JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently moved to the Portland area from the Seattle area. When I started looking for a new indoor gun range the first thing I noticed is most around here require you to use their ammo even if you are shooting your own gun. Second the ones that do allow you to use your own ammo charge you a $5 fee per box of ammo.

WTF, is that all about? Where I was in WA none of the ranges required you to use their ammo in your gun or charged you a fee for using your own. I have also noticed the member fees at these ranges are much higher than what I am used to.

I talked to a sales rep in one of the gun stores who said they do that because of lead contamination. Is it just because of OR laws or some ultraliberal BS environmental thing?

It has caused me to look at one of the gun clubs. But one of the things I liked about just a normal shooting range is they had gun rentals. So if I wanted to try something different I could try one out and it not cost an arm and a leg. Also most of the gun clubs seem to cater more to those who like to shoot long guns. I took a look at Tri-county and the only short range lanes they had were built into storage containers. No thanks. Not to mention their waiting list is about 10 months long.

I know I may be coming off sounding like a whiny baby but in WA nice indoor gun ranges that didn't have that silly ammo rule or charge silly fees were a dime a dozen.

Johnsoncreek gun club.
Your own ammo but the range is limited to 50 ft, and has ammo type limitations.

Everyone else it is a combination of insurance costs, liability and making money.

The ordinances around gun ranges are pretty strict from what I hear (and made by lawmakers who do not know what they are making laws on)

It's a bit in the outskirts, but take a look at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Estacada. They have a decent indoor range - no special ammo or ammo fees. But no gun rentals. Plenty of outdoor options. And, I believe they are actively taking new members. And the folks there are friendly.

Johnsoncreek gun club.
Your own ammo but the range is limited to 50 ft, and has ammo type limitations.

Everyone else it is a combination of insurance costs, liability and making money.

The ordinances around gun ranges are pretty strict from what I hear (and made by lawmakers who do not know what they are making laws on)

I like the club but do dislike when I get a new revolver and cannot shoot magnum rounds out of it. I would be able to let that go but they would need to start allowing people to bring the targets closer. I cannot hit a damn thing with my NAA mini revolver at 50ft. Pay dues and still have to drive out to the woods to shoot half my guns.

I like the club but do dislike when I get a new revolver and cannot shoot magnum rounds out of it. I would be able to let that go but they would need to start allowing people to bring the targets closer. I cannot hit a damn thing with my NAA mini revolver at 50ft. Pay dues and still have to drive out to the woods to shoot half my guns.

Exactly why I left that range. I spent a year there, but it's just too restrictive. It's not a bad spot in town, but the limitation on certain calibers/loads and the restriction of 50 feet only got me to move out to DRRC. Many, many more options out there. I don't have anything against Johnson Creek, they are nice folks, but the range is just too limited.

I recently moved to the Portland area from the Seattle area. When I started looking for a new indoor gun range the first thing I noticed is most around here require you to use their ammo even if you are shooting your own gun. Second the ones that do allow you to use your own ammo charge you a $5 fee per box of ammo.

WTF, is that all about? Where I was in WA none of the ranges required you to use their ammo in your gun or charged you a fee for using your own. I have also noticed the member fees at these ranges are much higher than what I am used to.

I talked to a sales rep in one of the gun stores who said they do that because of lead contamination. Is it just because of OR laws or some ultraliberal BS environmental thing?

It has caused me to look at one of the gun clubs. But one of the things I liked about just a normal shooting range is they had gun rentals. So if I wanted to try something different I could try one out and it not cost an arm and a leg. Also most of the gun clubs seem to cater more to those who like to shoot long guns. I took a look at Tri-county and the only short range lanes they had were built into storage containers. No thanks. Not to mention their waiting list is about 10 months long.

I know I may be coming off sounding like a whiny baby but in WA nice indoor gun ranges that didn't have that silly ammo rule or charge silly fees were a dime a dozen.
If you are not too far from Newberg, check out Newberg Pistol and Rifle club.
$30 dues a year, $3.00 range fee, they provide targets, you bring your own ammo (no extra charge for it).

Thanks for everyone's input. I checked out Johnson Creek yesterday and knew I didn't want to only shoot at a 50ft target. And Douglas and Newberg are a bit too far to drive to on a regular basis. I guess I was spoiled in WA by having an awesome range only about 15-20 minutes from my place. I could shoot just about any handgun I wanted at any distance. They even had a tactical range for classes and a range for small cal rifles and shotguns. I guess I will have to make due while I am in Portland. I'm only here while I go to school.

