JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mostly I nuke stuff also. Have you thought of using a 24 Volt DC microwave. I think (2) 12 Volt deep cell batteries could be used (need more than (2) since a cloudy day can limit recharge time, though the automobile can be used in a pinch ... but it requires liquid fuel). One could recharge the batteries after use (on a sunny day) with solar panels. Keeping batteries charged is the value I find in solar. What am wondering is whether, or not multiple 12 volt deep cell batteries could be used with a 240 watt 24 volt microwave and what Ah rating the battery would need to heat the coffee, or cook the food.

Last Edited:
Portable..........&..........SHTF is a tall order. First thoughts are fuels which will be plentiful. Rule out bottled gas and liquid fuel for the longer term. They would be ok until exhausted, getting more could prove interesting.

Having giving the fact, I'm not going anywhere until forced by marshal law to a FEMA camp. One: I don't want to attract attention to my supplies, food & water.
Two: Rather not expose myself to others in an attempt to find food, gas or liquid fuels.

My biggest threat is the CSZ, "The Big One". There will be a large nearby supply of collapsed wooden buildings, maybe my own. Wood equals fuel.

Keep a reasonable quantity of water & purification equipment real close. After using perishable foods, time to hit the freeze dried stuff. Look up "Hobo Stoves". Just an old large metal coffee can with a couple holes around the bottom edge. Couple old coat hangers across the top to support cookware. Clean, new empty metal one gallon paint cans are just the ticket. They don't use much fuel (collapsed wood homes)............add water to the freeze dried stuff, cook time is short. Don't attract attention.......empty stomachs have good noses.

What I haven't figured out; no disaster is complete with a tall cold frosty beer. Any suggestions for a freeze dried tall frosty beer?

Foreverlost,

In Alaska my BIL made a larger stove for heating a yurt that doubled as Foster International Airport terminal out of a round 3 gallon oil can ala a hobo stove except it was on it's side instead of upright. A an old hinge, a few sheet metal screws, cut a hole on top for plumbing in a stove pipe and your cookin with wood...It did the job.

Brutus Out

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class