JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My cpap runs on 12v. I just use a small deep cycle battery. Runs it for 4 days before it needs a recharge. New Wheelchair SLA Battery 12V 35Ah Size U1 Deep Cycle - Walmart.com

Electric gadgets that make heat will draw more energy than things that don't make heat. With the heated humidifier turned off or removed, a ResMed 9 VPAP (very common version of CPAP) will run for 3.5 nights with a small inverter on Harbor Freight's Thunderbolt 12 Volt, 35 Amp battery without a recharge. Small and lightweight, it works great for 2-3 nights of camping.
Additional (bigger, heavier) deep cycle RV type batteries (BiMart, Costco, Walmart) can be charged (in parallel) and extend your service window considerably used one one at a time.

Last Edited:
Some of the hybrid and e-
I ordered a Watt meter so I can total up my appliance needs to determine generator size

If you have PGE as your provider, they used to (and may still, I just can't find it) show a bar chart of daily KWH usage. It would not show max KW though, and that is still important, more important for genset size than KWH.

If you have a well pump, then you have to take into account max wattage for the pump startup - usually at least several times more than constant running wattage and not something that you can usually hook a KW meter to inline as it is usually hard wired - but you might be able look at the pump or well head and see what it is rated for.

Otherwise you can estimate it:

Other things that have motors that take more wattage when they startup are:

Washing machine
Fridge/freezer
Air conditioner
Heat pump
Anything with an electric motor of any size

Follow up. The MaxOak a50 came about halfway charged, so I plugged it in to top off before using. From a 110 outlet it took about three hours. I plugged my CPAP into the AC out before bed and noticed that it was drawing about 50 watts while running and warming the water. I only used the CPAP for six hours that night which took the battery down to a bit over 60%. I am glad that I got this 500 watt hour unit instead of the cheaper 330 watt hour Baldr. I may also spring for a 100 watt solar panel for quiet recharging.

Bonus, my dear wife is running social errands tomorrow and asked how she can keep a crock pot on warm in the car for two hours. The crock pot draws 55 watts on the warm setting so she should be good to go. Quite satisfying after she said "You paid $329 for that?"

Of course! As soon as you buy something, a newer, better model comes out.

They now have a new Bluetti AC50S with a regulated 12 volt output

Also, just launched from Jackery, a 300 Watt hour unit with a regulated 12 volt output

The Jackery is lighter at 7.1 pounds vs 13.6 pounds of the Bluetti AC50 making it better for hiking. However the Jackery requires a proprietary connector for solar charging, where the Bluetti is universal.

Here's my backup plan if all Heck Breaks loose.
Propane or natural gas

21267664-920A-4579-A74F-533943CE3218.jpeg

I just pulled the trigger on this unit so my wife can sleep well (cpap) down at the off grid cabin. It was a good chunk of coin but Frys had it for $360 and they have a good return policy so if it doesn't work out, back to the store it goes. I also had a $20 frys gift card that has been in my wallet for many years that I was able to use up.

Costco has Duracell PowerSource and Solar Generator, 660 Watt Hour Battery Capacity, 1440w Output Inverter (1800w Peak) on sale for $499 for members.

https://www.costco.com/duracell-powersource-660.product.100573682.html
Keep in mind with the duracell unit, it has sealed lead acid battery type and it produces modified sine wave ac output. With the lead acid batteries they will have a much shorter life than lithium batteries if drawn down at the same rates. The modified sinewave output could cause some irregularities with use of some electronics. If it had lithium batteries it would be a steal at that price.

Update: I ended up getting a 100 watt foldable/portable solar panel which recharges my Bluetti AC50 from 50% to full in about three hours.

With all of the "planned" nighttime outages we have been having over the summer, I did finally pick up that Bluetti AC50S with a regulated 12 volt output and a DC power supply for my CPAP. Added a 120 watt foldable/portable solar panel for it which actually cost less than my 100 watt I bought last year.

The AC50S runs my CPAP and a fan in our bedroom, the original AC50 runs a fan in the kids room, a hallway night light and the house phone.

It looks like bigger/better/safer LiFePO4 batteries are now available to the public:

And unlike Tesla, I can easily take it with me when I move.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top