JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For Oregon Shows, I'd rate Rickreall probably about the best for my interests, but attended Albany last month for the first time, and that was VERY good. Best show in Oregon is the once-a-year Collectors show in August at the Airport Holiday Inn.

These ratings reflect my experience (45 years since childhood, where I was literally raised at gunshows), and my preferences, which lean toward older guns as contrasted to the current engine that drives the firearms trade: tactical oriented stuff.

The Portland shows are still worthwhile to me, as I consider the show itself a form of entertainment (costing less than a half rack of decent beer, including parking). An attentive browser can still find a bargain, especially from the walk-ins.

hey now, don't go messing with the nice folks that sell that fudge! Sometimes that is my only win from the Portland show. As for all the other stuff...well so they try to sell it at a gunshow, not a big deal to me. When I go, I know pretty much what I am looking for, if I don't see it, I can leave happy with the fudge. BTW, I part at the park and right and take the rail into the show, eliminates the need for paying the parking. Even walked a couple of times, not too bad of a walk.
Went to the show up in St. Helens, much smaller but pretty much to the point, guns and accessories. And it is about the same distance for me that the Portland Expo show is.
I prefer the Hillsboro show, but unfortunately, it usually ends up coming around when I don't have the cash...

Yeah, I did buy some fudge. But nothing else.

Well as a vendor at the show I will agree with most of this banter, and am myself tired of seeing beanie babies and other lame bubblegum at a gunshow. However, I do not agree that prices are inflated and at the risk of irritating a few here can comfortably state that prices in the NW are lower than some other places in the states and that we have been spoiled by current pricing, especially in the AR market. I offer quality parts and assemblies at reasonable prices and continually get beat out by guys selling crap with Chinese hand guards and "gun in a bag" assembled receivers sold as rifle kits. We try hard to offer quality American merchandise and lose lots of money to knock-off junk salesman. But I gotta make a living so I keep going. If we see another SHTF scenario like we did in '08 you all are gonna wish you could buy at the prices displayed at the last show. Even though I would profit greatly, I sincerely hope that does not happen again. But be advised, some parts are already drying up! For vendors it costs $80 per table for the weekend and we have to pay for parking and our help too. So love it or hate it, it's a place to see a lot of hardware under one roof even if you don't find that awesome deal on a used gun you were hoping for. Come on down to Central Point this weekend if you wanna see a real hometown gunshow, there will be less than 75 tables. And the prices are no better than in Portland.

Signed chief A$$hat, TNT Weaponry

I went to the Portland Gun Show this weekend for the first time ever, and all I got was this lingering headache. It was the worst show I'd ever been to in my life. The only decent deal I saw was on some AR's for $599, no FTF sales that I could see, and far too much non-gun related padding that should be at a gun show, and the hall could only have been two thirds full at most, I also paid for parking at a gun show for the first time in my life at this place! Are there any decent shows in the area that anyone recommends?

Try the one in Bend. It doesn't have all the junk and has free parking. $8 entry fee though. Always good stuff. Lots of gun tables. Lots of accessories. Lots of ammo. Coming up 11/10 11/12....USMC Birthday. Should be good.

Signed chief A$$hat, TNT Weaponry

you forgot to add the 2hq8d1z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey now, don't go messing with the nice folks that sell that fudge! Sometimes that is my only win from the Portland show. As for all the other stuff...well so they try to sell it at a gunshow, not a big deal to me. When I go, I know pretty much what I am looking for, if I don't see it, I can leave happy with the fudge. BTW, I part at the park and right and take the rail into the show, eliminates the need for paying the parking. Even walked a couple of times, not too bad of a walk.
Went to the show up in St. Helens, much smaller but pretty much to the point, guns and accessories. And it is about the same distance for me that the Portland Expo show is.
I prefer the Hillsboro show, but unfortunately, it usually ends up coming around when I don't have the cash...

I've also enjoyed Hillsboro, but it's hit or miss. A couple times ago, both rooms were quite full, and that was a good show. Went there again last time, main room only, spread out thin, probably 3/4 capacity. Yawn...

The bigger shows tend to feature a better choice of bulk ammo sellers, hopefully making up a bit for the cost of entry - if that's what you're after. Works for me, I stock up, dump it in the car and then I just roam and see if I missed anything. Same 'ol sh*t more often than not.

Glad I didn't waste time or parking on the Expo show last weekend. A few friends went and all reported it was a typically "off-topic" dud.

So I get that FTF sales are verboten, even off site. What if I take a vendor's number, we chat later on the phone, then he/she sells me a weapon as a private owner?

I got 50% of my list. Went for some good quality bulk ammo at a reasonable price. Found the .223 but nil on the .308. It was a pretty crappy show even for these goof balls! At the Expo shows, when I go I have a list (generally ammo) and I rarely even glance at the other tables. Best policy!

So I get that FTF sales are verboten, even off site. What if I take a vendor's number, we chat later on the phone, then he/she sells me a weapon as a private owner?

I believe, that would be fine. From my understanding of the law, it becomes an issue if you make a deal on a particular weapon at the show and pay for it later. As long as you don't initiate a deal on a weapon at the show, you should be fine. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Try the one in Bend. It doesn't have all the junk and has free parking. $8 entry fee though. Always good stuff. Lots of gun tables. Lots of accessories. Lots of ammo. Coming up 11/10 11/12....USMC Birthday. Should be good.

That show is actually in Redmond, in the HDAC builing of the Deschutes County Expo Center.
Hope to see you all there !

