Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portland Gun Show = *** hat

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by malinky, Oct 22, 2012.

1. malinky

malinky Portland, Oregon Member

I went to the Portland Gun Show this weekend for the first time ever, and all I got was this lingering headache. It was the worst show I'd ever been to in my life. The only decent deal I saw was on some AR's for $599, no FTF sales that I could see, and far too much non-gun related padding that should be at a gun show, and the hall could only have been two thirds full at most, I also paid for parking at a gun show for the first time in my life at this place! Are there any decent shows in the area that anyone recommends?

2. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Most people are in the hoarding stage of an election year, probably won't be a lot of good deals on used guns until either Romney wins or people need money for Christmas.

pdx210 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Rickreall in December. $5 admission and free parking. Miwall guy will be there with good ammo prices. Lots of older guns, but NO beanie babies.

4. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

OP...FTF sales are prohibited at OR gunshows without utilizing the services of a friendly FFL. No, you can't go out to the parking lot either. Yes, it sucks.

Keith

5. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Most of the gunshows are alright, some are a little better than others, but the Portland Expo shows are the worst!

6. Chalupacabra

Chalupacabra Portland Active Member

I liked seeing the Dillon Reloading stuff straight from the reps. But yes, I am getting tired of seeing Nuts, jerky, soap, and Dish Network tables at a gun show.

7. malinky

That does suck, I'm from NC where it isn't a problem. I was not previously aware of this restriction. What is the law for FTF to private transactions here in your lovely state?

8. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

None. I am doing one tomorrow morning before work and another after :) . Both are evil AKs no less.

Keith

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your wording makes it sound like your not actually a resident of Oregon. In which case you wouldn't be allowed to buy a firearm at a show anyway.

But at a gunshow all sales are subject to a Background check through the oregon state police. And subject to the 10.00 fee for said check. This includes sales in the parking lot and sales originating at the gun show (no meeting at the mini mart a mile down the road)

Which basically means Oregon does not have the so called Gunshow loophole.

FTF sales originating somewhere else such as a classified ad here or the local newspaper are perfectly legal as long as both people are residents of the state and the buyer is legal to own.

10. lwilcox28

lwilcox28 SW WA New Member

I thought prices were higher across the board compared to the local stores, I really didn't see anything that was a deal.

11. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

And now you know why I will never attend another gun show as long as I live.

12. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

The Albany pistol & rifle club show at the Linn co fairgrounds is the best I'v been to in several states. Rickreall is much smaller, but alot of stuff packed in there, 99% gun related.

13. idRATHERbeOUTDOORS

idRATHERbeOUTDOORS Yamhill County Active Member

+1 on albany, it blew the PDX show out of the water IMHO.

14. Gaucho Gringo

Gaucho Gringo Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I thought Miwall went belly up. I used to go the Portland gun shows just so I could buy some ammo from them. I still have some of it left. Haven't gone to a Portland gun show in 3 years.

15. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

Their site says they'll be at Rickreal on Dec. 8-9th.

Shows

16. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Haven't been to an Portland Expo gunshow in a while but the last one I attended had a lady selling makeup. That was it for me, no more Portland Expo shows.

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

If I attend a Gun show I usually am only doing it to drop a lot of coin on ammo or components. Or to find those hard to find parts from the firearm parts dealers. Have a specific list and a specific price I'm willing to pay. Having attended several in several states, some are good some are bad.

The key is knowing what you are buying and paying for before you get it. The Internet is a great tool in checking out prices that way. I enjoy walking up to an ammo dealer, looking at their price, looking online for the same product factoring in shipping or driving/gas time and then getting the cheaper.

Though, I don't attend many these days because I had one too many firearms pointed at me. I get tired of bubblegum dealers who don't know how to field strip their products let alone handle them correctly. But that is another topic...

18. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

I dont like the gun shows anymore prices are way overinflated.

19. malinky

By wording you mean the way I phrased by enquiry yes? Did it not cross your mind that I recently moved here, which might be the reason for my lack of familiarity with Oregon gun laws? Your response makes you sound like a paranoid hillbilly, I hope you are neither. I was not aware that such restrictions, nor was I aware that a background check would cost me 10 bucks, they cost $3 anywhere between Virginia and South Carolina. So gun prices and background check fees are also hiked up, as well as extremely hard to find deals on ammo. For the other guys, I saw makeup, fudge, remote control toys, bb guns, dried food and folk art at the Portland show, there wasn't even a decent surplus table.

20. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

hey now, don't go messing with the nice folks that sell that fudge! Sometimes that is my only win from the Portland show. As for all the other stuff...well so they try to sell it at a gunshow, not a big deal to me. When I go, I know pretty much what I am looking for, if I don't see it, I can leave happy with the fudge. BTW, I part at the park and right and take the rail into the show, eliminates the need for paying the parking. Even walked a couple of times, not too bad of a walk.
    Went to the show up in St. Helens, much smaller but pretty much to the point, guns and accessories. And it is about the same distance for me that the Portland Expo show is.
    I prefer the Hillsboro show, but unfortunately, it usually ends up coming around when I don't have the cash...