JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is your craziest load, most random load? Why not load? Got bored and thought I'd try it load?

Just curious. I loaded up some 208 grain BTHP's for my 308 today for poops and giggles. Going to try some 220's next.

Might try some subsonic 223 after that. See what comes out of it...

I've made loads like 3 451 balls in a 45 colt case or speer flying ashtrays with a full charge of 296 in the same 45 colt. I've tried 110gr. 30 carbine bullets in a 30.06, last dud was a 300gr sierra match king in a 338 win mag seated to magazine length. Way too much bullet jump to be very accurate, seated correctly and single loaded they shoot fine.

P
Might try some subsonic 223 after that. See what comes out of it...

I have a buddy that tried and tried to get SS .223 to cycle his supressed AR. It was a lost cause. He got the closest with 1 grain of pistol powder and a little trimming of the buffer spring but the reliability was horrendous.

I bought out all the loading stuff from a club member's wife, he had passed, he also cast bullets.
I got thousands of 148gr/38 double ended wad cutters as cast, like 10 5# coffee cans full!!

I tried to run them thru the luber/sizer press/die I got too, but that was not fun, so I bought a LEE push thru sizer die that came with some liquid alox lube, and pushed them thru that.

So here's the giggle load part.
I loaded them seated way out/long in 38 cases, and crimped them is a grease groove about midway.

The case volume ended up about the same as a 158 SWC seated normally, in the normal crimp groove in a 357 case...but when chambered that wad cutter was already into the throat of the cylinder of a 357.

I don't recall the charge size (wouldn't post it anyway) but know it was Unique, and shot amazing groups in any gun I put them in, messy though:(.

Another good thing, loaded into a 38 cylinder the bullet stuck out the front of the cylinder and tied it up so it couldn't be shot... a good thing as the load was hotter than a normal 38.
:D

stuffing as much trailboss into a 357mag case and see what happens...

not much happens:(
Back when I was working with TNW, I put 14 grains of Titegroup behind a 200 grain XTP 10mm to see if the little ASR could take it. It was interesting to say the least. Not a whole lot of damage to the rifle. The barrel bulged into the receiver at the chamber end. Extractor went by by, other than that the bolt worked afterwords, as well as the barrel, once I scraped out the remaining portion of the case stuck in the chamber.

I received and old 1917 Colt .45 ACP in a trade years ago and I read where 30-06 and .45 ACP brass had the same basic measurements. I took some 30-06 brass and cut it off 1/8th" shorter than the cylinder of the Revolver, then using .410 wads, #6 shot and some 2400, I loaded up some dandy "snake" (and other thing) loads. :eek:

I received and old 1917 Colt .45 ACP in a trade years ago and I read where 30-06 and .45 ACP brass had the same basic measurements. I took some 30-06 brass and cut it off 1/8th" shorter than the cylinder of the Revolver, then using .410 wads, #6 shot and some 2400, I loaded up some dandy "snake" (and other thing) loads. :eek:
Cool!

You top off the load with an aluminum washer on top of a .410 nitro card and give them a little roll crimp in a .44 Die. They fit right into half moon clips.
"I think they might be good for close in Quail." o_O ;) :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Not really one of my loads cause I don't reload but my friend makes some very hot .45 ACP probably +P+ level give or take,he loads a 230 grain JHP to about 1200 feet per second,definitely feels different than standard .45 ACP but out of a 1911 the recoil is still pretty low for me.

Amazingly my old RIA GI I put about 250 of these through handled it just fine and looks as if it had shot about 300 standard pressure rounds. Those hot .45 acp loads would probably be greats for woods carry.

loaded up some SS 308 this weekend, 8gr of titegroup, gave me 1132 fps which wasnt to bad, nice and quiet.. also loaded some of those super hot loads that aksu was talking about, a buddy of mine wanted some woods ammo for his 45 and then never bought the ammo from me, so I have some 45acp with 230gr xtp and rn bullets with 7.5gr of unique under them.. shot fine through my xd that I had at the time.. definitely hot.. but didnt damage the gun what so ever.

I keep pushing my 10mm with stupidly hot loads.

Current max is 12.8 grains of 800x behind a 200 grain XTP. Not really doing it for poops and giggles, more of a hobbyist trying to stretch the boundaries. So far just one primer blow out...

I've made loads like 3 451 balls in a 45 colt case or speer flying ashtrays with a full charge of 296 in the same 45 colt. I've tried 110gr. 30 carbine bullets in a 30.06, last dud was a 300gr sierra match king in a 338 win mag seated to magazine length. Way too much bullet jump to be very accurate, seated correctly and single loaded they shoot fine.
OreMike. You sure we're not related ? Three .451 balls work great loaded into a brass .410 case and 110gr carbine bullets will work in a 30-06 unless they're loaded too light and then you have to pound them out of the barrel.:eek: Other than the cut-off 30-06 brass in the 1917 Colt, I've pretty much stuck to the book.:D

LOL!!!
You guys remind me of the old story about, necking a .375 H&H magnum down to an old style phonograph needle!
Only goofy stuff I ever did was pursuing hot .357 loads. Took me ten years but I finally cracked the forcing cone! When my buddies saw it they came up with the clever idea that, now I could shoot and cook my dinner all at once! Clever sods!:)

I have one idea for an unusual .45 load... unsure if it'd be better for ACP or .45 Super/.450 SMC though.

Thinking is to take the 260-grain projectile from the .45 Long Colt (either a Speer Gold Dot or Barnes XPB) and mate it with the shorter .45 Auto-family case, with a powder load aiming for similar penetration to ACP but not appreciably more (call it 18" upper limit).

Back in the day, here I go, showing my age..:rolleyes:
I had a "Marble's" sub caliber adapter for 30-06. You snapped a .32 auto cartridge into the front of it and used it for target, or small varmints. :)

With a decent starting point you can make a 22-250 into just about any other .224 cal firearm. I have some reduced loads with SR4759 and trailboss that are fun to shoot at short range and death on gophers in the hayfield. SR4759 got discontinued so I'll have to look for an alternative when I run out.

So far I have mimicked .223, 22wmr, 22 hornet, and .218 bee ballistics out of the 250 by messing with different powder/bullet combos. Surprisingly, most of the stuff I have tried has worked just fine.

I keep pushing my 10mm with stupidly hot loads.

Current max is 12.8 grains of 800x behind a 200 grain XTP. Not really doing it for poops and giggles, more of a hobbyist trying to stretch the boundaries. So far just one primer blow out...

What velocity are you getting? I decided (for now) to stop at 1,260 with #9 :)

bubblegums and giggles loads? coated lead balls in 45 Colt and 357 :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top