JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I quickly learned to stay away from the comments on the reports of this incident.
"Why was she out so late with her two children?"
"Did she even stop to take the time to determine if he (the intruder) was confused?"
"If he was suffering from mental illness this changes my view on whether this was a justified shooting."
Had she been sexually assaulted I imagine these same commenters would be outraged if anyone said those things. Add a firearm in to the mix and suddenly the victim becomes the assailant.

Time and time again, we see the same thing from the MSM, biased reporting making the victim of this into an assailent. Why does it always have to be the good guy who takes action that gets hammered by the media? Why cant they say good job, well done, way to go? NO they cant because that wouldn't be news worthy, instead they dig into this persons life, find one little tidbit and spin it to look like she was some kind of looney with a gun! I find this to be true with most news reporting, so I take every thing reported with a certain measure of restraint!

I quickly learned to stay away from the comments on the reports of this incident.
"Why was she out so late with her two children?"
"Did she even stop to take the time to determine if he (the intruder) was confused?"
"If he was suffering from mental illness this changes my view on whether this was a justified shooting."
Had she been sexually assaulted I imagine these same commenters would be outraged if anyone said those things. Add a firearm in to the mix and suddenly the victim becomes the assailant.

Well, it turns out that this 59 yr man had no criminal history of any significance, according to the police. But he was reported to be suffering from mentally illness and and being homeless recently.

It also turned out that this home had been empty for a long time before this woman rented it. There had been evidence that people had been staying in it, before she and her family recently moved in.

So it is rather doubtful that he was some sort of "bogeyman" out to harm her or her family. He may have simply thought that the home was still empty, and thus still a safe place to stay.

So it is rather doubtful that he was some sort of "bogeyman" out to harm her or her family. He may have simply thought that the home was still empty, and thus still a safe place to stay.

Maybe. Or maybe something inside him snapped and he decided to go Joseph Duncan on a family. In your kids bedroom is probably not the best place to try and figure out the intent of an intruder.

Maybe. Or maybe something inside him snapped and he decided to go Joseph Duncan on a family. In your kids bedroom is probably not the best place to try and figure out the intent of an intruder.

Well, but his lack of a criminal record is of importance. And the kids were not in the bedroom when she shot him. It was they who came home late and discovered him in what had been an empty house.

I don't believe that one necessarily has to always shoot in such situations. A person can pull out a gun, and order a person out of their home. Human life is much too important, to be so callous as to say that shooting is the only choice available, and the most desirable outcome under all circumstances.

This woman was probably so startled and frightened, though, that this shooting was probably inevitable. However, that still does not mean that this was the ideal outcome.

After all, what crime did this man commit, to deserve a death sentence??

Tell me, would you be willing to shoot this 59 yr old homeless man, if you found him in your home?

And please don't tell me that he looks scary, crazy, or reminds you of Charlie Manson.

bryan-cranston-looks-unrecognizable-as-homeless-man-in-wakefield-set-photos.jpg

Well, but his lack of a criminal record is of importance. And the kids were not in the bedroom when she shot him. It was they who came home late and discovered him in what had been an empty house.

I don't believe that one necessarily has to always shoot in such situations. A person can pull out a gun, and order a person out of their home. Human life is much too important, to be so callous as to say that shooting is the only choice available, and the most desirable outcome under all circumstances.

This woman was probably so startled and frightened, though, that this shooting was probably inevitable. However, that still does not mean that this was the ideal outcome.

I wouldn't shoot in every scenario involving finding someone in my home. If someone looks confused I would use force appropriate to keep my family safe but I'm 6'2" 250lbs, with an armed wife who would have my back so I have more options than most women.

In my opinion (and the opinion of most prosecutors) an intruder in the home is reason enough to feel threatened enough to justify deadly force.

Tell me, would you be willing to shoot this 59 yr old homeless man, if you found him in your home?
And please don't tell me that he looks scary, crazy, or reminds you of Charlie Manson.

Possibly. How am I supposed to know if he suffers from mental illness, is a drug user or a criminal breaking in to steal or to harm me?

If I am a single woman and alone in my home, you bet he looks scary and crazy.

Am I going to shoot just for no reason? Of course not. But if he doesn't leave when commanded to, or makes a move towards me and I feel threatened, then I am going to consider that option. I don't feel it is my responsibility to try to determine if he is simply homeless or mentally ill...and of course a member of either one of those groups is capable of doing harm to me.

I do with the outcome had been different, for both the intruder and family involved. It was certainly less than ideal. I do know that were I to return home by myself with my two children to find an intruder I would be less than inclined to conduct too much of an interview to find out the person's mental health status and criminal history. Fortunately I've not been in that situation, but as a woman who stands 5ft2in on a good day I can't imagine my response would be much different.

