JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What... no not at all. You can have a gun in Oregon with a CHL at any school function. You cannot pick up or drop off mail at the post office you cant even have it in your car on the property if the parking lot is part of the property. Posts offices are federally owned.

I did a little "google-fu" and found exactly why I thought what I did, and Koda is correct.

Anything I say might be somewhat incriminating, so I'll decline any further comment. ;)

So, lets say the wife and I drive over to the Delta Park MAX park and ride, head to Moda center for a home show, does my Oregon non-res CHL lose steam at these places? I'm talking concealed, not open carry.

Last Edited:
So, lets say the wife and I drive over to the Delta Park MAX park and ride, head to Moda center for a home show, does my Oregon non-res CHL lose steam at these places? I'm talking concealed, not open carry.

Yes, and No. Mostly no. For people who have an Oregon CHL, there is no prohibition in carrying a gun while driving your car or riding the MAX. There is also no legal prohibition for carrying your gun on private property. However, because the Moda Center is private property and has policies forbidding firearms on their property, you are potentially subject to being hit with a "trespass" if they catch you with your gun while on property and you fail to leave immediately. And if that happens, you will be awarded bonus points because you had a gun while trespassing.

In my non-lawyer opinion, avoiding the trespass is easy if you get your butt off the premises immediately if/when confronted. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not make a fuss over your 2nd Amendment rights. Make sense?

Oregon Criminal Trespass Law | First and Second Degree | ORS 164.245, 164.255
ORS 164.255 Criminal trespass in the first degree (Criminal Trespass I)
ORS 164.245 Criminal trespass in the second degree (Criminal Trespass II)
ORS 164.265 Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm

Last Edited:
Yes, and No. Mostly no. For people who have an Oregon CHL, there is no prohibition in carrying a gun while driving your car or riding the MAX. There is also no legal prohibition for carrying your gun on private property. However, because the Moda Center is private property and has policies forbidding firearms on their property, you are potentially subject to being hit with a "trespass" if they catch you with your gun while on property and fail to leave immediately. And if you do, you will be awarded bonus points because you had a gun while trespassing. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense orygunmike, thank you. I respect other's property rights which is why I posed the question. If we drove to Moda I could go lock it up in my car safe and attend the show; riding MAX would mean a no-show, something I'm fairly certain Mrs. Mutt would not find amusing :(

The problem with the Moda center is its hit and miss if they wand or metal detect. The higher profile event or more popular celibrity (concert etc.) the higher chances of being patted down or wanded.

This means riding the MAX to the show means leaving it at home....

The problem with the Moda center is its hit and miss if they wand or metal detect. The higher profile event or more popular celibrity (concert etc.) the higher chances of being patted down or wanded.

This means riding the MAX to the show means leaving it at home....

I just went to an event 2 weeks ago at the Moda center - a Disney thing for the kiddo. We got run through a metal detector and I got wanded as well. I knew that was likely, so I didn't carry - also had to give up on carrying a knife or pepper spray for backup. That said, I did have some options not far from me in the car, though that requires getting to the car to use them. Part of the reason I rarely ever go to such events at such locations.

I just went to an event 2 weeks ago at the Moda center - a Disney thing for the kiddo. We got run through a metal detector and I got wanded as well. I knew that was likely, so I didn't carry - also had to give up on carrying a knife or pepper spray for backup. That said, I did have some options not far from me in the car, though that requires getting to the car to use them. Part of the reason I rarely ever go to such events at such locations.

Thats what I mean... Its hit and miss, but it also sounds inconsistent....
Metal detector at a disney show for kids, but ive been to concerts there where all they did was look in my wifes purse.

Thats what I mean... Its hit and miss, but it also sounds inconsistent....
Metal detector at a disney show for kids, but ive been to concerts there where all they did was look in my wifes purse.

We went to see the Cirque du Soleil late last year in their tent at the Expo center. I carried in that venue, no problem - they didn't even look in the wife's purse. You're right though, it's hard to know how to prepare for each venue as it can seem to change on a whim. I plan to go prepared and keep a secured vault in the car in the event I have to disarm.

I'll add that if you conceal carry in Portland and are attacked, wait until after you are stabbed or shot before drawing your firearm. Otherwise you will be arrested for some 20 odd trumped(heh) up charges for illegally using a firearm. /sarcasm

Best to avoid Portland completely

I'll add that if you conceal carry in Portland and are attacked, wait until after you are stabbed or shot before drawing your firearm. Otherwise you will be arrested for some 20 odd trumped(heh) up charges for illegally using a firearm. /sarcasm

Best to avoid Portland completely

I wish I could, but my job is there - may be moving our office to a location outside of PDX in the next year or so - fingers crossed that they head south a bit. When I'm not at work though, I'm away from PDX except when absolutely necessary.

As a WA resident there is so much to enjoy in OR, and in Portland, it's really not a burden to keep myself in line with the laws and rules when I visit, I am after all, a visitor. The Columbia Co. Sheriff saw fit to issue me a carry permit, my plan is that he'll never regret that decision.

Never thought I'd quote my dear Mom but, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top