JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LP is the way to go.
I looked into an onboard, propane fueled generator for a camper about 10-12 years ago because the camper was plumbed and wired for one. It seemed like there was nearly a 75% premium compared to a similar gasoline powered version. I ended up with a Honda EU2000i and it's been a great little machine. We now have a motorhome with an onboard gas fueled Generac that takes care of our RV uses, but I've kept the Honda for potential use at home. We don't lose power like we used to, but I can run a lot of items, fridge, freezer, microwave, TV and even the furnace if I'm strategic. The fuel can be shut off and the carb run out, then the vent on the tank closed and the gas will stay acceptably fresh for quite a while as long as you don't use fuel with ethanol. It's when fuel is exposed to the atmosphere that it goes bad.

We've been really happy with the 20kw Generac, fed by a 500 gallon propane tank. Auto on, no fuss, no muss. Just does its thing. In the sticks the power goes out a lot, so it keeps the operation running. :D
Can you give more details like model numbers, etc? I'm willing to spend up to about $10K on this.

Just need this guy than!

I have looked at some larger bottles a couple times when I am at that store. Just never did since we use the thing so little here. When I first bought it I ran one 5 gal exchange bottle with a couple electric heaters plugged in. So it would put load on and off while the engine broke in. It took what seemed like forever to use up that one bottle. So now I just keep 3 full ones. If we ever get a real good storm coming may buy one more to have. For those that live in the "outback" so to speak one of those would keep you in power for a hell of a long time. Not to mention we also have a seldom used now gas grill. So if power goes out for any amount of time we can always just dust it off to cook too. Although as long as I can run the microwave I am set. If the microwave died I would starve :s0140:

I looked into an onboard, propane fueled generator for a camper about 10-12 years ago because the camper was plumbed and wired for one. It seemed like there was nearly a 75% premium compared to a similar gasoline powered version. I ended up with a Honda EU2000i and it's been a great little machine. We now have a motorhome with an onboard gas fueled Generac that takes care of our RV uses, but I've kept the Honda for potential use at home. We don't lose power like we used to, but I can run a lot of items, fridge, freezer, microwave, TV and even the furnace if I'm strategic. The fuel can be shut off and the carb run out, then the vent on the tank closed and the gas will stay acceptably fresh for quite a while as long as you don't use fuel with ethanol. It's when fuel is exposed to the atmosphere that it goes bad.
For some reason I still never see the LP units at stores here which I have never quite got why. As for price the LP ones are the same in the ones I see, you just have to order the LP one. When I bought ours from Home Depot they carried the gas version of it in the store, had to order in the LP version but price was the same. They offered the ship for free either to the store or to my home. So I of course just had them bring it to my home. The one Costco has also shows it has to be ordered in but at a really nice looking price. I have often wondered why the LP ones seem to never have caught on better. Once I tried it I would never go back to gasoline. Have to guess a lot of people just don't know they exist or how easy they are. Hell you can buy the bottles of LP all over town now days. I see many stop'n, robs even sell it now. Guess a lot of people must have gas BBQ's these days. :)

How do you hook the generator into your house?
For that you need a transfer. They have them that are a manual, you go out and throw the switch taking you off the grid and onto the gen, and they go up to the ones that are automatic. All in how much you want to spend. Since we seldom use ours I just have a few heavy (12/3) cords. Run them into the house and go from there.

Can you give more details like model numbers, etc? I'm willing to spend up to about $10K on this.

I don't have the exact model number handy, but it is the Generac Guardian line, 20Kw unit. All together (unit, installation, panels, wiring, piping, licensing, et al.) was in at around $8K-ish. Granted, this was like five years ago, so figure inflation, but I still think you are under your budgeted amount.

Well wishes with your project. If I can answer any questions, at your service. :)

How do you hook the generator into your house?

We had an electrician install the panel, wiring, piping, et al.

I bought the Costco one last summer for camping (nearly every weekend) and quickly replaced it with the real Yamaha 2000i. It is quieter than the Honda, easily paralleled, and my favorite it has a fuel shut off (so you can run the carb dry b fore storing). It's only marginally quieter than the Honda but had better longevity reviews. The Costco "Yamaha" knockoff was bitterly loud, so loud I gave it to my brother in-law for free.

Our new house has dual heat (furnace and pellet stove), and the Yamaha will power our well, pellet stove, and fridges as needed. All we need is water, food and heat.

