JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please count me for "1" to participate.

I'm still looking/figuring out which kit/parts/barrel to purchase, and if it will be a 47 or 74 (or both? :)) so I hope the actual build wouldn't be for a couple weeks.

Note: To figure in the schedule, there is a gun show at Expo on June 7-8-9 for any last minute parts/accessories that might be needed.

That was the idea. Get our heads together, work out what skills we need to complete the builds and assess who in the group is best suited to offer expertise in that subject. Also make a list of tooling required whilst seeing what we had between us.

To be honest I'm a beginner with nothing but a workshop, it looks like everybody else is a beginner as well so it might not get off the ground but I would still be up for meeting as long as we get at least 2 or 3 people confirm ahead of time.

sorry for my lack of contribution to the brainstorming. i'm game for meeting on saturday.

my priorities:
*figure out the tooling and space situation.
*go over the legality of building in a group setting. yes, it is legal to build for personal use--so long as the builder is not a "prohibited person." however, within a "build party" setting there are certain steps in the build process that require strict adherence to the law (i stress this, particularly, in case there is a "mole" in attendance--like in the video & article posted on the first page of this thread).

Please count me for "1" to participate.

I'm still looking/figuring out which kit/parts/barrel to purchase, and if it will be a 47 or 74 (or both? :)) so I hope the actual build wouldn't be for a couple weeks.

Note: To figure in the schedule, there is a gun show at Expo on June 7-8-9 for any last minute parts/accessories that might be needed.

I guess I missed the secret handshake or such :p
I would also like to participate.

Update guys. I can't make today as my wife has arranged a birthday lunch for me (36 tomorro) but I still want to offer my workshop to the group. Guys, can I ask that you give me an update after you meet as to how viable it is. I can offer the following:

1, a large clean and dry workshop with light and power
2, basic hand tools
3, battery powered power tools
4, bench grinder

In addition to that I have basic mechanical skills in terms of fitting etc. I have little knowledge of the self build process but I don't find things like this intimidating. I have the funds available to buy a kit as soon as the group wants to pull the trigger.

Sorry further late change of plans but its out of my control. Lets keep momentum going and know that I'm still game for this to happen.

Will be leaving in a few minutes. I guess I'll bring my own flag-standard (shotgun news) for us to rally around. I'll also be wearing a light-tan baseball cap with a yellow "cable Net" logo on the front.
Hope to see some people there!

FYO: Harbor Freight has a 20-ton press on sale for $160 in a flyer I got yesterday. With a 20% off coupon, that would bring it to only about $130.

Ok. A total of three showed up at the table. We had a nice chat, but in the end we were all in the same boat: motivated to do it, but lacking the experience to move forward to get er done. So things are looking a bit on thin ice right now.

I did see over on ar15.com that there might be some other individuals that might be willing to lend/rend some equipment and their time who have done it before. I guess I'll try and reach out to them.
In the mean time, is there still interest?

I would be interested as well. Complete novice here so I do not have anything to add. Still trying to get my hands on a kit, as what I am after is getting harder to find. I just came across this thread tonight so I missed out on the meet. I'll keep tabs on how this progresses. Things to consider are what kind of receivers everyone is planning on using. I'll be using an 80% receiver flat. So that will require bending, some drilling, and full heat treating. Anyone using a bent 80% will still need to heat treat the holes. And of course the 100% guys will have the least amount of work. There is a guy on AKFiles who sells a great riveting jig for a decent amount for anyone looking to get into the tools required for this task.

I think this is a great write-up to walk you through the process.

http://www.dentontactical.com/index.php?p=AK_Parts_Kit_Build

I would be interested as well. Complete novice here so I do not have anything to add. Still trying to get my hands on a kit, as what I am after is getting harder to find. I just came across this thread tonight so I missed out on the meet. I'll keep tabs on how this progresses. Things to consider are what kind of receivers everyone is planning on using. I'll be using an 80% receiver flat. So that will require bending, some drilling, and full heat treating. Anyone using a bent 80% will still need to heat treat the holes. And of course the 100% guys will have the least amount of work. There is a guy on AKFiles who sells a great riveting jig for a decent amount for anyone looking to get into the tools required for this task.

I think this is a great write-up to walk you through the process.

Denton Tactical: AK Parts Kit Build

there are still maadi parts kits available, through many different sources (such as atlanticfirearms). look up "maadi parts kit" on google. you're probably looking at under $400 for the kit (less barrel and receiver). i think apex still has romanian underfolder kits available. if you're looking for a cheap, $200 kit, you won't find one.

you should use an 80% receiver blank, though it needs to be fully heat-treated prior to any drilling or spot-welding. childersguns.com offers heat-treating for 80% polish receiver blanks (or standard, flat-bent receivers), or sells already heat-treated blanks + rails. i think ak-builder is still selling polish receiver rails (if you wanted a 100% polish factory-made receiver). i have a 80% blank drill jig and a spot welder, and i'm willing to let a build party utilize it. however, to use the jig requires a shop drill press (no hand drills). anyone looking to use a flat either needs to build a bending jig or throw down the cash for a bending jig.

I was actually after an all matching w/original barrel Yugo kit, not a cheap kit (hence the hard to find). Just picked one up yesterday, should be here soon. I'll be using an ak-builder receiver flat, but the fixed stock Yugos are not in stock. So I just have to play the waiting game. Waiting to see if anyone jumps in that already has the bending jig. I do not plan on building more than one rifle so it's not really a good investment for me. Will need to find a heat treating solution locally as I will have to bend the flat and drill the trunnion holes first. After that it's obviously a receiver so requires an FFL to ship. I'm not going to go through all of that for a $30 heat treat job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top