JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Perhaps I've been scarred by my experiences on the west side, in the pearl, and down on the PSU campus. The majority of people that I know down in those regions are quite anti-gun. It's good to know that people here don't feel the same about the rest of the city.

I'l keep that in mind, and I definitely appreciate the hospitality. Do you have any recommendations? It is indeed quite "phony" up here sometimes. It must be the altitude, both mentally and physically, of course.

Some one I met on the Sigforums lives in the pearl, in a condo, and he is seriously armed to the teeth! :) He told me that a large percentage of the men in his condo all went on AR buying sprees before Obama got elected -- so, there are pro-gun folks here. Now, at PSU...well...good luck! :)

Places you might enjoy:

Awesome burgers/beer: "Pause" on Interstate near Alberta. Totally low key, neighborhood place.

For an awesome dose of "old school" Portland, go here:
Yorgo's at 5421 N Greeley Ave
It you go there at happy hour you are likely to see some "old fart" locals sitting at the bar drink PBR on draft. Often big pickups in the parking lot -- a good sign.

If you want absolutely fantastic seafood, bargain prices, family run/owned and great service:
The Fishwife 5328 North Lombard Street

This is our favorite place to eat in Portland -- it has been there for ages, and you will not feel embarrassed walking in wearing boots and flannel. Really can not say enough about the place. Be sure to try the clam chowder!

Generally, avoid anything in the Pearl, pretty much anything on Mississippi, and lots of places out on East Alberta. Generally still "old school" most places in St. Johns, and N. Portland still has lots of places that are not overly gentrified.

Anyhow, don't let the hippies get to you and if so, ping me -- I'll take you shooting with my buddies!

Cheers,
DJM

First of all, I would like to say that brings back some memorys.... I grew up in NoPo. My dad used to go to Yorgo's all the time for their Biscuits and Gravy... But I digress...

What I would like to know, is re: these so called "Gun Crime Free Zones" or whatever they're going to call them.

Did the C.O.P. already try this w/ both drugs and prostitutes and weren't they both times deemed unconstitutional? Just curious... (I tried googling but I'm tired and couldn't find the links I was going for)

Really what it boils down to is fluff for the the uber-libs to get all excited about their "Progressive" Mayor tackling the "Gun" problem that "plagues" Portland. Instead of merely enforcing the legal laws already on the books, they enact retarded city codes that will get thrown out in the first court case. And while I admit that a majority of these wont affect me or anyone I know, as they are aimed at "Prior" offenders.... The conspiracy theorist in me cant help but believe that this is but the first step....

(P.S. Sorry about all the quotes... I was feeling very "Quotey" today.

djm68 said:
Come down to my area of town and maybe you feel a different vibe -- we can drop by one of the local taverns where the "old timers" hang out. Beers are on me!

Cheers,
DJM

Well, you count me in for "free beer." :p:p

I really don't know many conservative/pro-gun people in Portland. I feel way too far right for this town. I am stuck in Portland, but I plan on leaving Oregon sooner or later. I've been in this state for 18 years, but I have seen it go down the tubes as more Californians and liberals move here, as well as all the drug gangs and thugs with them. Well, I don't know too many people in Portland anymore. The freak factor tends to scare me away from the city. When I was young I was involved in the hippy scene and lived in Eugene. I can vouch that there is many hippies in this state who are rednecks with tye-died shirts and are quite gun-saavy. However, these homegrown hippies are being replaced by the more radical, uptight communist-like urban hippy/yuppies from the big cities, such as San Fran and New York. I am in Beaverton now, which is really becoming more like a Californian suburb all the time. We lack hippies out here. It's still quite normal here, which can be boring; but at least its not so WEIRD :s0114: ...

I guess Sam Adams wouldn't support any legislation that would increase punishments for people who are illegally involved with underage children. That would invade his own boundaries. Of course, this guy who is a known Pedo, has the nerve to increase gun restrictions that will affect law abiding citizens and help empower the ever-growing criminal element that never takes any heed to gun laws.