Too bad for the timing of this thread, we surplussed a large backup generator a couple months ago for under $1000 at work. It was a diesel that was rated at 60kw, turnkey ready. The buyer got a steal on it as I wasn't ready for a genset that large yet.

Honestly if we're talking big gensets the only name I trust anymore is westerbeke....for portables it's kinda hit or miss for me, have wore out plenty of chepos (yamaha, powermate ect) and a few higher end ones.

For portable and quiet power I've settled on to an older Honda inverter, I got it used and have put well over 250hrs on it personally and it still hums right along with zero issues. The fuel capacity is crap for any extended outage but well worth it for the reliability.

ETA: the chepo Yamaha was a used older unit (metal clad) that had fueling and stator issues, most likely from neglect

We've been really happy with the 20kw Generac, fed by a 500 gallon propane tank. Auto on, no fuss, no muss. Just does its thing. In the sticks the power goes out a lot, so it keeps the operation running. :D

I will admit I was a little peeved that the generator was the first prep installation (I wanted wood stove first), but there have been so many storms where it is so nice to not have to worry. I get sent home from school due to no power and smile to myself. With the wood stove (it was second) for heat, we are set. :s0155: In fact, when we were snowed in last year the kids didn't even realize we were without power for 4 or 5 days. :s0168:

I have This Champion dual fuel. thai I love. I purchased it from the site linked along with a 5 year 100% warranty for an additional $100. Which made it around $700 at the time. I use lpg only and it runs everything in my rv while dry camping.
it is made in China like all the others, even Honda. As a plus it is quieter than the similar sized Honda.
I broke the lpg regulator by smacking it on a rock and they overnighted me one free.
I have this same champion dual fuel only slightly bigger output and I am very happy with it. My budget is usually pretty tight and I ended up spending a bit more than I was planning for a generator but I'm really glad I went this route. I love the option of the dual fuel, especially considering the storage life of propane. The max output if running propane is a bit less than gas, though, due to less btu's I assume

It is MUCH quieter than a non-inverter type of the same size. Enough so that depending on the set-up I think it could be possible to run in a neighborhood without people noticing, if that's a possible concern you may have. I don't mean out in the open but in a garage (well vented of course) or structure that provides some muffling.

It also has a switch that, if not using a full load, will cause the output to match the demand, so if you only need to draw 2000 watts and not 3500 it regulates it down to 2000 watts, making it more efficient and quieter. I really like this feature.

While not tiny I would consider it portable. One guy of average strength should be able to get it into a pick up without much problem.

Disclaimer: this is a back up power option for me and I have not owned it long and have probably only ran it about 5 hours. I can't speak to long term quality

I don't have the exact model number handy, but it is the Generac Guardian line, 20Kw unit. All together (unit, installation, panels, wiring, piping, licensing, et al.) was in at around $8K-ish. Granted, this was like five years ago, so figure inflation, but I still think you are under your budgeted amount.

Well wishes with your project. If I can answer any questions, at your service. :)

We had an electrician install the panel, wiring, piping, et al.
Thanks. That helps.

I am looking for a portable propane generator that I can set up under my attached carport to run a refrigerator, window a/c unit, cell phone chargers, a cable modem, phone and one PC computer with a 27" screen via extension cords run into the house. Yeah a $10,000 system is not going to happen.

How do I calculate what kilowatt and tank size I need?

I am looking for a portable propane generator that I can set up under my attached carport to run a refrigerator, window a/c unit, cell phone chargers, a cable modem, phone and one PC computer with a 27" screen via extension cords run into the house. Yeah a $10,000 system is not going to happen.

How do I calculate what kilowatt and tank size I need?
For wattage take what you want to run and double it, for things with an electric motor they say something like 2.5 times the wattage to get them started. TV's and such just the wattage. figure all the stuff you think you want to run at the same time. If it comes to say 2K Watts, I would get a Gen set that is at least twice that. For tank size if you go LP, which is the way to go, you can choose to have several bottles like the ones that all the stores sell, or buy one big one. LP is nice as you do not have to rotate it. Also when you use the Gen set and you are done you just shut it off. With Gasoline you need to drain the carb.

Several years back I ditched regular gasoline for all my small engines. Now I use only ethanol free. It doesn't require additives so it can sit in the machine all year and it won't gum up the carb at all. Effortless starts every time and it runs cooler and more efficiently than the E fuel.

That aside, there are LP conversion kits for those with Hondas, who are ready to spend even more money. I've considered making the conversion but hardly use the Honda now as our our home runs on a Generac when the power is down. That is definitely the way to go if you have frequent outages.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top