JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know if there are metal detectors or guards with wands at the Cirque de Soleil tent in Portland?

A few friends want me to go with them to see it, but I typically carry when I go to the ghetto (all of Portland).

Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are metal detectors or guards with wands at the Cirque de Soleil tent in Portland?

A few friends want me to go with them to see it, but I typically carry when I go to the ghetto (all of Portland).

Thanks!

All of Portland is not the ghetto, friend. Have you ever been to Newark, NJ, Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn, or New Orleans? Please.

Don't mean to get too testy with you about it, and by all means carry when you want to, but I had to say something...and I am not sure where they put the tent this time, but last time it was the south waterfront, which (contrary to the sound of it) is totally safe.

LOL, I live a couple blocks away from where the tents are (s. waterfront) and drive by them every day. It's the farthest thing from the ghetto. If I left my wallet out on the street, I'd probably get it in the mail. :D

I always laugh when people think there is a scary part of Portland. I grew up in north Portland and there isn't any part of Portland that scares me. There are some scary cities in the US but Portland doesn't even rank on any scale.

I always laugh when people think there is a scary part of Portland. I grew up in north Portland and there isn't any part of Portland that scares me. There are some scary cities in the US but Portland doesn't even rank on any scale.

+1

I would feel 100% comfortable walking on any street in Portland, even without a gun. There are streets in some cities I wouldn't go down even with a gun and vest. :D

Gotta agree with the OP. To people born in the country, all of Portland is a bit odd. Some is certainly ghetto. Others aren't bad. I was there the other night staying in a nice hotel downtown and was still listening to gunshots as I was trying to sleep.

Besides, I don't just carry in ghetto. I carry everywhere I legally can. Where are shootings? Not always in bad places. They're also places like churches, suburban malls, schools. Do you guys only carry in the "bad" areas of Portland?

Wow, was not expecting a full thread about Portland being safe or unsafe....

I do carry where I legally can - though I can't carry at work, so most days I don't carry. I feel less safe at night in an area than during the day - doesn't matter where I am.

I've walked through various parts of Portland at night, the Pearl, South Waterfront, the eastbank, etc - I've seen shady characters at all of those locations. Crime is everywhere.

I appreciate el_gringo_loco's response.

My advice regarding carrying at Cirque De Soleil would be definitely do NOT do it. Not the carrying pert...just DO NOT go see Cirque De Sleil. That is 3 hours of your life you will never get back...and about half way through I promise that you will consider using that gun on yourself. :)

My advice regarding carrying at Cirque De Soleil would be definitely do NOT do it. Not the carrying pert...just DO NOT go see Cirque De Sleil. That is 3 hours of your life you will never get back...and about half way through I promise that you will consider using that gun on yourself. :)

Believe me, if it weren't for the two extremely cute women asking me to go with them I would not even consider this :winkkiss:

Not Portland but still a good story.

About 4 years ago Lake Side Bicycle in Lake Oswego forgot to set the alarm AND forgot to lock the front door.

When the first employee arrive in the morning he found a bunch of pissed off customers waiting to pay for their items.

That shop has multiple 10,000 dollar bikes and lots of many thousand dollar custom customer bikes in the shop for servicing at any given time.

Nothing was missing, just some people bent out of shape because they had to wait to pay.

That's the kind of city I want to live in

Went last week Friday, NOT BY CHOICE, had no problem carrying my .40

and there are a couple places in Portland I wouldn't want to be without packing, most notably Felony Flats in SE which is the area between 82nd and 205.

I went the first year they came to town. I was carrying, but left it locked in the trunk when we arrived. I did NOT see any metal detectors, but that's been a few years back. I actually wouldn't mind going again, but even halfway decent tickets cost a lung.

Try that at some of the MAX stations and see how far you get. Actually, I feel safer walking the street than I do on MAX.

I ride the yellow line regularly and so does my wife (she works downtown in China Town). There's nothing scary about it but then again, we lived for most of our lives in proper, big cities so everyone has a different threshold for being afraid of "scary" bums I guess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top