Threat Dynamics in Sherwood charges $5 inspection fee for everything you bring. Decent rentals but light in the revolver department. If I bring my own targets and don't rent a gun, I get out of there for $30.

If you wind up going with an option that makes you buy their ammo - the Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas is a good range. Good selection in rental guns. No stupid 50' target rule. Downside is that public walk in range times are limited - the range is a joint venture between the community college and the clackamas co. sheriff - the cop side is where they get to do all the fun stuff...

The thing I like about PSTC - they don't have (or didn't, the last time I was there) any stupid slow-fire only rules. They used to have a full auto rental gun, hard to slow fire that one :rolleyes: so you can practice controlled pairs, double taps, etc.

As for Johnson Creek - I've not been there since the new owners took it over. Unless there were major renovations and improvements to the ventilation system - I'd pass. I never walked out of that place without a very metalic taste in my mouth - even wearing a face mask. Also - unless other members were there to rat you out - it was a key code entry, unmanned facility. The 50 foot rule wasn't strictly enforced... I shot the DPSST qualifier course there a few times and we had every range bay shooting at distances from 3 to 50 feet, and there certainly were no range masters there complaining about the distances shot.

The neighborhood it resides is wasn't the nicest around either. Back in the day it was "felony flats adjacent." There's better ranges out there for sure.

Otherwise, yeah, we don't have many inexpensive, good places to shoot. They get you one way or another - and the county and city governments don't make it easy for new ranges to open. What they don't cause in headaches, liability lawyers make up for. At Tri-county for example, they have a "no muzzle above the berm" policy so good luck practicing your combative reloads.

Driving out to the woods has, for me and mine, been the least expensive option and gives the most freedom in how and what we shoot - but mother nature and the people running ODF are conspiring to put a stop to that too :(

I totally agree that good ranges are hard to find here. PSTC is the best for handguns, but you have to buy their ammo. At least you can quick-fire even up to mag dumps, though they will keep an eye on whether you are safe about it.

Here's my big whine: I can't draw from a holster anywhere. First round hits from a holster is where I most want to hone my skills. For holster work, one has to go out into the woods somewhere. Very annoying.

Apparently, though, if you take a couple of training classes through the sheriff's office at the Clackamas Public Safety Training Center, you'll be able to gain access to the fun range side where there are very few restrictions besides waiting for an open time slot when the cops aren't shooting. I'm looking into that option, but we're talking $400 of classes...

I totally agree that good ranges are hard to find here. PSTC is the best for handguns, but you have to buy their ammo. At least you can quick-fire even up to mag dumps, though they will keep an eye on whether you are safe about it.

Here's my big whine: I can't draw from a holster anywhere. First round hits from a holster is where I most want to hone my skills. For holster work, one has to go out into the woods somewhere. Very annoying.

Apparently, though, if you take a couple of training classes through the sheriff's office at the Clackamas Public Safety Training Center, you'll be able to gain access to the fun range side where there are very few restrictions besides waiting for an open time slot when the cops aren't shooting. I'm looking into that option, but we're talking $400 of classes...

You can do that on 2 of the ranges at DRRC - Dynamic and the Tactical Shotgun Bay (which can be used for handguns too), as long as you follow the rules. It's nice to be able to draw from a holster and fire. And $400 would buy you into at least 2 years worth of membership including initiation fees. A bit of a drive, but maybe worth it. Also not likely to be as crowded as TVGC or any of the nicer indoor ranges inside Portland.

For me out here on the east side, DRRC is actually close to me. But I've just always been too cheap to pony up for a membership there.

I totally agree, though, that a club is the best bet for lots of reasons.

For me out here on the east side, DRRC is actually close to me. But I've just always been too cheap to pony up for a membership there.

I totally agree, though, that a club is the best bet for lots of reasons.

It's not cheap to join with the initiation ($330 for the first year), but considering it's only $175 per year for the 2nd and 3rd year, then drops to $150/yr after that, it's really a good deal. I joined Johnson Creek first, but was just bummed about the restrictions, I finally bit the bullet and went with DRRC. I recall that JCGC was around $125 a year and offered far less. Yeah, that initial fee is a bit, but I just renewed for my 2nd year and I'm glad I did it. It really is a great range with some great folks out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top