JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago, shooting with a friend who was so very proud of his new Dillon machine, he was popping along happily with his 659, when he pulled the trigger, and seemingly nothing happened (we both had ear protection).

He went to rack the slide again, and I said, "Did you check the bore?", He looked at me quizzically, nodded his head and finished racking the slide, empty brass came out (new cartridge went in), and he went back to shooting stance. I then yelled, "DID YOU CHECK THE BORE!!" He nodded, turned his attention back to sight picture, at which point I turned around and took off running. He caught my self-preservation activity out of the corner of his eye, stopped, dropped the clip, racked the cartridge out of the chamber, slide locked to the rear, and stared down the muzzle. Dark as a well-digger's rectum.

A fine new 9mm bullet, propelled apparently only by a primer had taken up residency about halfway down the barrel. Neither of us had heard the primer report, and when he racked the slide and saw brass only come out, he figured he was good to go.

An early lesson for me regarding progressive loading machines. I don't disparage them, but I know they require focused attention: just as focused as when one loads with a single stage.

I once had a friend of mine shoot a .40 cal. round out of his 1911 .45 pistol hahahahah. The shell had a nice split on one side and that was it. I have never shot the wrong caliber out of any firearm.

Had a friend of mine do the same thing...asked for a box of .45 at the store, they gave him .40, he didn't check the box before loading.

Glad no harm was done shooting the wrong caliber.
My eyes are getting so bad I am going to need the caliber of each bullet in Braille. I need one of them beepers hanging down at the target so I know which way to shoot.
Mike

Too bad he wasn't shooting a Glock, he coulda just stuffed it with DIRT and kept shooting.................................................... according to SOME Glock owners.:s0114:

Glad no one was hurt.:s0155:

I've got a 9mm conversion barrel for my Springfield XD40, with corresponding mags for each caliber. Once loaded I can tell the difference between the two types of mags by capacity. The.40 mags hold 12, the 9mm hold 16. So I'm out at the range loading mags, 5 .40 rounds at a time. I get 12 rounds in the mag and then try to stuff the next round in, it won't go so I look at the holes on the back of the mag, it's at capacity, but is says it should take 4 more rounds, WTF? So I unload the mag, then reload it, still only 12 rounds go in the 16 round mag. Then it finally dawns on me, I'm loading my 9mm mags with .40. DUH!?! UH OH, what's in my .40 mags? Sure enough, 9 mm. Needless to say, now I look at the ammo loaded in the mag, instead of just looking at the capacity of the mag to tell me which caliber ammo is loaded.

Well it is a. LOL for me. An honest, buit not too damgerous mistake. 380. Is a 9mm "kurtz". Kurtz is german for short. The 380 acp. Is 9mm x 17mm. And charged to a lower pressure. The. 9mm parabellum. Or ( for war). Is 9mm x 19mm and has a higher pressure charge. Putting a 380 in a 9 x 19 although not recommended, is about like putting a 22 long. In a 22 long rifle chamber. Can fire but not enough power to cycle the action. If oyu r ever going to screw up, this one one of the safer ones. PLEASE. Check each round befor you load from now on. And pass this on as a good example for future generations.
Thanks for sharing.
A1

Actually .380 is not just simply a shorter 9mm para case, the taper is quite different between the two. The 9mm is a tapered pistol case where as the .380 is straight. None of the dimensions between the two are similar, except for the case mouth accepts the same diameter bullet. Just because one says 9x19mm and the other 9x17mm, doesn't simply mean that one is just a shorter case.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever done while shooting: I stapled a stack of four or five targets on the target stand. My thinking went like this-"After I've shot the target, I'll just peel it off and use the fresh target underneath! Wait a minute..."

This is the stupidest thing I've ever done while shooting: I stapled a stack of four or five targets on the target stand. My thinking went like this-"After I've shot the target, I'll just peel it off and use the fresh target underneath! Wait a minute..."

I've done that too, it was raining so I wanted to be able to run down range without my stapler, tear down a down a target and be ready to go again. I realized my folly before I sent any bullets down range.

Years ago, shooting with a friend who was so very proud of his new Dillon machine, he was popping along happily with his 659, when he pulled the trigger, and seemingly nothing happened (we both had ear protection).

He went to rack the slide again, and I said, "Did you check the bore?", He looked at me quizzically, nodded his head and finished racking the slide, empty brass came out (new cartridge went in), and he went back to shooting stance. I then yelled, "DID YOU CHECK THE BORE!!" He nodded, turned his attention back to sight picture, at which point I turned around and took off running. He caught my self-preservation activity out of the corner of his eye, stopped, dropped the clip, racked the cartridge out of the chamber, slide locked to the rear, and stared down the muzzle. Dark as a well-digger's rectum.

A fine new 9mm bullet, propelled apparently only by a primer had taken up residency about halfway down the barrel. Neither of us had heard the primer report, and when he racked the slide and saw brass only come out, he figured he was good to go.

An early lesson for me regarding progressive loading machines. I don't disparage them, but I know they require focused attention: just as focused as when one loads with a single stage.

A buddy of mine was reloading 9mm and did pull the trigger the second time. He never noticed anything at the range. When he got home and was cleaning his PT-92 he noticed 2 bulged in the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top