Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portland Flugtag 2015

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by teflon97239, Aug 3, 2015.

1. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

The trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.

I tend to play devil's advocate and consider both sides in any controversy, so I'm not sure exactly how I feel about how/why the Flugtag came to an end yesterday.

Boaters, skipper of the Spirit, USCG, Rules of the Road, sense of entitlement, media coverage, people who traveled to attend... and probably lots more to consider.

Did anyone here actually go? I'm glad as hell I wasn't there in any capacity since one thing I know for sure is that I dislike crowds more and more with every passing year.

flug%20tag_zpszswcfpat.jpg

Barefoot African likes this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Red Bull tastes like vomit. people are pretty weird

Dyjital likes this.
  3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

The channel has to be kept open, the river has a current and most boats can't steer without moving including the Portland Spirit. The Spirit cannot stop and wait for someone to pull up anchor. If it stop, the current begins moving it and may move it somewhere the captain doesn't want it to go. Large boats have to remain under power to safety maneuver, which is the point of the regulations stating the channel has to be kept open. Don't anchor in the channel and you won't have any problems.

nehalemguy, solv3nt, BDA.45 and 2 others like this.
  4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looks like a normal weekend Springer fishing up near Oregon City.

v0lcom13sn0w, swoop and teflon97239 like this.
  5. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

Portland hipsters traded in bicycles for kayaks but brought the attitude with them.

IheartSig likes this.
  6. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

It's a pretty stupid event IMO!
    But then I think hanging suspended from a bridge trying to stop a 300' ship is kinda stupid too. ;)

7. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

For all those trying to keep Portland "weird". Congratulations to a job well done.

8. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

This should have been addressed buy the event organizers and was not. They had no choice but to stop it once so many boats showed up with no organized mooring. Very poor planning.

9. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

My issue with the whole deal was the Portland Spirit escalated things when they didn't need to. Reasonably, the dinner cruise could have cancelled that evening, explained why to customers, and dealt with the issues in a responsible way. Telling customers it was about the unsafe conditions due to the Flugtag would have solved 99% of the complaints against them, people would have been pissed at the Flugtag. Instead you have some jackass campaign who decides he is going to show these tiny boats who's boss and puts a lot of people in danger. IMO, his behavior was reckless.

While I agree that the smaller boaters were breaking the law, I don't think the Captain of the Portland Spirit made decisions in keeping with maritime safety of his or others' vessels.

10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Portland Spirit could have traveled upriver to Oregon City that day.

11. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Or, if boaters would have followed the rules of the river and not blocked the channel, this would be a non issue. Portland Spirit, like all other boats have a right to use the channel as passage, not parking.

This whole "I am special and the rules don't apply to me" BS is getting more and more what Portland is about. "We are all special snowflakes and can do what we want. Now where's my grass fed chia tea soy latte with guilt free soy sticks and participation trophy?"

12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

You seen one retard try to fly a brick off a pier, you seen 'em all.

albin25 likes this.
  13. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

That's right pardon the lawbreakers and blame the law abiding.