djm68 said:
Some of those "hippies" that seem annoying, and you (and I) might assume are "liberals" might surprise you. Many are quite disgusted with both dems and repubs and are far more libertarian leaning, and *many* are gun owners and pro-gun.
(insert by me: also djm68's the offer of beer & shootin' :), 2nd pitcher is on me )
Perhaps I've been scarred by my experiences on the west side, in the pearl, and down on the PSU campus. The majority of people that I know down in those regions are quite anti-gun. It's good to know that people here don't feel the same about the rest of the city.
I'l keep that in mind, and I definitely appreciate the hospitality. Do you have any recommendations? It is indeed quite "phony" up here sometimes. It must be the altitude, both mentally and physically, of course.
I live in beautiful 'Felony Flats' in SE right along the Milwaukee border. Some 'chemists' doing business in the neighborhood, and some eejit fired off 6 rounds in the middle of the night a few days ago, probably at the voices in his head... My wife and I are maybe what y'd call 'progressive libertarians' though I never take offense to 'libtard' :s0114: We all likely have much more in common than not. We're definitely on the same page re: 2A rights. We strongly support 2A rights and all our Constitutional rights, and I carry every day, everywhere. And for sure, we've a ton of friends & neighbors both waaay left or right of us politically that have a whole lot more firearms & experience than we do... though we're working on it :D . I like living in a town where my gun owning neighbors and friends are blue collar, white collar, self-employed, active duty, Vets, civilian, punk, gay, hippie, and any imaginable mix of all or none of those. And I do see these proposals from the Mayor's commission-- if enacted-- will quickly shatter in court on constitutional grounds.

I don't drink beer anymore myself, but for sure the 2nd pitcher is on me!

Last Edited:
Some one I met on the Sigforums lives in the pearl, in a condo, and he is seriously armed to the teeth! :) He told me that a large percentage of the men in his condo all went on AR buying sprees before Obama got elected -- so, there are pro-gun folks here. Now, at PSU...well...good luck! :)

Places you might enjoy:

Awesome burgers/beer: "Pause" on Interstate near Alberta. Totally low key, neighborhood place.

For an awesome dose of "old school" Portland, go here:
Yorgo's at 5421 N Greeley Ave
It you go there at happy hour you are likely to see some "old fart" locals sitting at the bar drink PBR on draft. Often big pickups in the parking lot -- a good sign.

If you want absolutely fantastic seafood, bargain prices, family run/owned and great service:
The Fishwife 5328 North Lombard Street

This is our favorite place to eat in Portland -- it has been there for ages, and you will not feel embarrassed walking in wearing boots and flannel. Really can not say enough about the place. Be sure to try the clam chowder!

Generally, avoid anything in the Pearl, pretty much anything on Mississippi, and lots of places out on East Alberta. Generally still "old school" most places in St. Johns, and N. Portland still has lots of places that are not overly gentrified.

Anyhow, don't let the hippies get to you and if so, ping me -- I'll take you shooting with my buddies!

Cheers,
DJM

Yorgo's is closed.

First I have to thank djm68 for helping me feel better with his optimism about PDX. I feel very much like 4Freedom, especially since my girlfriend also feels like almost everyone in NE PDX is a freak. Personally, I would like to see our mayor arrested not only because he's already broken the law, but for wasting our money on insignificant, but expensive, bicycle pet projects ($500,000 for painting bicycle symbols on the road surface!) and then turning around and charging us for cleaning leaves from city streets. But I'm digressing...

As I read the draft for Adams' insane rules, there are a few things I notice that will help me sleep better at night:

1. In proposal 1, Moron Adams is targeting juveniles, when last I checked, juveniles couldn't posses guns anyway. Just another boneheaded rule.

2. In proposal 2, Moron Adams targets gun owners for "Failure to Control Access to Firearm by a Child", but this law doesn't apply to me if the kid breaks into my home or gun safe. I don't have kids in my home, so I can leave all my guns on my living room floor and my front door unlocked and if some kid trespasses (illegal entry) and steals one, the law can't pursue me. Obviously, all my guns are locked away except for the one on my side, but I'm just highlighting a powerful limit of the law.

3. In proposal 3, theoretically I could not know that a gun was stolen out of my safe for years. Practically, I can't be away from my guns that long, but legally, if the gun wasn't in a place that I access regularly, how can they prove I knew the gun was or wasn't stolen?

4. In proposal 4, this rule doesn't apply to CHL holders and people going to and from a target range, among other things. In fact, if I have a CHL, I don't even have to allow a Portland officer to inspect or even know the existence of my gun.

5. As for proposal 5, this one is so confusing and so full of loopholes, I have no idea how it could actually be enforced.

Basically, as a law abiding CHL holder, none of these rules apply to me, and more than likely will be used by the very few corrupt Portland police to harass black kids in North and NE PDX. Oh yeah! I feel safer already! :s0129:

Last Edited:
I didn't know what Nambla was, so I had to look it up. Saw this in Wikipedia, "As of 2005 a newspaper report stated that NAMBLA was based in New York and San Francisco, and that it held an annual gathering in New York City"

Now why is that this kind of deviance always end's up originating in big cities like New York and San Francisco?

I'm pretty sure I want to retire in Boise, maybe Flagstaff...

