JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any information about the enforcement of Chapter 14A.60.10 prohibiting loaded firearms in public places by the City of Portland? I ask this in order to prepare to lobby legislators against further restrictions on firearms ownership/use.

My suspicion is that this law isn't much used against the drive-by shooters and gangsters/drug pushers that get caught in PDX. It seems likely to be the first charge to get dropped in a plea bargain.

If this pretty simple law isn't enforced against the criminal element, why should there be a need for more restrictions on law-abiding citizens?

city code violations are usually dropped in a plea bargain..because they are violations and misdemeanors. Using your example of a drive by shooter..you have the state felony level charge of attempted murder, menacing, and reckless endangerment for each victim if no one got hit, just for starters..The DA's office is not going to care one bit about a dumping a city code violation when they have multiple measure 11 charges on the bad guy...Thats how the plea bargain system works

If the ONLY charge is 14A.60.10 then it gets charged...typically this happens to juveniles caught with a gun who have no prior criminal history and were caught carrying it (the new gangster whose never been caught...he holds the gun and takes the blame for the homies if they get caught)...I dont know a "real" gangster who doesnt have a felony conviction by the time hes 16-17...most of them have several...getting caught with a gun is a felon in possesion charge for them....If by chance a hardcore gangster makes it to 18 without any felony convictions that carry over to adulthood.. Then Ive seen them get a CCW and be the gun carrier for the crew of felons until they get caught up in something and loose the CCW.

I dont believe there should be anymore restrictions on law abiding citizens by the government...however I dont think arguing the enforcement of the city code of portland based on plea bargaining is gonna get you where you wanna be

I see persons charged with, felon in possession of a firearm quite often on our jail web site.

Nothing really happens to them, at the most they get 30 to 180 days (depending on the other crimes involved ) in the county jail. Which is no big deal to these people that are frequent fliers.

I overheard a conversation, between a local LEO and a known frequent flier, the suspect actually said he likes being in jail and that is like home to him.

I believe our legal system likes all the return business.

It keeps the LEO's asking for more money, the court staff and judges ask for more money, lawyers make money, the community health services ask for more money and many, many others benefit from this revolving door judicial system.

The big losers in this scam, are the honest citizens.

The citizens have to keep paying due to lost lives, stolen property and the folks that keep wanting us to dip into our pockets to pay the LEO's, judges, community health, etc.... that just keep puting the criminals back on the street.

The whole leagal system is broken beyond repair and we have to pick up the tab.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top