JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
what did you use to determine the dimensions of the pond (width & depth)?
We had gold fish in our decorative pond, 'had' being the operative word there. Don't know if it was the neighbor's cat or the raccoons that got 'em but they were gone within a couple months. That might be a consideration for you as you ponder dimensions. That or consider the fishies as *bait* rather than crop for your protein needs.

I'd think dimensions might be very dependent on the type of fish and your environment. I've seen trout introduced into a pond that didn't do well because it was too small to keep cool through the summer -- and that was 20' x 25' -ish (don't know how deep.) More shade might have made the difference there.

Are you thinking tilapia or something?

MrB

I've helped build one for my friends parents for Koi. They did all the research and wanted it about 5' deep. We ended up building it about 15'x18'x5' with a waterfall and meandering stream.

You just need to decide what fish you want and then the info is readily available as to minimum depth and such.

Don't know how big you are planning but out at the farm the state of Oregon said they own the water. We where looking at a 60 to 80' pond about 12 to 18' deep.

SF-

+1. I wouldn't worry about a small back yard decorative pond, but if it's a serious pond you need a permit to excavate, and the state owns the water.

We have a case pending right now where some people built a rather large (4 acre) pond on a farm WITH a permit from the county, but the state stepped in and called it a mine and stopped it. Now the "criminals" may have to fill it back in. If it was a mine, it was a gravel mine. Link

"Jackson County had issued a permit to build an agricultural pond, but officials from the state Department of Land Conservation and Development and the Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries both considered it a mining operation."

I happen to be a landscape architect and a contractor that has built many ponds. it all depon the type of fish you want to raise. Trout require deeper cooler water and bass and other warm water fish can stand shallower warmer water. Depth and cover is of the utmost importance if you do not want the raccoons or other critters to get to your fish.

water must have aeration and flow. some sort of water fall size depends on size of body of water. draw water from one end of the pond and have it fall in the other to create some flow. I could go into much more detail but if you send me your email I can send you some good info.

I happen to be a landscape architect and a contractor that has built many ponds. it all depon the type of fish you want to raise. Trout require deeper cooler water and bass and other warm water fish can stand shallower warmer water. Depth and cover is of the utmost importance if you do not want the raccoons or other critters to get to your fish.

water must have aeration and flow. some sort of water fall size depends on size of body of water. draw water from one end of the pond and have it fall in the other to create some flow. I could go into much more detail but if you send me your email I can send you some good info.

How about ice in the winter? Do you know the answer for that? A lot of people in Or and Wash and Id live in places that see serious sustained sub zero temps in the winter. Our family place in E. Oregon will see many sub zero days.

Thanks. :s0155:

??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews