JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My advice is definitely get a cz 527 if the price is right, but be open to slightly different sub models of CZ. I had a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 on my want list for a while, and 2 years ago I came across a cz 527 .223 "Royal" on Gunbroker, and won it at $500. Aparently only a few hundred were imported, and I had never heard of them, which is what first sparked my interest. Over the last 20 years CZ has been notorious for short runs on sub models of very popular models. But oftentimes the rare/short run models are not what 99% of the population is looking for, hence them not getting bid on or searched for. The set trigger is quite nice.

What about a Ruger M77 in .223? They are mauser actions, usually stainless steel, just a little beefier tgan a cz527. Standard stock is a nasty looking "boat paddle" stock. Ive handled a few and thought they felt nice.

Or how about a Baikal 94? They are pretty dang cool guns, and would probably fit the "survival" niche that the 527 carbine is in. They were imported (now banned from import so it will only go up in value) in a few different combos, but here is one in 12ga and .223. Break action double barrel. This is a great price too, saw the same setup sell on GB over the summer for $900: https://www.armslist.com/posts/1350...-sale--baikal-izh-94--223-12-gauge-o-u-combo-

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 which I like, but has too many quirks to recommend. Tikka T3X super light is fabulous out of the box. Am also liking my Ruger American Ranch. Action a bit rough, but with a little white lithium and running it hard, no issues. Sub MOA with correct loads.

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 which I like, but has too many quirks to recommend. Tikka T3X super light is fabulous out of the box. Am also liking my Ruger American Ranch. Action a bit rough, but with a little white lithium and running it hard, no issues. Sub MOA with correct loads.
I had a CZ 527. Still have a CZ .22LR. Great guns but mags are expensive and I'm more of a "utility" firearm type of guy. Got a Ruger American Ranch; nice gun for the money. Wish there were some better composite stock upgrades available!

Just got a Timney trigger for the Ruger American Ranch. Haven't installed yet but am hoping it smooths out that trigger action.

CZ has announced the new 600 series, and I'm eyeing that. Another thread on it here:

Just bought her. There's deals to be had.

I don't know if we'll ever see them produced again, but I have a Thompson/Center Compass I in 5.56 that's sub-MOA at 100y with factory AR ammo. I got mine used for $250 in 2018 and it's my most-used shooter. If you find a TC Compass I or II, I think they're well worth picking up.

I brought home the CZ 600 Lux in .223/5.56 yesterday. I haven't shot it yet but first impressions:
  • Light, comfortable, easy to handle. Just under 7 pounds.
  • Sling swivels are included.
  • The trigger has a crisp break at approx 4 pounds.
  • The safety is enabled from a button underneath, and disabled by pushing down on the button on top. It feels like a natural flow to disable the safety and then shoot.
  • I'll likely keep it with just the iron sights.
Overall I'm happy with the purchase.

I don't think you could have purchased a better bolt action in my opinion.

...and no dice. I did the Order, the gun shop charged my card, and then backed out about 4hrs later saying the rifle was on back order. Ummm, yeah OK. So a non-positive rating of the Seller and a complaint to GunBroker.

I will still likely acquire a CZ 527 Carbine.
I can relate a recent somewhat similar experience, and offer a recommendation.

Recently I was on a search for an unusual set of dies (.33 WCF) and "found" them on a website, flagged "in stock" (and even going so far as to supply which of their warehouses the dies sat).

I ordered them, and 4 days later was pleased to see the package in the mailbox. Turned out to be 6mm Creedmoor dies. Company explanation was that Lee supplies them with a "product line web page" as a result of the Company being a Lee dealer. Could not explain the "IN STOCK" flag (even with its warehouse claim). To their credit, they told me keep the dies and reversed the charges. Another NWFA Member got 'em for ten bucks (6mm Creedmoor being not in the upper quadrant of my caliber preferences).

If you want a slim, trim, and beautiful .223 bolt gun, look for an Interarms Mini Mauser (from the 80's to '90's). Finely finished and very accurate. My :walking varminter" for years. No protruding magazine out of the bottom (conventional floorplate, but oh, so tiny!).

In a full size (short) actioned rifle, I'd want an older Remington 700.

1646245321203.jpeg

The Long and the Short of it: Remington 700V (fat barrel) .223. Leupold 6-18x on an STD bridge mount.

Interarms Mini Mark X .223. Leupold 3x-9x Compact AO on a Redfield JR bridge mount.

Size of the bolt handles really conveys how small that Mauser action is, and these guns had no scope mounting obstacles as the CZ's.

Full Disclosure regarding CZ's: I really like my 527 .17 Hornet and 550FS Mannlicher 6.5x55! So if you want new, CZ is probably the best choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top