Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Portland cops here we go again

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pokerace, Dec 17, 2010.

1. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

2. itgoesboom

itgoesboom Hillsboro Member

3. Artilleryman

Artilleryman Originally from the central midwest but have reloc Active Member

I've gotta disagree with your implication pokerace...you're WAAAAAAAY off base here...so what if it was only a replica? It looks just like a real gun, how were the cops supposed to tell the difference? If you're brandishing something that looks identical to a real gun at the cops, you fully deserve to get a terminal case of lead poisoning.

4. skywag

skywag On the Columbia River Active Member

Good. Another drunken SOB off the streets.

What was the idiot thinking?

5. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Woodburn Oregon Active Member

A hose nozzle is one thing..

This was a replica FIREARM.. Police recognized it as a FIREARM and likely acted appropriately to the situation.

Unlike the police who have a hard time recognizing a deadly hose nozzle.. :paranoid:

6. JohnWayne

JohnWayne USA Member

Not excessive if that is what it took to stop the threat the officers perceived.

7. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I'd have shot him too.

8. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Gene Pool 1 Idiots 0

9. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

Yeah... no disrespect Pokerace, but, I mean, if one of us with a CHL was confronted in a threatening way by somebody with (what turns out to be ) a replica, when we'd have to make a split-second decision, what would be our reaction? I think I'd draw & fire. I hope I never have to face such a situation for real, of course.

And 15 shots from 2 officers... I didn't see in the text story or the video where that is mentioned? (Please correct me if I just missed it.) Ah, I just this second heard on the radio that a neighbor who snapped a post-incident pic said he could count at least 11 casings. Not to nit-pick, but I reckon the officers are trained to shoot until they feel the threatening person is no longer a threat. Again, a split-second decision. I know that even with my limited experience and Parkinson's, I'd be capable of firing half that number of rounds in a very short period of time... The video does mention that the suspect had been battling drug and alcohol problems, and both 911 calls mentioned that he was (apparently) drunk. Maybe 'suicide by cop'? *sigh* A rotten situation in any case.

10. husker

husker portland Active Member

The sad thing about this story is the officers have to live with the fact they killed a man with a replica pistol.
    I would have done the same if someone pointed that pistol at me.
    My hart goes out to these officers.

11. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Seems like a reasonable shoot to me too.

12. powermad

powermad Portland Active Member

Oh good grief. :nuts:

So what did the chimo Adams say they should have done?

13. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

this is isn't bad as water nozzle.

It was Air soft GUN that looks almost like Real gun.

Just that people think officers are trigger happy or something negative due to 15 round on one guy. Only exception would be if 15 officers were there.

14. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Woodburn Oregon Active Member

I have an airsoft that from 10 feet and typical observation.. You'd have a hard time telling it was not a real Beretta 92FS.

I can certainly understand how/why the police observed what they did.

15. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

You want to explain how you tell between a crazy with a replica and a crazy with a real gun? At night, after one altercation in that bubblegumhole of a neighborhood?

16. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

For real. A rotten situation. And if somebody confronts police with a replica-- heck, if I confronted an officer with a replica (of course I wouldn't!!), I'd expect it to be the last moment of my life...

The guy was apparently drunk, but he did what he did. I really feel for the officers. Nobody rational person WANTS to kill a person.

17. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate that the cops did not use their X-ray vision to see that the firearm was merely made of plastic...

I'm sure each one of us here could have coolly incapacitated the threat with one well-placed shot to the hand wielding the aforementioned 'replica' firearm.

Keith

18. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well some of the toy guns would make me want to shoot a guy pointing it at me.
    They look pretty real.
    If there are cops around,just drop it and lay on the ground.

Not your style? Take the results of your ignorance.

20. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

With the info that we have, I'd say it was a good shoot. Look's like the guy just wanted to check out, and didn't have a real gun, bridge, or overpass handy..sad.