BTW, the JSSA shows in Klamath Falls in December and April are very good IMHO.

I believe, that would be fine. From my understanding of the law, it becomes an issue if you make a deal on a particular weapon at the show and pay for it later. As long as you don't initiate a deal on a weapon at the show, you should be fine. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

What do you mean make a deal and pay later ? Question is do you take possession of a firearm at the gun show. If you do, it has to come from an FFL.

What do you mean make a deal and pay later ? Question is do you take possession of a firearm at the gun show. If you do, it has to come from an FFL.

Here is what I mean. For example: seller Joe Blow is walking around the gun show with a pistol, buyer Bubba Gump sees the pistol and says "Hey Joe, I want to buy that gun; to avoid the FFL transaction, lets wait until tomorrow to complete the transaction. I will meet you in front of the shopping center at noon with the cash." This would be illegal because the deal originated at the gun show. I think this is a stupid law myself, but I believe this is how it works. Am I right or wrong?

Here is what I mean. For example: seller Joe Blow is walking around the gun show with a pistol, buyer Bubba Gump sees the pistol and says "Hey Joe, I want to buy that gun; to avoid the FFL transaction, lets wait until tomorrow to complete the transaction. I will meet you in front of the shopping center at noon with the cash." This would be illegal because the deal originated at the gun show. I think this is a stupid law myself, but I believe this is how it works. Am I right or wrong?

You are correct, this would be illegal.

Is there any way for the Authorities to know that either of individual participated in such a transaction?

No.

But what if one of the individuals was an undercover law enforcement official?

Keith

I see. Fortunately you are wrong :) ORS 166.438 is the controlling law here, and it says non-licensee can't transfer firearm unless certain requirements are met.

You are correct, this would be illegal.

Is there any way for the Authorities to know that either of individual participated in such a transaction?

No.

But what if either individual was an undercover law enforcement official?

Keith

He is incorrect. For transfer to take place at the gun show, the other party has to take possession of the firearm at the gun show. Please check ORS 166.438 for exact wording - I'm on a phone atm.

I cannot complain too much about the gun show this past weekend. I went in and almost immediately found what I was looking for...and at a price lower than ordering it online. Now if NICS would just allow me to pick it up.

He is incorrect. For transfer to take place at the gun show, the other party has to take possession of the firearm at the gun show. Please check ORS 166.438 for exact wording - I'm on a phone atm.

You are correct, it does not say that. Why then, in the last x number of years since the law has been passed, has the word not been passed and why don't we now see everyone walking out to the street off of Expo Center property to conduct private transactions? This is a question, not a challenge.

Keith

We didn't go this past weekend as I can't fondle anything right now just having had another hand surgery and it wouldn't have been fair!
When we do go, this particular show is never that great, but we go straight after what we're looking for and then for the rest of the time we just check the people out! It's usually a pretty interesting crowd, you know?
I realize there are an awful lot of unrelated items/booths more and more, but people need to do whatever/go wherever they must to make their business prosper. It's a bit alarming to hear what they have to pay for the space, considering the money they most likely don't bring in.
The worst part of the shows at the Expo is the money they want for parking!

Wifey

You are correct, it does not say that. Why then, in the last x number of years since the law has been passed, has the word not been passed and why don't we now see everyone walking out to the street off of Expo Center property to conduct private transactions? This is a question, not a challenge.

Keith

I can only speculate - people just have certain beliefs, and they rarely go an extra mile to verify them. Somehow, somewhere they learned about Oregon gun show restrictions on private sales, but they never tried to figure out what exactly is prohibited. We also have a lot of individuals who like to stick it to the man - I don't need no bubblegumming permission to sell my property! :D

I can only speculate - people just have certain beliefs, and they rarely go an extra mile to verify them. Somehow, somewhere they learned about Oregon gun show restrictions on private sales, but they never tried to figure out what exactly is prohibited. We also have a lot of individuals who like to stick it to the man - I don't need no bubblegumming permission to sell my property! :D

The security people working the door at the Portland show were asking people to show them their receipts for firearms, to me that is an infringement of my privacy, nor do I want anyone else seeing what I've bought, any part of my ID (for my own paranoid need to protect myself from identity theft, of which I have been a victim).

To be frank, any felon trying to buy a gun legally or from a forum like this, that they intend to use in a crime in a born idiot and is going to get caught either way. I don't ask for ID because I think that's a *** hole move, I'll do a bill of sale for the buyers home and content insurance in an instant if they ask for it, and if I get low balled on an already good deal I will call that person out.

Does that seem fair or am I just a southern *** hole.

The security people working the door at the Portland show were asking people to show them their receipts for firearms, to me that is an infringement of my privacy, nor do I want anyone else seeing what I've bought, any part of my ID (for my own paranoid need to protect myself from identity theft, of which I have been a victim).

Well, usually to argue infringement of any sort you have to present a context where you had no choice and then you got strip-searched and probed. I hardly find it to be the case with the Portland gun show - I haven't been there for months, and not planning to go for many months to come. I'm sure you can do the same.

To be frank, any felon trying to buy a gun legally or from a forum like this, that they intend to use in a crime in a born idiot and is going to get caught either way. I don't ask for ID because I think that's a *** hole move, I'll do a bill of sale for the buyers home and content insurance in an instant if they ask for it, and if I get low balled on an already good deal I will call that person out.

Does that seem fair or am I just a southern *** hole.

When you get busted for selling a firearm privately to an ATF agent from another state, don't forget to make a post on this forum about the amount of the bail, and overall experience :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top