JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PORTLAND -- A man fatally shot by Portland police officers Friday was brandishing a “replica handgun that looks and feels like a real firearm” at the time, police said.

<broken link removed>

at least 15 shots fired..A little excessive for a replica.

PORTLAND -- A man fatally shot by Portland police officers Friday was brandishing a “replica handgun that looks and feels like a real firearm” at the time, police said.

<broken link removed>

Want to clue us in as to how they are supposed to know it's a replica prior to shooting? :huh:

I've gotta disagree with your implication pokerace...you're WAAAAAAAY off base here...so what if it was only a replica? It looks just like a real gun, how were the cops supposed to tell the difference? If you're brandishing something that looks identical to a real gun at the cops, you fully deserve to get a terminal case of lead poisoning.

A hose nozzle is one thing..

This was a replica FIREARM.. Police recognized it as a FIREARM and likely acted appropriately to the situation.

Unlike the police who have a hard time recognizing a deadly hose nozzle.. :s0131:

Want to clue us in as to how they are supposed to know it's a replica prior to shooting? :huh:
Yeah... no disrespect Pokerace, but, I mean, if one of us with a CHL was confronted in a threatening way by somebody with (what turns out to be ) a replica, when we'd have to make a split-second decision, what would be our reaction? I think I'd draw & fire. I hope I never have to face such a situation for real, of course.

And 15 shots from 2 officers... I didn't see in the text story or the video where that is mentioned? (Please correct me if I just missed it.) Ah, I just this second heard on the radio that a neighbor who snapped a post-incident pic said he could count at least 11 casings. Not to nit-pick, but I reckon the officers are trained to shoot until they feel the threatening person is no longer a threat. Again, a split-second decision. I know that even with my limited experience and Parkinson's, I'd be capable of firing half that number of rounds in a very short period of time... The video does mention that the suspect had been battling drug and alcohol problems, and both 911 calls mentioned that he was (apparently) drunk. Maybe 'suicide by cop'? *sigh* A rotten situation in any case.

The sad thing about this story is the officers have to live with the fact they killed a man with a replica pistol.
I would have done the same if someone pointed that pistol at me.
My hart goes out to these officers.

this is isn't bad as water nozzle.

It was Air soft GUN that looks almost like Real gun.

Just that people think officers are trigger happy or something negative due to 15 round on one guy. Only exception would be if 15 officers were there.

<broken link removed>

You want to explain how you tell between a crazy with a replica and a crazy with a real gun? At night, after one altercation in that bubblegumhole of a neighborhood?

The sad thing about this story is the officers have to live with the fact they killed a man with a replica pistol.
I would have done the same if someone pointed that pistol at me.
My hart goes out to these officers.
For real. A rotten situation. And if somebody confronts police with a replica-- heck, if I confronted an officer with a replica (of course I wouldn't!!), I'd expect it to be the last moment of my life...

The guy was apparently drunk, but he did what he did. I really feel for the officers. Nobody rational person WANTS to kill a person.

It is unfortunate that the cops did not use their X-ray vision to see that the firearm was merely made of plastic...

I'm sure each one of us here could have coolly incapacitated the threat with one well-placed shot to the hand wielding the aforementioned 'replica' firearm.

Keith

Well some of the toy guns would make me want to shoot a guy pointing it at me.
They look pretty real.
If there are cops around,just drop it and lay on the ground.

Not your style? Take the results of your ignorance.

With the info that we have, I'd say it was a good shoot. Look's like the guy just wanted to check out, and didn't have a real gun, bridge, or overpass handy..sad.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top