JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've sent messages to a couple of people on ar15.com. But the list I got there names from was a few years old. So I'll see what's up.
There is some interest over at AKfiles.com. It might be a more appropriate place to continue the dialog there. Not that I don't like NWF. But AKfiles is pretty specific to what we want to do.
note: I count a max of 12 interested parties between the two sites, which is probably about the largest we might want to go, depending on Britishbulldogs shop size (8-10 actual shows?). lurkers might want to let themselves be know if they don't want to be left out as things move forward!

Note: forgot to add, I have an air-compressor, bench top drill-press, small bench grinder (along with various hand tools). And if the party(ies?) doesn't happen till early July, I might just buy a 20-ton press from Harbor freight when they go on sale. Sometimes I just get in the mood to press and squash things :s0112:

Finally, does everyone have access to google docs or something like? I didn't know if it made sense to make a sheet with everyones skill/tool contribution so we don't miss something.

I know we have some takers here...
Lets set up a Portland (or near N. Oregon) Build party - The AK Files Forums
Im in, my OP with what I hope to do and have to offer

I know we have atleast 20+ people on here who build maybe people can help us small home apartment dwellers out!
I have 3-4 full kits, rivits on the way, if someone had flat bending jigs Id rather grab those then premade receivers.
I have the full AK machinist (member) full rivit jig (for all the rivits) I plan to get the alignment pliers on here for the trunnion holes and either do the tape method on a round or the no go guages. I was thinking anyone could use what I have and everyone could chip in 20-30$ and we could bring all of our own drill bits etc.
Its a long shot but who knows, wish I was in TX id be knocking down nalioths door.
ID be willing to help with anything I could. If not Ill keep building up my supplies til I can get a garage.
Thanks

Oh and I wouldnt be looking til early and or mid july to get this off the ground... I need to get receivers, or flats, and rivits... then Im gtg

Hey irierider, you still making those "I built this" shirts? I wear mine so much I may need to buy a few more!!!

EDIT - just checked AKfiles.....another order coming to you soon

Use caution with "Build Parties". Especially if the host is loaning tools or machinery. ATF already addressed this with the 80% receivers for AR's. Wouldn't put it past them to go after the "hosts" for operating an illegal gunsmithing or manufacturing facility.

May be fun but either do it quietly or be prepared for a potential "visit".

Use caution with "Build Parties". Especially if the host is loaning tools or machinery. ATF already addressed this with the 80% receivers for AR's. Wouldn't put it past them to go after the "hosts" for operating an illegal gunsmithing or manufacturing facility.

Well for the 80% flats/blanks, the owner would have to be the one operating the drill/shop press that brings it up to 100% status. Isn't that it?

Well for the 80% flats/blanks, the owner would have to be the one operating the drill/shop press that brings it up to 100% status. Isn't that it?

It's my understanding that the "owner" has to do 100% of the work themselves. That would mean that he/she would have to be competent to operate whatever machinery might be employed. Probably not a big deal if it was merely a drill press but some anal retentive ATF agent might take issue with someone assisting the "owner" while operating his "Bridgeport" or other "mill".

If there's a problem with any government agency or their "Minions" it's usually a pain in the @$$ type problem.

That's why I said "Use Caution". Perhaps a lot of caution when advertising the "build party".

I think I know the situation you are referring to. If I remember right; Down in S-California there was an AR15 80% receiver manufacturer who was hosting/setting up build parties for a fee.
They would setup the CNC machines and do all the programming so the customer (usually with no CNC experience, much less any other tool experience) only had to push a "start" button. The 80% receiver manufacturer was not licensed to manufacturer firearms. In short, they got busted for manufacturing 100% receivers for profit without a license as the customer hands-on was a minimum.

From what I've seen so far, I don't think that will be the case with the AK's as there is so much hands-on with tools. But it is still good to keep it in mind as I'm sure there is a "news journalist" who would like to do a story, or someone who is constantly asking others to do the work for them.

P.S. is there a source for 80% Ak milled receivers?

I think I know the situation you are referring to. If I remember right; Down in S-California there was an AR15 80% receiver manufacturer who was hosting/setting up build parties for a fee.
They would setup the CNC machines and do all the programming so the customer (usually with no CNC experience, much less any other tool experience) only had to push a "start" button. The 80% receiver manufacturer was not licensed to manufacturer firearms. In short, they got busted for manufacturing 100% receivers for profit without a license as the customer hands-on was a minimum.
-------snip--------

Would that be Ares Armor?

If this is still going on, I was curious if anybody had a press for the barrels.

While I'm considering doing a 74 build, I really want to swap barrels on my 47 with a threaded one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top