1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Portland Area Smith to Cut & Recrown Barrel?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Will_Power, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Picking up a Tikka T3 in a few weeks and will be looking to get a smith to cut and recrown the barrel down to 20" for me.

Any recomendations?
  2. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Allison & Carey did a Bushmaster barrel for me. Shortened it 2" and recrowned with an 11 degree crown. I took it in in the morning and they called to say it was ready that afternoon. I think it was about $75. Very good results accuracy-wise.
    jbett98 likes this.
  3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There's a considerable wait for their services.
  4. jason e.

jason e. Member

h&k gun shop in forestgrove he's the best of the best
  5. BVB

BVB PDX Active Member

6. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Thanks for the recomendations, fellas. I'll follow up with Allison & Carey and the folks in Aloha.

Called him up yesterday. Didn't seem too interested in the job. Conversation went about exactly as this:

"Hi, I'm calling to see if you guys do minor gunsmithing work. I've a rifle that I need the barrel cut down and recrowned."

"... Well. Maybe. What kinda rifle you got?"

"It's a Tikka T3, so just a basic bolt action hunting rifle. Barrel is a light profile. "

"Well, we might be able to do that. Sure. I'd have to see if it fit. You want the barrel cut down?"

"Yes sir. I need it cut down to eighteen inches and given a recessed crown."

"... Great. I've just one last question, then. I know smiths are usually pretty busy. What kind of ballpark turnaround time would I be looking at?"

"...Well. I'd get to it whenever I could get to it. I get busy and I get interruptions, so..."

"I see. Well, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Have a good one."

Kind of a weird conversation.
  7. Tomoizle

Tomoizle Vancouver, Washington, United States Active Member

Allison and Carey will only thread barrel of they will put their muzzle brake on? They want $285 installed.
  8. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That sounds like him. That's just his personality. I accidentally called NICS "NCIS" when someone was waiting on a background check and he gave me a good ribbing on how he wasnt getting a background check from a naval lawyer.

He is an amazing fund of firearm knowledge. The gun stocks he has on the wall that he makes are works of beauty. He had a riffle for sale that he said he made in college (so it must have been 30-40 years old) that was just an amazing looking wood he got from Australia I think. I have not had him do any gunsmithing work but I was at his small shop for a few hours last weekend and probably 4-5 people came buy to drop off work for him. Sounds like he has a good base of customers that use him for all their work.