I do with the outcome had been different, for both the intruder and family involved. It was certainly less than ideal. I do know that were I to return home by myself with my two children to find an intruder I would be less than inclined to conduct too much of an interview to find out the person's mental health status and criminal history. Fortunately I've not been in that situation, but as a woman who stands 5ft2in on a good day I can't imagine my response would be much different.

Well, but this man never committed a violent crime in his entire 59 years. Trespassing was the worst offense the police said that he had on his record. Never was arrested for anything serious.

So was execution, without any trial, being fair to this man?? Does not seem like a just sentence to me.

I remember a case a number of years ago in Cottage Grove where a heavily drunken man apparently got confused walking home from a bar, went into the wrong house in the neighborhood, and collapsed on the living room couch.

The wife and kids that lived in the home heard noises, got out of bed, and discovered him sound asleep, and promptly fled the house. Instead of dialing 911, they went and got the husband, who had not been home. He also did not dial 911, and instead went into his home, retrieved a handgun, and confronted the man. The man woke up, and according to the police, was shot in the head almost immediately after he stood up, and dropped dead right next to the couch.

If my memory is right, the homeowner was charged with negligent homicide. My memory is foggy about how the trial went. I think that he may have been convicted, but I am not sure about the details.

Sad thing was that the dead man was a fisherman from Alaska, with no criminal record, who had come home to Cottage Grove for his mother's funeral. He had been drinking heavily because he had become real despondent over her death.

It was thus a very tragic incident for everyone involved.

After all, what crime did this man commit, to deserve a death sentence??

View attachment 300141

Holy crap, it's Walter White - now homeless in Portland! Guess he didn't die after all :D

Exactly how do you propose that his lack of criminal record and presumably stable state of mind be brought to bear on her decision -making?? Perhaps she should have had him fill out a 4473, or contact a mental health professional and have them come and do an evaluation??
Yes this situation probably could have ended peacefully, but only if the woman risked the safety of herself and her children,
which she cannot be expected to do. If life is that precious, he shouldn't have jeopardized his own by putting himself in a position where a reasonable and prudent person would consider him an imminent threat to their safety.
Yes it is an unfortunate situation, but from what information we have she did exactly the right thing and I hope she sleeps soundly at night knowing that.

Edited to add;
Comparing this incident to that in Cottage Grove is like comparing apples to Orange Free State. It is an insult to this woman to imply any correlation to that event as you describe it.

Speaking for myself here. I've been a firearms enthusiast for only six years. I'd always had it in my mind, a said as much, that if anyone ever broke into my home and I had the means I would SHOOT them dead and only worry about the stains on the carpet. After getting into guns, and taking the CC carry class where the instructor ran through some scenarios, I did a complete 180 on my thinking. Shooting and killing/maiming someone who doesn't reeeaally need it is the worst thing imaginal for me.

I fully agree with @Lance Jacobs here, but I also believe that our home is our castle and the woman with two kids coming home to find an intruder shouldn't be put up on charges either. This should be a learning experience, and really giving us something to think about.

Shooting and killing someone should be an absolute LAST resort. If not for the poor bugger, and their family, you may shoot, for the fact YOU may be the one getting pulled through the wringer.

We know now he didn't have a criminal record but she had no way of knowing. She acted in self defense with the information she had at hand.
Absolutely shooting someone is an absolute last resort. Drawing your weapon should be a last resort. Regardless of the law, I would do everything I could do avoid so much as pointing my weapon at someone. Arriving home with my children to find an unknown intruder may very well be the time I do. Would I demand he leave before drawing and firing? It really depends on what he's doing. With the facts we know in this case, I believe her actions were very reasonable.

If life is that precious, he shouldn't have jeopardized his own by putting himself in a position where a reasonable and prudent person would consider him an imminent threat to their safety.
Absolutely - the home and family has to be the basis of security - and the FIRST expectation of being able to defend it IF it is entered needs to be protected regardless - otherwise this will be second guessed to the point where we are required by law to to treat the intruder as some sort of 'unexpected guest' that WE have to treat with 'kid gloves' - sorry I am OK with this - as previously mentioned HE jeopardized his own and paid the the price! If the home cannot be considered the basis of security and the protection of it sacred then there is NO reason to consider self defense as a 'God Given Right' and no reason to consider it outside the home, or anywhere else for that matter.

Don't forget that her decision was made while hopped up on our own bodies flight or fight drug. So even if you really want to shoot as a last resort, your judgement is modified compared to your everyday judgement. Hence why police go through so much training to try andmitigate this. Expectations and the outcomes will be different that arm chair retrospect no matter how precious life is. Good choices in life start long before a single choice in the moment. True for a victim, or for an offender

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top