(insert by me: also djm68's the offer of beer & shootin' :), 2nd pitcher is on me )

I live in beautiful 'Felony Flats' in SE right along the Milwaukee border. Some 'chemists' doing business in the neighborhood, and some eejit fired off 6 rounds in the middle of the night a few days ago, probably at the voices in his head... My wife and I are maybe what y'd call 'progressive libertarians' though I never take offense to 'libtard' :s0114: We all likely have much more in common than not. We're definitely on the same page re: 2A rights. We strongly support 2A rights and all our Constitutional rights, and I carry every day, everywhere. And for sure, we've a ton of friends & neighbors both waaay left or right of us politically that have a whole lot more firearms & experience than we do... though we're working on it :D . I like living in a town where my gun owning neighbors and friends are blue collar, white collar, self-employed, active duty, Vets, civilian, punk, gay, hippie, and any imaginable mix of all or none of those. And I do see these proposals from the Mayor's commission-- if enacted-- will quickly shatter in court on constitutional grounds.

I don't drink beer anymore myself, but for sure the 2nd pitcher is on me!

A shout out from a new Woodstock neighborhood resident!

Hey MikeE! Welcome to the DMZ:D And I'm down to buy that pitcher (or round of coffee or whatev) if others here wanna hang out here in the SE too. Dang Mike, let's go shoot!
AH RIGHT, the topic of the thread- on the mayor's commission proposals, I had a long conversation with some non-gun owning, verrry liberal friends who think these proposals are just not smart, not workable, and not constitutional.

Its just another warm-and-fuzzy "feel good" law that serves no purpose other than to allow those involved in its creation to pat one another on the back and pretend that they are actually "doing something" about a problem.

Adams is well aware of the Golden Rule of Politics....its not what you accomplish that gets you reelected, it how good you look to the media pretending to accomplish it.

I too was a Woodstock neighborhood resident (72nd/Flavel area) about 12 years ago. It was pretty bad back then with the garbage. I remember there was syringes and garbage all over the streets. I also had my car stolen while I was living there. However, I did take a ride through the Flats a week ago and it seems they got rid of a lot of the garbage. Actually, it looks nicer around there now then about a decade ago. I don't believe the crime has decreased there though. Another thing I missed was the occasional gun shots I heard at night and those really loud high-speed car chases. You would think the president was visiting with the large number of police cars that would be screaming down 82nd Ave at night.

I just got back from speaking before the city council this afternoon. While most others testifying were critical of the Adams proposals, generally for their fear of increasing racial profiling, I was the only one coming from an explicitly pro-2A direction. Afterwards, several of the North Portland community activists came over and thanked me for adding a much needed perspective. I also had a brief polite discussion with a member of OregonCeaseFire and at the end of the evening Randy Leonard even gave me a shout out.
Here's the Oregonian article: Portland Council holds hearing on Mayor Sam Adam's proposed gun control laws | OregonLive.com

Here's the basic text of what I said: Good afternoon, I am Ross Eliot, a co-consul of the Portland Pink Pistols, our chapter of the national gay gun club and publisher of American Gun Culture Report, a locally based counter culture gun politics magazine. That makes me more or less a member of the group Senator Ginny Burdick was mentioning earlier: the pro-gun lobby. Therefore, I'd like to begin with an apology. Gun control is always a heated social issue but one which doesn't require abandoning all manners and civility. I am aware that many people holding similar political positions to myself regarding firearms have forgotten this and been guilty of embarrassingly hostile rhetoric which does not help in representing the pro-2nd Amendment community. I have been a public 2nd Amendment advocate for many years now around many liberal and leftist individuals and organizations who did not always see eye to eye with me on gun issues but I have always been treated with the utmost respect nevertheless. I wish this could be more of a two way street.

I am here today because I object to Mayor Adams gun control proposals as they are distractions from any root causes of crime and violence. We were all shown some rather sensational looking statistics earlier, despite the fact it is widely acknowledged that violent crime in America is at a low unseen since the late 1940s. Under such conditions it is offensive that we spend time here today debating what is in reality a minor issue while so many of our fellow citizens unable to find work are being turned out of their homes into the cold and rain.

I voted for Sam Adams because he portrayed himself as a political progressive and I had hoped that spirit would guide him while in office. However, gun control is not a progressive issue. It has historically been used in this country as a tool to keep minority communities of color as well as working class Americans from being able to defend themselves. The measures Mayor Adams proposes are essentially watered down versions of more strict gun bans which have been attempted in other cities. These have not only failed in keeping people safer, but increasingly found to be in violation of the US Constitution. That is not a path I want to see Portland taking.

The only places where people are able to live together in true civility is where significant social equality has been achieved. Instead of gun control, let's work for banker control. Instead of restricting the human right of self defense, let's restrict the numbers of people in our community going hungry. Instead of trying to curtail freedoms, let's open the windows and let in some air.

Thank you for your time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads