JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've been authorized to buy a portable generator for the office location here in Oregon. At the house we have an auto-on, whole-house Generac as a primary and an el cheapo Powermate as a backup and work on locations on the property with no juice. The Powermate is, frankly, meh. It works but it is kind of clunky.

I'm thinking of going with a Honda portable to power key systems when the power is knocked out and we're dealing with a busy time, like we are now. But I am open to suggestions. Thanks friends! :s0155:

I've got a Honda EU2000i. Great machine, but couldn't keep too many things powered if there was an extended outage. I could pay a grand for another one, plus a parallel kit for another $100?

I've been eyeing the little generators that Costco has (1800W?), that comes with a parallel kit, and runs about $450! I figure I could get 2 of them for the price of 1 Honda 2000, with about 50% more power AND comes with parallel kits!

If portability isn't a problem, I would also like the 7500W, dual fuel (gas and propane) generator that Costco has.

(Following thread for other ideas)

:s0155:

Honda is what others are judged by. Have to take into account how often do you need it and how much power you need. If it's seldom used the propane is FAR better. Handling the gas is a PITA. Every time you go to use it you have to fill it. Have to store and rotate the fuel. After each use you have to drain the tank. LP, you turn on the gas and start it up. When done shut it off.
That one AMT mentioned from Costco is interesting. The LP 6K one we have I bought about 10 years ago from Home Depot. Think I paid about the same price for it. If it dies I will have to look at Costco since Wife has a membership there from work.

Honda's used to come from Japan, now like everyone else they come from China.
Inverters are too small to be dependable. The Honda motor will run forever. The Motherboard that runs the inverter are pledged with problems, after 2 years or so they quit.

The inverters are not rated for freezers or refrigerators. Overloading shortens life.

Believe it or not, look into a Predator generator from Harbor Freight. The Predator engine has an excellent reputation and the 13hp monster I installed on my chipper shredder hasn't missed a beat in over 5yrs of smashing TONS oak leaves EVERY year.... now if only I didn't have to repair the drive shaft of the flail downstream of the "break away coupling" every other year.... but that doesn't involve the engine. ;)

Honda's used to come from Japan, now like everyone else they come from China.
Inverters are too small to be dependable. The Honda motor will run forever. The Motherboard that runs the inverter are pledged with problems, after 2 years or so they quit.

The inverters are not rated for freezers or refrigerators. Overloading shortens life.

They are overload protected. And inverter generators provide cleaner more reliable power even under load. You might want to do a little more research.

FYI, I was in the RV business for YEARS and have sold hundreds of Hondas that worked superbly for dry camping.

Believe it or not, look into a Predator generator from Harbor Freight. The Predator engine has an excellent reputation and the 13hp monster I installed on my chipper shredder hasn't missed a beat in over 5yrs of smashing TONS oak leaves EVERY year.... now if only I didn't have to repair the drive shaft of the flail downstream of the "break away coupling" every other year.... but that doesn't involve the engine. ;)
I already have a 600 amp, 240V manual (break before make) transfer switch. I want to find a 10-12 kW generator that can supply about 50 amps @ 240V. I plan to install a sub-panel and move all of my 120V circuits (receptacles, lights, etc.) off of the currently over crowded 200 amp service onto the sub-panel. The sub-panel would be on the output of the transfer switch. The transfer switch would be fed by either the 200 amp main panel, or the generator, whichever was selected, with the output going to the sub-panel.

This would make it easy to fire up the generator, plug it into the transfer switch and route power to all my 120V circuits during our frequent week-long winter power outages.

I'm looking for advice from people who have experience with various 10-12 kW portable generators. Propane would be nice, but a 250 gal propane tank would run about $1200. Looks like it's going to end up being a gas powered unit.

Look into the extended run kits for the Honda e2000i, uses a boat tank so.. slap a 7 gallon tank on there and it'll run at full load for days.:s0139:

I currently own A 4K generic made in USA model from the 90's.. it was purchased by my father in law new. It's setup on wheels to power an entire guest house and has one time to date. (That is where he currently lives) I have a predator 4K I purchased about 3 years ago. It is directed wired that powers my main house and has done so many times with no problems. It also will power my 325' deep 3/4 hp well if needed and lighting in my shop. As other portable power operations I have a champion 2800 with remote start that I bought new to power my RV about 2 years ago..also a Honda eu2000 thats a hand me down from another family member. All have been great power units to date. In the past I did own a hand me down Honda eu2000 that had bad surging problems and over loading problems that my current one has never done.

Hope my info helps.

Look into the extended run kits for the Honda e2000i, uses a boat tank so.. slap a 7 gallon tank on there and it'll run at full load for days.:s0139:
I have a friend that lived off grid for about 6 years. We used that kit and plumed it to a 55 gallon barrel. It would run for weeks until it would shut down due to lack of oil.

So the power just went out on our patch. Kids spooked. Wife tell them wait a minute, generator will come on. Fires up and they demand to know what a "generator" is. Woman explain to them "it is a robot that turns on the lights." Not enough data, so Dah-do took them outside to see the "robot". :s0112:

I've put off buying one for a really long time. It will probably bight me in the bubblegum later when it's really needed.

I was looking at dual fuel models mostly. I like the idea that propane can store essentially forever and gas is so so for long term storage.

I've put off buying one for a really long time. It will probably bight me in the bubblegum later when it's really needed.

I was looking at dual fuel models mostly. I like the idea that propane can store essentially forever and gas is so so for long term storage.

LP is the way to go. After I did it I often wondered why I waited so long to do so. No more rotating the damn gas. Not to mention that when I had to use the thing I then had to drain the tank and run the gas out of it before putting it away again. Sooooo much easier now. Turn it on, turn it off when done. That one CostCo has looks really nice for the price.

Out of curiosity, are you
LP is the way to go. After I did it I often wondered why I waited so long to do so. No more rotating the damn gas. Not to mention that when I had to use the thing I then had to drain the tank and run the gas out of it before putting it away again. Sooooo much easier now. Turn it on, turn it off when done. That one CostCo has looks really nice for the price.

^. Nailed it. Logistics so much easier.

I have This Champion dual fuel. thai I love. I purchased it from the site linked along with a 5 year 100% warranty for an additional $100. Which made it around $700 at the time. I use lpg only and it runs everything in my rv while dry camping.
it is made in China like all the others, even Honda. As a plus it is quieter than the similar sized Honda.
I broke the lpg regulator by smacking it on a rock and they overnighted me one free.

Just need this guy than!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads