" is a traffic nightmare! They made the Vet's Hospital as hard to get to as possible, and maps don't help much. Putting hospitals on high and narrow hills makes for a pretty view, but logistics helll.

Coming in Westbound on I-84 keep in the left-middle lane, and you swoop left onto I-5 Southbound. Then keep to the right lane for the immediate City Center Exit, bearing right onto the Morrison Bridge to enter Downtown. Keep in the right lane, and immediately curve right, and under the bridge, turning right onto Naito Parkway---which used to be called Front Ave. Just ignore the signs for I-5 South. This puts you Southbound on Naito/Front. Keep to the middle lane and do not leave it.

Naito/Front continues South and changes name to Barbour Blvd in about a mile. Go another half-mile South on Barbour Blvd, turn right on Bankroft St, go about three blocks and turn right onto Terwilliger Dr. Go about two-tenths mile and turn left onto Veteran's Hospital Drive. This gets you directly up to the hospital main entrance the "back way" so finding public parking might be interesting, but at least you can drop off right at the door.

This route keeps you out of the worst of the downtown scramble. Good luck!.........................elsullo

Thanks for the help - now will this work - I found it on the VA website

From the East:

Travel West on I-84 to the junction of I-5 South.
Follow I-5 across the Willamette River via the Marquam Bridge.
Take 6th Ave exit and get in the left lane immediately and turn left on College.
Turn left on Broadway, stay in the right lane and follow signs to VA Hospital.

^^^^^ That will work and it might be a little easiser than going the back way. I know it is a pain up there I worked up there on many a project and it is a mess at times. Good luck with the visit and I hope all goes well with the trip:s0155:

That aerial tram goes up to OHSU, but the Veterans' Hospital is on a different hilltop, which is reached by a relatively long walk across a "flying skybridge" across the canyon---a trip which might be too strenuous for several reasons. Neither leg of that trip would work for anyone not good at walking or afraid of heights! Driving up to the Vets' Hospital puts you right at their front door, with parking garages nearby............................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top