JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lead bullet bans exist in other places, namely commiefornia. I guarantee more lead splitshot and sinkers end up in the environment than 50 years worth of bullets fired at big game.

You're probably right about the fishing lures being a bigger source of lead. The primary problem with lead bullets is that things killed by them(outside of harvested big game) get eaten by other critters. Lead accumulates to toxic levels in scavengers and primary predators. The die off of big predators/scavengers like the California Condor have directly been tied to lead poisoning.

I grew up spending lots of time in the woods in Idaho. I have great memories of experiencing wildlife first hand. I personally want my grandkids and subsequent generations get to have the same experience with wildlife growing up and as an adult. Using different ammo is a small way I can help ensure the health and viability of our wildlife and wildland systems. I am happy to do it.

You're probably right about the fishing lures being a bigger source of lead. The primary problem with lead bullets is that things killed by them(outside of harvested big game) get eaten by other critters. Lead accumulates to toxic levels in scavengers and primary predators. The die off of big predators/scavengers like the California Condor have directly been tied to lead poisoning.

I grew up spending lots of time in the woods in Idaho. I have great memories of experiencing wildlife first hand. I personally want my grandkids and subsequent generations get to have the same experience with wildlife growing up and as an adult. Using different ammo is a small way I can help ensure the health and viability of our wildlife and wildland systems. I am happy to do it.

I would have to see the studies and I might not have an issue with using non-toxic for hunting only, but I'm not supportive of a total ban.

There arent any non-toxic bullets that have the same terminal performance envelope that jacketed bullets have. Copper bullets just dont expand well at longer ranges and slower velocities. I'd also like to see a comparison of environmental impact of copper mining vs lead bullet use for hunting.

I would have to see the studies and I might not have an issue with using non-toxic for hunting only, but I'm not supportive of a total ban.

There arent any non-toxic bullets that have the same terminal performance envelope that jacketed bullets have. Copper bullets just dont expand well at longer ranges and slower velocities. I'd also like to see a comparison of environmental impact of copper mining vs lead bullet use for hunting.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the impacts of certain types of mining greatly outweighs the impacts of lead bullets on the landscape. I understand that mining is critical for Americans and the whole world to operate with the quality of life we have come to expect. I am certain that better practices that have less impact are available, it's simply a matter of being cost-effective or adhering to some standard set by legislation. As an individual I can only have a small voice in environmental matters, just one vote.

On the other hand when I am hunting I can take direct action--shooting non-toxic ammo. As far as the performance of the ammo, well I just have to be a better hunter. Getting closer and shooting more precisely are a big part of the excitement of the hunt for me anyway.

There's an ethical thing to this too as far as hunters go for me. Rooster gets up at 30 yds. Dog is on him. Me and my 1200, get ready for dinner thor. Lead 6's, birds down. Thor gets a good sniff and fetch. Now, mandated steel shot. Rooster gets up at 30 yds. Dog is on him. Me and my 1200, steel 4,s at 1550 fps. Bird is hit, keeps going, thor looks back at me and says "what was that dumbass"? Howbout this, let's mandate that all police and military must use steel shot in their service weapons? Thinking there might be some negative feedback. Just me.

Lets see now, Lead IS a natural occurring element in the earth, it's relatively easy to find and process, and then guess what, we sportsmen put it back in the earth at some times high speeds! Where IS the problem? This is nothing but a bunch of critter lovers push for hunting and fishing regulations to yet undermine the sportsmen even more, They want to force us to stop, by removing things that make us successful at harvesting food! Barbless fish hooks ( Jesus Henry Christ His Self used barbed hooks) Lead has been used for THOUSANDS of years for both hunting AND fishing, Cross bow's, Lets just stop right there before Ura-Ki pops a blood vessel to the brain! Enough is enough all ready!:mad::mad::mad:

Take your pick.
lead poisoning in animals bullets - Google Scholar

Oh, and if you want to read a full text but cannot access it due to licensing I am happy to get it for you.

I say again " I want a report form a group that does not have a anti hunting / anti gun bias.."

Plus if you can't get a term correct in the title... just how good is the rest of the information?
( "animals bullets" ? really...:rolleyes: )

Show me findings from someone who does not have a dog in this fight and then I'll be more inclined to believe the findings.
Andy

Last Edited:
The article is just another look at the "revolving doors"; people going out of a "public trust" position (where a product is either banned or required by law) and into a private sector where the product or it's replacement is manufactured or sold.

What were the lead levels in ALL wildlife before mankind started using it? Without that starting point, an authentic asymptote cannot possibly be determined.

I call it Crony Capitalism! It occurs in every single sector of every level of government; City Council, County, State, Feds; OSHA, BOLI, EPA, DOI, CSB, SEC, FCC, DOE, DOD, and the list goes on and on.

President Eisenhower warned us about the perils of an industrial complex controlling the decisions of government.....

Stop the "revolving doors" and you stop the problem.

Even if this junk-science rule manages to survive; don't waste any time looking for obedience.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top