JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may have been already posted...

Portland mayor to announce gun buy-back event scheduled for December
Published: Monday, November 15, 2010, 12:23 AM Updated: Monday, November 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Maxine Bernstein, The Oregonian

As Mayor Sam Adams prepares to bring to City Council on Thursday five proposed ordinances to stem shootings through gun-control regulations and stiffer juvenile curfews, he's expected to also announce today a gun buy-back event scheduled for the second week in December.

The mayor said on Friday he'd announce the exact date and location today. The December date, Adams said, should draw plenty of gun owners who may looking for extra shopping money for the holidays.

Ceasefire Oregon hosted 15 annual gun turn-in events since 1994, but had to discontinue the event two years ago because lack of donations. For each firearm turned in, residents receive a merchandise gift certificate.

At its last Nov. 1, 2008 gun turn-in event, the group ran out of gift certificates and funds before it could "buy back" everyone's guns, causing many people to take their guns back home. In each of the last five turn-ins, including two in 2007, Ceasefire Oregon received 95 to 124 guns per turn-in, according to its website. The total number of guns received since 1994 are 7,161.

Portland Cmdr. Dave Benson said police do not check the identification of those who turn in guns.

"The whole purpose of gun turn-ins is no questions are asked,'' Benson said. "This is an anonymous gun turn-in.''

Ceasefire Oregon cites these reasons for turning in a gun:

• Young, lively, curious children are at your home.
• Someone in your family or a friend or neighbor is suffering from depression.
• The firearm cannot be properly stored.
• The gun was left by an earlier occupant of the house.
• You can't guarantee that someone else won't get the gun.
• You want to do something to reduce the number of gun accidents, suicides, and homicides.
• A gun in the home could kill or injure a family member or friend.
• You would rather have a gift certificate than the gun.

--Maxine Bernstein

Portland mayor to announce gun buy-back event scheduled for December | OregonLive.com

Adams is an idiot. More feel good politics. Besides, doesn't "buy-back" infer that Adams and his minions owned the weapons previously. Yeah, let me take an $800 Sig and turn it in for a chump change gift certificate. I better make plans to get the day off so I can go. Those kinds of deals rarely come around. ;)

Adams is an idiot. More feel good politics. Besides, doesn't "buy-back" infer that Adams and his minions owned the weapons previously. Yeah, let me take an $800 Sig and turn it in for a chump change gift certificate. I better make plans to get the day off so I can go. Those kinds of deals rarely come around. ;)

This might be a good chance to buy a bunch of guns cheap. Just stand outside with a sign stating you will give twice what they are giving in gift certificates in cash, for the right gun though of course.

This might be a good chance to buy a bunch of guns cheap. Just stand outside with a sign stating you will give twice what they are giving in gift certificates in cash, for the right gun though of course.

No kidding there, but you may come up with some stolen or otherwise illegal guns. no ID to turn in the weapons, sound like a great way to destroy evidence without being caught.

Adams...what a Joke!

Even if it was a broken Hi Point and they were giving out big money they still wouldnt get one from me. If I lived up there it would be good to watch for the little old lady coming to turn in her deceased husbands bring back from the war though.:s0131:

Yup, turn in "your guns" and the gangbangers will stop shooting innocents and each other.........:s0155:

Great plan Sammy !!!!
.....:s0113:

Do you think the sheriff's office will mind if we call them a hundred times to ask if guns are stolen? :D We can tell people that we do check if it is stolen.

If you really wanna do it, I will come help man a table with you. We can get a whole group and it will be awesome. Have like, mini-auctions right there.

I wonder if you could stand near the table of transaction and tell people you will give them X amount for said guns...

I bet someone would walk away with some deals, but I would def. check to see if it was stolen first.

Gee, I wish I had held onto this old thing so I could trade it in for a gift certificate. :)

View attachment 198408

All gun buybacks do is waste time and effort. All that is collected are old single barrel shotguns that are unshootable anymore and cheap broken potmetal pistols.

Of course the politicians always bring in a few guns from the local police's stash to sweeten the photo op and make it look like they actually took something off the street.

I wonder how many criminals will decide to turn in their guns and leave their life of crime behind?

Anyone know how much they have offered in gift certificate cash in the past to turn in a gun?

Just remember where the money is coming from for those sweet gift cards...

Yeah, I have a few single shotguns and a jennings .22lr. but i'm not gonna let them destroy a perfectly good gun for nothing.

I wonder how many criminals will decide to turn in their guns and leave their life of crime behind?

Anyone know how much they have offered in gift certificate cash in the past to turn in a gun?

It won't be more than $100 I bet. May be as low as $50.

Of course the politicians always bring in a few guns from the local police's stash to sweeten the photo op and make it look like they actually took something off the street.

We could do the same and bring something from our private collections. I'm sure that between us we could come up with quite a few very evil and black looking guns. Maybe even some NFA items...

If by some odd chance they take in a few nice guns (probably stolen), they stated they would not check the serial numbers... So how would those guns get back to the law abiding citizens that they were stolen from? Oh they wouldn't, but I am sure they would recycle the metal...

"Photo op" could summarize this whole event!

When I was in the police academy several of us were "volunteered" to work at a local gun buyback in Dunbar. After a full weekend of work and several thousand dollars (they actually gave out cash...$50-$75 per gun if I remember correctly...which I am sure went straight to buy milk and eggs and not drugs) they managed to collect a nice pile of bent shotguns and broken .22 pistols. Of course the local politicians and sheriff laid out a big tarp on the ground and filled it with pistols and rifles from the seized weapons locker at the local police department. They even sweetened the pot with several of the new semi-auto rifles that belonged to the department itself. They then allowed all the local reporters to do their reports standing in front of the huge haul.

Since it's no question ask... can I bring in those old bb guns doesn't work? Any gun right? Hmmmm BB guns are evil, it can actually shoot and kill/hurt family members.... I am taking all my junk BB guns and will give it a try to sell back to them....

BB guns are baddddd, guns are baddddd any gun would be baddddd. I have couple Jenning 380 that missing parts that I will trade in. Use that gift cert go buy guns and ammo :) Win Win situation for me.

Please keep me post which day :)

If by some odd chance they take in a few nice guns (probably stolen), they stated they would not check the serial numbers... So how would those guns get back to the law abiding citizens that they were stolen from? Oh they wouldn't, but I am sure they would recycle the metal...

As someone who has had guns stolen from me I must acknowledge you have a good point there!

Do you think the sheriff's office will mind if we call them a hundred times to ask if guns are stolen? :D We can tell people that we do check if it is stolen.

If you really wanna do it, I will come help man a table with you. We can get a whole group and it will be awesome. Have like, mini-auctions right there.

Oh i wish I lived closer and um, well had the spare money to do so....

I would be very much down with helping out a booth like that.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads