JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a Portable Power Station / Battery which can run a CPAP machine for 8 hours. I hear that some folks use these for camping, but I am looking at a November grid down event. I can run a generator in the carport during the day to charge, but the battery must be able to last for 8 hours so my wife and I can get snore free sleep. How big of a power station do I need?

So it's a no go to run a Honda 2000 during the evening? That's one of my backups and what I use for hunting camp. I believe there's a online cpap store that has a bunch of those batteries.
map your worried about a power grid being down come election month?

To determine how much power you need, find the wattage of the device you are using, and multiply that by the hours you want it to run for.

For example, if your device uses 60 watts, and you want to run for 8 hours, you'll need 480wh capacity.

For me, personally, I like to double that. I'd get the 1,000wh in that case. You can never have too much power, if the budget will allow.

CPAP machine take 30-60 watts, so for a night of sleep you need at least 500 watt/hrs for each machine.

I am looking for a Portable Power Station / Battery which can run a CPAP machine for 8 hours. I hear that some folks use these for camping, but I am looking at a November grid down event. I can run a generator in the carport during the day to charge, but the battery must be able to last for 8 hours so my wife and I can get snore free sleep. How big of a power station do I need?

I would definitely stick with a device that has lithium battery, like the Jackery. Do you have a humidifier function running on your CPAP? That greatly increases the power draw. Try to get a DC power cord for the CPAP as well.

I would get your hands on a watt meter and run your CPAP through it to get a good idea of how much power it will be drawing each night.

I would definitely stick with a device that has lithium battery, like the Jackery. Do you have a humidifier function running on your CPAP? That greatly increases the power draw. Try to get a DC power cord for the CPAP as well.

Lucky me, my CPAP takes a spendy DC power cord Amazon.com: Resmed Airsense 10 & Aircurve 10 Dc Power Supply 37297: Health & Personal Care

I am having a hard time finding a Power Station with a regulated 12v output. This unit is just going to be for my bedside CPAP and usb phone charger. I plan on spending another $1000 for a 1000W unit to use in the living room and kitchen (Jackery or BlueTTI).

Another $1000 on the duel fuel generator to run during the day for charging since solar will be a joke this winter.

Lucky me, my CPAP takes a spendy DC power cord Amazon.com: Resmed Airsense 10 & Aircurve 10 Dc Power Supply 37297: Health & Personal Care

I am having a hard time finding a Power Station with a regulated 12v output. This unit is just going to be for my bedside CPAP and usb phone charger. I plan on spending another $1000 for a 1000W unit to use in the living room and kitchen (Jackery or BlueTTI).

Another $1000 on the duel fuel generator to run during the day for charging since solar will be a joke this winter.
Ouch, we picked up a DC cord for my wifes dreamstation for $35ish. We haven't tried it yet but the DC cord is suppose to be much more efficient. If your CPAP doesn't use a humidifier then it will likely use a lot less power. We are leaning towards purchasing the Jackery unit but the price kills me.

Last Edited:

Does the DC cord you listed require regulated DC output?

We haven't tried it yet but the DC cord is suppose to be much more efficient.

Yes - if you don't have to run the power thru a an inverter to get AC then a rectifier to DC again, if you just use straight DC off the battery, then that is much more efficient. Each time you go thru an inverter you can lose up to10-20% of the power, same with a rectifier - if a device uses DC it is always much more efficient to use DC straight from a battery.

Thanks for all the links.
I spent a week hunting at the edge of the Eagle Cap Wilderness 2 years ago. I ran a regular 50' 14 gauge extension cord to the cab of my truck, had an inverter plugged into an always hot 12v socket.
I use a Resmed Airsense 10 unit inside the tent. 6 1/2 hrs worked fine, truck still started in the morning. 7 hours or more depleted the battery down enough that I had to jump start the truck. I took 2 good automotive batteries along just in case, one to jump start if needed, one as an extra backup.
It didn't cost me anything, already had a couple extra car batteries available, along with an inverter.

The nice thing is that the truck would charge the battery up at idle fairly quickly; small hum from the inverter wasn't noticeable at night outside the cab.

I was too cheap to buy the $35 dc cord, but after seeing these posts I'm ordering one.
I'm looking at making up a longer DC cord extension to run from inside the house to a car battery outside. Easily recharged quickly by the car/truck.
The nice thing about using the car to recharge the battery is you have 16-20 gallons of fuel available without extra cans.
I have a 2000 Watt Honda generator and a 5500 watt monster Milsurp unit for appliances if needed, but the problem is fuel storage, they go through quite a bit of fuel (gas).
I need to switch the big Generators to propane so don't have to worry about fuel degradation.

WE had a thread around here - perhaps in Prepardness, which may have some futher suggestions / ideas ...

I'm not up to speed on what kind of batteries these power banks use. Can someone who's researched them enlighten me on a few concerns?

- What's the warranty support like on these? $1,000+ seems like a lot of cash to drop on a device from unkown/unestablished manufacturers
- Do these devices have replaceable batteries that are easily sourced, a standard form factor, so that you can service them when the device fails?
- Are the batteries in these safer than those used in phones or laptops? I went down a rabbit hole on YT one day watching laptops and phones explode and burn houses/offices down. These are devices from established manufacturers catching on fire and exploding.
- Does Tesla make anything like a portable power bank? I feel like that'd be more reliable than some Chinese made kickstarter product.

These devices do seem to be very useful, but I usually shy away from anything battery-operated because over the years I have become tired of some of my favorite machines becoming useless when the battery pack fails and the OEM no longer supports it. I'm also not a big fan of gas either because modern gas gunks up carbs and your generator may not start when you need it to because the carb is fouled.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top